Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee's burgers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

For lunch today, I fried one of the Spicy Bean Burgers with a little bit of garlic powder and black pepper, sliced it up and had it in 2 pitta breads with lettuce, hummous and some spicy relish nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I bought the Spicy Bean Burgers in Superquinn in Dublin, I couldn't find them in Cork (we got the free pittas and sample jar of ballymaloe relish), I got them for something diff to eat for my partner, he doesn't eat meat and we all had a taste. None of us liked them, they had a very strong taste of aniseed. I know there's a lot of diff spices in them as they are spicy bean burgers, but none of these are listed on the packaging. I do think they are expensive (but I understand where the costings go as explained by Dee) but I'm afraid now to buy the other ones (omega burger) in case they have the same taste. These ones were not for us. But best of luck to Dee on her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Hi Oleander, thanks for the feedback. I can confirm that there is fennel in our spice blend, and normally this is not overtly apparent. Perhaps there was a spice "pocket" was concentrated in the burgers, they are handmade and sometimes small variations do occur. I do find from doing in-store tastings that people either prefer the spicy one or the milder one being the Omega Burger. The Omega Burger is not overtly seasoned so people can do different things with it, maybe you would prefer this one. I can send you on some recipes to try out if you do decide to try it out. Thanks for the feedback my email is info@dees.ie if you wish to contact me. Kind regards. Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Hello Dee,

I don't like to criticize anything but I know feedback is important and I wanted to say it in a nice way. Thank you for your reply and I will definitely try the Omega burgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

saw these the other day in tesco. was going to buy a pack but saw the price! 4 euro for two burgers. not a hope in hell would i pay that. absolute rip off

• Advertisement

According to Superquinn.ie , they work out at €17.35 per kg which, in my opinion, compares favourably to fresh, organic ready meals. They aren't cheap compared to something like Bird's Eye Vegetable Quarter Pounders but a quick look at the ingredients and nutritional info shows why.

pedantic: the price is clearly displayed before you purchase => it's not a rip-off

Absurdum wrote: »
    According to Superquinn.ie , they work out at €17.35 per kg which, in my opinion, compares favourably to fresh, organic ready meals. They aren't cheap compared to something like Bird's Eye Vegetable Quarter Pounders but a quick look at the ingredients and nutritional info shows why.

pedantic: the price is clearly displayed before you purchase => it's not a rip-off

am yes it is. when you can buy 8 green isle veggie burgers for 4 euro and 2 of dees burgers for 4 euro, it clearly displays that dees are an absolute rip off.

i cant see why small businesses like dees dont lower prices and compete with the larger ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

paky wrote: »
    am yes it is. when you can buy 8 green isle veggie burgers for 4 euro and 2 of dees burgers for 4 euro, it clearly displays that dees are an absolute rip off.

i cant see why small businesses like dees dont lower prices and compete with the larger ones.

because you don't understand business? Cost? Audience? Why does a newsagent not lower prices to match tesco?
    You need to grow to lower prices.

And anyway, it's like asking why don't fererro rocher lower prices to match animal bars. :p

if you're happy with Green Isle burgers than go for it, that's your choice, ergo not a rip-off

They are a massive company, they treat their workers like ****e and their burgers are probably full of crap.

because you don't understand business? Cost? Audience? Why does a newsagent not lower prices to match tesco?
    You need to grow to lower prices.

And anyway, it's like asking why don't fererro rocher lower prices to match animal bars. :p

oh i know business alright. i also know a bad deal when i see one and sorry theres no comparison between a box of chocolates and bar of chocolate. yer deluding yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

oh i know business alright

I'll bite: I'm not sure you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claire_b56

the pitta and relish promotion will be in tesco maynooth tomora so hopefully work out cheaper for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrshiv

Yes, bought some spicey bean burgers and they're really the worst things I've ever tried. So bad that I threw them away after the first couple of mouthfuls! Even Tesco's SBBs are way better, so you can tell how bad they are. tried the "contact us" link to complain but oddly enough I was unable to get a message to go through. All I can say is don't waste your money - get a veggie burger from the local Chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

mrshiv wrote: »
    tried the "contact us" link to complain but oddly enough I was unable to get a message to go through.
    Well if you had even bothered to read the rest of the thread you'd know you can contact them at info@dees.ie...
    Thanks for the feedback my email is info@dees.ie if you wish to contact me. Kind regards. Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Bought these the other day, can't wait to try em! Will get back with my review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm popping back in here to say I've actually bought these a couple of times since my somewhat negative review. And they've grown on me a bit :)

I still don't think the spicy bean burger is particularly spicy, but that's probably my palate. And I still think €4 is a bit steep, even if that is beyond Dee's control. But it is nice to have a reasonably tasty vegan burger available in a supermarket, to be able to buy a healthy convenience food, and to support an Irish business. So I'm going to continue treating myself to these occasionally. Thumbs up Dee :)

P.S. Any chance of a bit of cumin or something in the bean burger? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm popping back in here to say I've actually bought these a couple of times since my somewhat negative review. And they've grown on me a bit :)

I still don't think the spicy bean burger is particularly spicy, but that's probably my palate. And I still think €4 is a bit steep, even if that is beyond Dee's control. But it is nice to have a reasonably tasty vegan burger available in a supermarket, to be able to buy a healthy convenience food, and to support an Irish business. So I'm going to continue treating myself to these occasionally. Thumbs up Dee :)

P.S. Any chance of a bit of cumin or something in the bean burger? Please?

Is this the two-pack spicy bean burger?? I only noticed my local Dunnes has started stocking Dees, so I picked up the spicy bean burgers, looking forward to trying them out :) Though if it is the two-pack you're talking about, I just paid €2.79 for them, reasonable enough. It wasn't a promotional price either =/

I think Dunnes are doing €1 off at the moment, that's why they were cheaper. Dee won an award at the SFA awards thing the other day too and was on the Late Late last week too. Move over Ronald McDonald!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ohhhh I didn't realise she was on the Late Late. Might check it out on the rte player...

actually it was 2 weeks ago, here's the link to the show
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1092131

it was the bit about Dragon's Den

edit: 12:30 in

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

My sister used to work with her so I had to support her and buy them.
    I found they tasted like cardboard actually tbh.Today I had Green Isle spicy burgers and they are gorgeous ,and Im not even a veggie .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's now 2014 and I wish I had read this thread before buying, I got the spicy burgers today and I'd say there was more flavour in the packaging. Opening the pack there was grease proof paper separating the burgers and when removed the burger was wet and soggy against the paper, dry and curled on the top.
    The taste and consistency was of boiled crushed beans with a bit of curry powder thrown in, there was no seasoning that I could make out and I ended up putting soy sauce and chinese 5 spice on to make them somewhat edible. When I tweeted dee's wholefoods saying they tasted of cardboard with curry power thrown in I got the reply "there's no curry powder but thanks for your feedback xx"
    I've done some more looking on line and the "tasteless" or "cardboard" theme is still happening to this day and i cannot see anything from the company to say they are dealing with it or even acknowledging the fact that there seems to be an issue. At €4 for 2 burgers I expect quality, taste and I should not have to add relish, spices or other things to make them taste nice plus at that price they should not be regarded at a bulking product for buns etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's now 2014 and I wish I had read this thread before buying, I got the spicy burgers today and I'd say there was more flavour in the packaging. Opening the pack there was grease proof paper separating the burgers and when removed the burger was wet and soggy against the paper, dry and curled on the top.
    The taste and consistency was of boiled crushed beans with a bit of curry powder thrown in, there was no seasoning that I could make out and I ended up putting soy sauce and chinese 5 spice on to make them somewhat edible. When I tweeted dee's wholefoods saying they tasted of cardboard with curry power thrown in I got the reply "there's no curry powder but thanks for your feedback xx"
    I've done some more looking on line and the "tasteless" or "cardboard" theme is still happening to this day and i cannot see anything from the company to say they are dealing with it or even acknowledging the fact that there seems to be an issue. At €4 for 2 burgers I expect quality, taste and I should not have to add relish, spices or other things to make them taste nice plus at that price they should not be regarded at a bulking product for buns etc.
    That's what I said. I haven't bought them since, cardboard is not a good flavour.

sent them "Cajun spice maybe and seems I'm not the only one who's not impressed. At €3.99 for 2 burgers I expect taste and quality"
    I can tell you the SPAMBOT response I got via DM on twitter shows how much they care about their customers "Thanks for the follow, find our tasty vegan food on Ocado in the UK and Tesco Ireland xxx Dee" Who replies to a complaint with that!

Add to that deleting the advert on their facbook page for the spicy burgers that had my comment below about tasting of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Hello,

Dee's is not a big company, it is literally one person, me. You have posted complaints on three different sites to which I have responded and also on waking this morning also offered to refund your purchase if you emailed me to info@dees.ie I have not received an email yet. Our burgers don't taste of cardboard they taste of Aduki beans and millet ( listed as the two ingredients ) not everybody likes our food and that's ok because lots of people love our food. Our burgers have been on sale since 2007. Again if you'd like a refund please email me your address. I moderate my facebook page and I do delete posts regularly it's nothing to do with your complaint. I deleted 5 posts this morning in total.

spookwoman wrote: »
    sent them "Cajun spice maybe and seems I'm not the only one who's not impressed. At €3.99 for 2 burgers I expect taste and quality"
    I can tell you the SPAMBOT response I got via DM on twitter shows how much they care about their customers "Thanks for the follow, find our tasty vegan food on Ocado in the UK and Tesco Ireland xxx Dee" Who replies to a complaint with that!

Add to that deleting the advert on their facbook page for the spicy burgers that had my comment below about tasting of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Some people don't recognise quality when they taste it Dee and would like to drag us all down to their salty level.... I'm sure at this stage you've learnt how to treat the begrudgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Where can I get these burgers? I can take a trip to Tralee or Limerick to get a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

ch750536 wrote: »
    Where can I get these burgers? I can take a trip to Tralee or Limerick to get a sample.
    Tesco Traleee

Slaphead07 what makes you think salt would help there are other veg out there that are used for flavoring eg onion and garlic which are very healthy. Still no refund and I noticed you blocked me on Twitter after you posted on here, I guess people are not allowed to post bad reviews on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Spookswoman- if Dees response is correct- that you have posted on three different public forums about your opinion of the burgers- then quite frankly I don't blame her from blocking you. She's trying to run a business not poison you!

If you want to follow up on the refund then why couldn't you send a second email without the public tantrum?

It's a burger-you didn't like it- get over it!

I'm not a fan of the burgers myself but love the sausages.

Advertisement