Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright object in NE/NNE sky

Options
  • 16-06-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Dublin (light pollution) and there's a bit of cloud cover too so only the brightest objects can be seen.

There's one fairly low in the sky in the NE/NNE that I can't identify. Bright and no apparent movement to the naked eye. KStars shows Jupiter as close to there but is still supposed to be below the horizon at this time, and the daylight time setting appears to be correct.

Mars and Saturn are in the SW and I can definitely see Mars which is nice and bright, there is a less bright object further south which I presume is Saturn, didn't think it would be possible to observe Saturn in Dublin with the naked eye so that's a pleasant surprise if so.

So what's my mystery object in the NE?

Life ain't always empty.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Might be the bright star Capella.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah I saw Capella (among many others) on the chart, just didn't think it would be that bright, it wasn't even fully dark (or as close to dark as it gets here!) the sky was still distinctly blue in that direction at the time.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement