Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American sports store

• 15-06-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭

Would this kind of store last in Ireland. selling the likes of hockey gear etc jerseys, T-shirts and Nfl jerseys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

cena wrote: »
    Would this kind of store last in Ireland. selling the likes of hockey gear etc jerseys, T-shirts and Nfl jerseys

It would have to cover the four major North American sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) as well as NASCAR and possibly MLS ( I saw quite a few LA Galaxy - David Beckham kits a few years ago).

If it was located in the right area (and the prices were not in the tradition of Rip-off Ireland) I think it might have a chance at succeeding.

The majority of kids in Dublin are walking around with foreign based team's jerseys anyway. It would be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I think it could succeed as well. Ideally it wouldn't just be focused on selling clothes items. I think if it sold items like DVD's, Magazines and even equipment then they'd definitely be catering for a wide range of people.

Having said that I think a store like that should definitely open an online base first to gauge people's interest levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I would like too if some one would open a store like this too. But the only thing is were would be the right place for a store like this. I woundn't mind opening this store but I never did business in school. Also you would have too work hard too get the companys too sell there stuff in ireland and I wouldn't know were too start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Mahers sports in Cork used to sell Hockey jerseys, they sell NBA jerseys still, cant see why they couldnt sell a couple Canadiens or Bruins tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SEAMUS75

I bought an NFL jersey from an ebay store in the UK a few weeks ago and he asked me if there were any stores in Ireland that stocked them as he was looking to increase his sales in Ireland but couldnt find anyone who stocked them.... I wish I had a store!! Cant think why no-one has opened one??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As someone who looked into the option a few years back the problem is overheads and the way the major sports companies sell their stock on to retailers. I wont name them but they are not the easy to work with when looking for specifics and their first minimum orders are huge. Anyone opening a shop would want a huge amount of starting cash to cover all the major US sports and also their overheads.

The cost alone id say is why no one has properly ventured down that road.

As someone who looked into the option a few years back the problem is overheads and the way the major sports companies sell their stock on to retailers. I wont name them but they are not the easy to work with when looking for specifics and their first minimum orders are huge. Anyone opening a shop would want a huge amount of starting cash to cover all the major US sports and also their overheads.

The cost alone id say is why no one has properly ventured down that road.

Why not just target NFL for a start... it seems bizarre that we have nothing, when France, Germany, England, Scotland, all seems to have stores... surely its worth a bit of a gamble... based on what I have read on here, there is the demand and people are shouting out for one.

Can you do a poll on this thing? Would be interesting to see

SHOULD SOMEONE OPEN AN NFL STORE IN IRELAND. YES / NO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

SEAMUS75 wrote: »
    Why not just target NFL for a start... it seems bizarre that we have nothing, when France, Germany, England, Scotland, all seems to have stores... surely its worth a bit of a gamble... based on what I have read on here, there is the demand and people are shouting out for one.

Can you do a poll on this thing? Would be interesting to see

SHOULD SOMEONE OPEN AN NFL STORE IN IRELAND. YES / NO :)

The problem I see with selling the jersey is that aren't cheap and not everyone has the money. Take the NHL authentic jerseys they are nearly €300 by the time it gets too house.

I would really like too one of these store open here. Where would one even start when looking into doing something like this.

Also that NHL store in new York is
    A great store. I was like a big kid when I went into it last year.

Hi

It could be dont with past players as those jerseys are a fraction of the price of the brand new current player jerseys...

e.g. new Buccs Jerseys cost £39.99... past player ones are £20 - £25 and the guy who I got my Marino from said he could supply anyone who was doing them and still give them a good profit, but just couldnt find anyone. I wish I had the money, even just to open an ebay store over here and do it... but I'm stuck in a call centre all day! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

SEAMUS75 wrote: »
    Hi

It could be dont with past players as those jerseys are a fraction of the price of the brand new current player jerseys...

e.g. new Buccs Jerseys cost £39.99... past player ones are £20 - £25 and the guy who I got my Marino from said he could supply anyone who was doing them and still give them a good profit, but just couldnt find anyone. I wish I had the money, even just to open an ebay store over here and do it... but I'm stuck in a call centre all day! lol

To be honest at that price it sounds like he is importing them from Asia and they are counterfeit probably why he is only selling them on Ebay. I know guys who have shops in the UK and Europe and there is know way they would be able to sell any of the real deal ones for those low costs as they are below the recommended RRP by Reebok.

With customs stepping up their game the last thing anyone wants to get caught with as a respectable business is counterfeit products no matter how good they look.

• Advertisement

Hi

As I said, I bought mine from him and its the real deal and he has loads of good feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

cena wrote: »
    The problem I see with selling the jersey is that aren't cheap and not everyone has the money.

Stocking could be a problem too. You'd have to consider all the different sizes as well as possibly selling alternate or throwbacks ones as well as home and away too. When you consider there's 32 teams in the NFL then that's a lot of stocking that needs to be done! Having that sort of choice is a necessity though imo.

Advertisement