Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

the fact they postponed a south american tour and returned to Europe (I was surprised to see the last marley park gig here) to rip out the last of the Euros before the crash, backs up your statement!!! It's not about places they'd like to play it's about markets!! Notice they played nearly every year of the celtic tiger!! That was no accident. They actually thought the Euro was collapsing at the time.

This probably why they spend so much time in Asia, Australia and now China, all booming economies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well it is the music BUSINESS.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

seachto7 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, it was a great gig (96 in the point). The dvd is very good too, bar those few minutes with yer man swinging off the ladder! I thought the Load material comes across VERY well live on it.

Load is a VERY underrated album imo.

Of course, that's why we'll never see them here until the next economic cycle. By that time they will probably have retired, Kirk said he's itching to take a couple of years off. He's on record saying he's a pain in his nuts touring to make money, it's not like the "old" days where you release an album and reap the rewards.

It's just going through the motions for him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When we're young we all think that the bands we think the bands we like are all about the music and the fans etc. but as you get older you realise that musicians for the most part, are like the rest of us and it's all about making as much money as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

When we're young we all think that the bands we think the bands we like are all about the music and the fans etc. but as you get older you realise that musicians for the most part, are like the rest of us and it's all about making as much money as you can.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So, shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    **** you, buddy.

truer words

(although not metallica)

Metallica made no money until the end of 1986, they just wanted to get píssed, play and screw women. It only became a business after they sobered up and started making decisions that their management were making before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Mission to Lars is on Film Four tonight at 10.55pm.

DVRs at the ready ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well like most folk in their early 20s there is no major need to think about money just get pissed and have fun. But there comes a time when you have to think of some part of it as a business. I wouldn't blame them for that only if they start making musical decisions in the interest of making more money. If they were not thinking of it as a business by now something would be wrong. I think it's just logical.
    What other metal band can say in 2013 "we're not in this to make any money"? Then why are you touring? It's a job so why not make $$$. However there is also taking the piss....
    I think Metallica should retire at this stage.

Well like most folk in their early 20s there is no major need to think about money just get pissed and have fun. But there comes a time when you have to think of some part of it as a business. I wouldn't blame them for that only if they start making musical decisions in the interest of making more money. If they were not thinking of it as a business by now something would be wrong. I think it's just logical.
    What other metal band can say in 2013 "we're not in this to make any money"? Then why are you touring? It's a job so why not make $$$. However there is also taking the piss....
    I think Metallica should retire at this stage.

I can imagine Metallica these days, sitting a board room in San Francisco, looking at the world map, evaluating the dollar signs per region, and kirk getting píssed off that it costs him €40,000 per month to run his ranch, other than that he spends most of his time surfing on china beach.

• Advertisement

Does anyone think death magnetic was really forced, vocal wise? I thought it certainly was and that Ricks "engineering" was rubbish, I was told that the "crackly" sound only appeared on the cd's, but I have the digital version and it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

They're releasing an 'official soundtrack' for the film. What a load of cack. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

sentient_6 wrote: »
    They're releasing an 'official soundtrack' for the film. What a load of cack. :rolleyes:

And that's exactly what any other band would do. Funny seeing the flak Metallica are copping for this yet you rarely see Maiden get flamed for the myriad of videos/dvds they've released or the multiple compilations they've brought out.

All bands are out to make money,no matter how much they say its about being an artist or for the fans. Metallica's downfall is that they've been relatively open about it in recent years and that their management gave an interview to the Wall Street Journal outlining the bands touring plans and the impact that the recession in Europe would have on it. They weren't saying anything that every other band and their management hadn't discussed already,it was just that they said so publically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Well its a pet hate of mine anyway. Whatever about 'they', the masses think. I didn't see the point or benefit of the latest Kreator live release for instance, incredibly soon after the new proper album which i found weird. It rehashes the usual live stables along with a few from the new album that don't gain anything from being presented that way. I can't see what even a hardcore fan would get out buying those sort of releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Well its a pet hate of mine anyway. Whatever about 'they', the masses think. I didn't see the point or benefit of the latest Kreator live release for instance, incredibly soon after the new proper album which i found weird. It rehashes the usual live stables along with a few from the new album that don't gain anything from being presented that way. I can't see what even a hardcore fan would get out buying those sort of releases.

The likes of live releases are often driven by record labels,managers and accountants rather than the bands themselves. Often as well they're a handy way for a band to finish a contract with a record label if they've one album to do. Throw out a live disc or greatest hits,job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Does anyone think death magnetic was really forced, vocal wise? I thought it certainly was and that Ricks "engineering" was rubbish, I was told that the "crackly" sound only appeared on the cd's, but I have the digital version and it's the same.

Terribly engineered. The clipping comes across strongly on the vinyl too. The best version is theguitar hero mix, if you can "obtain" it ;) iit's a damn shame too, as I think the album is fucking amazing otherwise

lord lucan wrote: »
    The likes of live releases are often driven by record labels,managers and accountants rather than the bands themselves. Often as well they're a handy way for a band to finish a contract with a record label if they've one album to do. Throw out a live disc or greatest hits,job done.

Probably true in most cases but in this case the record is being released on Blackened Records, the band's own label so they're on both sides of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

lord lucan wrote: »
    And that's exactly what any other band would do. Funny seeing the flak Metallica are copping for this yet you rarely see Maiden get flamed for the myriad of videos/dvds they've released or the multiple compilations they've brought out.

All bands are out to make money,no matter how much they say its about being an artist or for the fans. Metallica's downfall is that they've been relatively open about it in recent years and that their management gave an interview to the Wall Street Journal outlining the bands touring plans and the impact that the recession in Europe would have on it. They weren't saying anything that every other band and their management hadn't discussed already,it was just that they said so publically.

Many of the Maiden live albums and compilations released in the last decade to 15 years have come with groans which grew louder with each new release. Been a lot of criticism that headed their way from fans and also from some of the metal media.

What possibly buys Maiden some grace is the fact that they have managed to release a lot more new material in that period when compared to Metallica.

Metallica have released only two studio albums (none of which came even close to being a classic Metallica album) in the past 15 years, where an older band like Maiden has released five studio albums (one of which could arguably stand alongside the classic albums) in the same period of time.

Personally I don't see the fuss either way. If I want one of the newer Maiden or Metallica live releases then I buy them, if I don't want them then I keep my money.

Kess73 wrote: »

Personally I don't see the fuss either way. If I want one of the newer Maiden or Metallica live releases then I buy them, if I don't want them then I keep my money.

Couldn't agree more. No one's forcing anyone to buy everything that's released, either by Metallica, Maiden or any other band. If you think they're taking the piss by releasing a live album every week, then just don't buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Couldn't agree more. No one's forcing anyone to buy everything that's released, either by Metallica, Maiden or any other band. If you think they're taking the piss by releasing a live album every week, then just don't buy them.

It's 3/4 a week when they're on tour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Of course, that's why we'll never see them here until the next economic cycle. By that time they will probably have retired, Kirk said he's itching to take a couple of years off. He's on record saying he's a pain in his nuts touring to make money, it's not like the "old" days where you release an album and reap the rewards.

It's just going through the motions for him anyway.

That just takes the piss, the guy is hardly overworked, make album, tour for a few months, take a month off, tour for a few months, another month or 2 off, then a big 12 month break after a tour with a handful of gigs thrown in, wtf is wrong with some people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

As sh1tty jobs go, having thousands of people screaming worship whilst you play a few pentatonics on a massive stage with huge amps every night isn't so bad.

As sh1tty jobs go, having thousands of people screaming worship whilst you play a few pentatonics on a massive stage with huge amps every night isn't so bad.

Eh, don't forget that he also has to rape a wah pedal every chance he gets!

Don't get me wrong, I love the man, he's the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place, but, C'mon Kirk, let the wah go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Isn't there a term used to describe his liberal use of the wah, something like wah vomiting?

Are metallica lyrics good? I'm having a hard time determining whether they're poetic, Hetfield certainly has a biblical/antiquated way of phrasing things.

Isn't there a term used to describe his liberal use of the wah, something like wah vomiting?

Are metallica lyrics good? I'm having a hard time determining whether they're poetic, Hetfield certainly has a biblical/antiquated way of phrasing things.

He does, he keeps referring to his "higher power" for the "gift of music" and even has a tattoo referring to it. I think it's a cool tattoo. Of course the illuminati conspiracy theorists have had a field day with it because the all seeing eye is on it. bloody eejits:rolleyes:

It has an eye, then an angel handing James musical song nots through flames, he said Jack Ruby took a polaroid of his hand for the tattoo. I think it's fecking brilliant, just sums up his musical ability down to a "T" and there's also "clifford Lee Burton" and the bass part to Orion in the tattoo.

Kirk is still a moan bag though. Píssed off touring, Píssed off his ranch is costing 40 grand to run, píssed off that his last home didn't sell for more than he paid for it, Píssed off that people take pics of him surfing. I think he just moans a lot these days.

James, cool tattoo.

He does, he keeps referring to his "higher power" for the "gift of music" and even has a tattoo referring to it. I think it's a cool tattoo. Of course the illuminati conspiracy theorists have had a field day with it because the all seeing eye is on it. bloody eejits:rolleyes:

It has an eye, then an angel handing James musical song nots through flames, he said Jack Ruby took a polaroid of his hand for the tattoo. I think it's fecking brilliant, just sums up his musical ability down to a "T" and there's also "clifford Lee Burton" and the bass part to Orion in the tattoo.

Kirk is still a moan bag though. Píssed off touring, Píssed off his ranch is costing 40 grand to run, píssed off that his last home didn't sell for more than he paid for it, Píssed off that people take pics of him surfing. I think he just moans a lot these days.

James, cool tattoo.

I always thought James was quite against religion? Isn't the god that failed about how his ma refused medication and chose prayer instead when she died? (Waiver: could be wrong there!)

I know I read that he said he doesn't see his lyrics as poetic. He writes the music first then makes the lyrics fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I always thought James was quite against religion? Isn't the god that failed about how his ma refused medication and chose prayer instead when she died? (Waiver: could be wrong there!)

I know I read that he said he doesn't see his lyrics as poetic. He writes the music first then makes the lyrics fit.

You're 100% correct about TGTF. I think he made peace with his Dad over the religion stuff shortly before he died in the mid 90's??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

You're 100% correct about TGTF. I think he made peace with his Dad over the religion stuff shortly before he died in the mid 90's??

TGTF is about his mother's Christian Scientist beliefs , Until it Sleeps is about his father's cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the higher power comes directly from rehab *since 2003ish" it's not specifically religion it's to help stay off the beer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it is religion though... they don't call it that to sucker in the agnostics but it is.

Advertisement