Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

davmol wrote: »
    And he will also say that before a fight that he doesn't need a camp.If he says I haven't had time to prepare my cardio for an intense 5 round fight and I will gas,its kind of giving a lot away to his opponent.

He wasn't breathless inside 2 minutes, he was still going strong after7 and it was almost at the 10 minute mark that McGregor finished him.

I thought Mendes stared looking tired before the end of the 1st round to be honest. His mouth was already hanging open by then. He got a couple of takedowns which he kinda sat in for a while throwing the odd punch but once McGregor got up from the 2nd takedown, Mendes looked close to spent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

davmol wrote:
    He wasn't breathless inside 2 minutes, he was still going strong after7 and it was almost at the 10 minute mark that McGregor finished him.

Haha. I suggest you watch that fight again. Keep an eye on Mendes face. He was exhausted after 2minutes. Look at him on the stool after the first round, he was struggling to breath.

I'm trying to screenshot it for you but the clock doesn't seem to be shown on any of the videos on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

dave1982 wrote: »
    Chael's newest words from behind the scenes, conor took persuading to take the Aldo fight this time round

What is he saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I don't get why people discount Aldos striking.His fight are won predominantly by striking and /or wearing down opponents by striking.

Look at his leg kicks against faber and his striking against Cub,in fact just look at his striking in all his fights.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Haha. I suggest you watch that fight again. Keep an eye on Mendes face. He was exhausted after 2minutes. Look at him on the stool after the first round, he was struggling to breath.

I'm trying to screenshot it for you but the clock doesn't seem to be shown on any of the videos on YouTube.

He still managed to take MCg down at will and hold him down

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »
    Chael's newest words from behind the scenes, conor took persuading to take the Aldo fight this time round

A couple of days ago he was saying Aldo would pull out. Chael likes to keep his name out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Any stations showing the weigh in tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

He still managed to take MCg down at will and hold him down

At will? If i remember correctly Conor stuffed three takedown attempts? Maybe two? And he had absolutely nothing to offer on his feet.

py2006 wrote: »
    Any stations showing the weight in tonight?

They are usually streamed live on YouTube i think.

At will? If i remember correctly Conor stuffed three takedown attempts? Maybe two? And he had absolutely nothing to offer on his feet.

Really?Read the below.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/analysis-mcgregors-weaknesses-were-exposed-by-mendes-but-he-showed-a-champions-calm-in-victory/32147

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

They are usually streamed live on YouTube i think.

11pm ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I NEVER thought I'd find myself typing 'I wish Chael would go away'. He's high school girl gossiping 'behind the scene's' is getting very annoying.

Don't trust Chael when he says neither Aldo or McGregor want the fight. Same as don't trust Chad when he says he only had 2 weeks. I guarantee you if that fight was with Aldo instead of Conor, Chad would have no problem admitting he was beaten by body strikes but he has a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to Conor (like a lot of the 145) so I can't trust anything he says about the fight.

Just heard that flight that was turned around on the news, Jaysus, absolute sickner for any actual mma fans making the journey getting stuck with them.

To anyone from here over Vegas, have a great weekend lads.....ya bastards.

haha. hard to argue with that. Genuinely though I only recall Mendes taking him down twice in the first round. One from the grabbed flying knee which Conor got straight back up from and one where he ended up on top of him for the round. I though Conor stuffed one in round 1. So 2/3 for round one. Not sure where the 75% comes from.
    I stand by my "offered nothing on his feet" comment though. I thought he was completely outclassed in the striking department.

OmegaRed wrote: »
    11pm ya?

I thought it was 12 but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I thought it was 12 but not sure.

It's 11. 3pm here in Vegas

haha. hard to argue with that. Genuinely though I only recall Mendes taking him down twice in the first round. One from the grabbed flying knee which Conor got straight back up from and one where he ended up on top of him for the round. I though Conor stuffed one in round 1. So 2/3 for round one. Not sure where the 75% comes from.
    I stand by my "offered nothing on his feet" comment though. I thought he was completely outclassed in the striking department.

Mendes attempted 7 takedowns. Was successful with 4 of them. 3 stuffed.

Wonder how his weight cut is going.

py2006 wrote:
    Any stations showing the weight in tonight?

11pm on BT sports or Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't get why people discount Aldos striking.His fight are won predominantly by striking and /or wearing down opponents by striking.

Look at his leg kicks against faber and his striking against Cub,in fact just look at his striking in all his fights.

Don't think people discount his striking, it is up there with the very best but it is not the are he has a distinct advantage over McGregor, McGregor has a very good offensive output and pressure when it comes to striking, he has the height and the reach advantage in that department and I give him the edge in power also.

As a matter of pride I expect Aldo to trade with him at times alright but I think Aldo and his camp must know the area he holds more advantage is on the ground.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

11pm on BT sports or Setanta

Just checked, BTSports 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

As a matter of pride I expect Aldo to trade with him at times alright but I think Aldo and his camp must know the area he holds more advantage is on the ground.

He didn't try to stand with Homminick wouldn't expect him to try with Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

novice fan here!
    there's particular leg kick aldo does and it involves a full swing and every muscle he has, the opponent is usually stunned as the kick connects resulting in maximum damage. devestating! Similar science to a hurler smashing a sliothar, or a golfer teeing off. Unreal seeing such force from a human!

The problem with a fully wound up kick is it should be easier to avoid. Aldo can turn those hips quick though, too quick for Faber. McGregor stance and control of distance will hopefully negate that kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What is he saying?

Very vague tbh, just said Aldo was the easy one to sign the dotted line.goes onto say it's a story for Dana white to tell

It's on his podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    He'll stand with a wrestler and wrestle with a striker.

If Aldo doesn't take him down, keep the fight on the ground and go for a decision win or try to TKO with some nice GnP then he is an idiot and deserves to lose.

He'll stand with a wrestler and wrestle with a striker.

If Aldo doesn't take him down, keep the fight on the ground and go for a decision win or try to TKO with some nice GnP then he is an idiot and deserves to lose.

Yeah, and rightfully too, glad big john is ref. He is good at standing them up.
    Actually can we have that ref last night in the sage fight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

py2006 wrote: »
    Any stations showing the weigh in tonight?

Will be streamed live on YouTube here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUpgAVwrXE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Hayden Pennyfeather

Anyone else think the drift in price for McGregor is interesting? He was solid 4/6 - even 4/7 some places - up until a week or two ago but i wouldn't be surprised to see him go evs or 11/10 before the fight.

Also I was in a paddy power shop yesterday evening and they had enhanced McGregor 1st round ko to 9/2. When i was back in today - to collect my winnings :) - it was enhanced to 11/2.

The cnuts rarely get it too wrong and I can't see any obvious reason for the drift - i'm inclined to believe that Conor is as happy with his preparation as he says and i think he has seem very focused in the last week - so i think it's strange. Maybe it's a correction him being too short but you would expect there to be a good flow of patriotic money to keep his price steady.

Anyway from a betting perspective my view is fairly simple one. I don't see Aldo ko'ing Conor - which barring a submission gives McGregor 5 rounds to ko Aldo. I just can't see Conor not landing enough clean shots to finish him in that time. Hope i'm right.

Enjoy lads.

bigkocman wrote:
    Anyone else think the drift in price for McGregor is interesting? He was solid 4/6 - even 4/7 some places - up until a week or two ago but i wouldn't be surprised to see him go evs or 11/10 before the fight.

I'd imagine alot of people lumped on Aldo. He's odds are shortening. I got Aldo by KO at 11/2 a few weeks ago, think its 7/2 now?

I have a very tasty treble done. Aldo by KO, Mendes by KO and Gunnar by sub. Have I any hope? I'd be happy to lose the money if Conor wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

JoeyJJ wrote: »

So we are in agreement essentially...

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I don't think Pride will take over Aldo, he went straight for take downs against strikers. Think he will do same.

I'd imagine alot of people lumped on Aldo. He's odds are shortening. I got Aldo by KO at 11/2 a few weeks ago, think its 7/2 now?

I have a very tasty treble done. Aldo by KO, Mendes by KO and Gunnar by sub. Have I any hope? I'd be happy to lose the money if Conor wins.

Well naturally enough - it's a two horse race so one drifting means the other is likely to shorten. Conor does fairly divide opinion so i guess it wouldn't be too surprising to see people lumping on Aldo - but i imagine there are just as many lumping on McGregor. I remember one lad had about 10k on him before 189 (before Aldo pulled out).

So it still seems strange to me to see such a big move - given that both are likely to be well backed. The bookies obviously have a different opinion than a few weeks ago.

bigkocman wrote: »
    Well naturally enough - it's a two horse race so one drifting means the other is likely to shorten. Conor does fairly divide opinion so i guess it wouldn't be too surprising to see people lumping on Aldo - but i imagine there are just as many lumping on McGregor. I remember one lad had about 10k on him before 189 (before Aldo pulled out).

So it still seems strange to me to see such a big move - given that both are likely to be well backed. The bookies obviously have a different opinion than a few weeks ago.

Whats your opinion?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Whats your opinion?

My opinion from a betting point of view is as I posted previously. I think it's a very tough one to call and as such the current odds of 10/11 vs 11/10 either way are probably fair.

In terms my opinion as to why the drift on McGregor - I'm not sure - which is why i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to why - rumored injuries, trouble making weight etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

bigkocman wrote: »
    My opinion from a betting point of view is as I posted previously. I think it's a very tough one to call and as such the current odds of 10/11 vs 11/10 either way are probably fair.

In terms my opinion as to why the drift on McGregor - I'm not sure - which is why i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to why - rumored injuries, trouble making weight etc.

Id imagine the price swing is due to the amount of people jumping on aldos inflated odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, anyone know how to get to the Fight Club entrance on Audrie Street for the weigh-ins?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I reckon Aldo shoots within twenty seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

DK224 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has a Fight Club membership that isn't going to the fight? A couple of mates are coming down from NY and i was looking to get them in with us. Anyone that can send me their weigh in barcode I'll make sure they get a fight poster
    Hopeful bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

martyos121 wrote: »
    Lads, anyone know how to get to the Fight Club entrance on Audrie Street for the weigh-ins?

I'm just gonna rock up to the main entrance and hopefully get directed from there. Asked a security guy but I'm not sure if he knew what I was on about but he said go to main entrance and down some stairs or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Good interview form these irish lads and a girl on this podcast with Chael Sonnen about UFC 194.

Chael comes in at 22 minutes.

Worth a listen

Called Chapter 194

http://www.wtspod.podbean.com/

EDIT: not much about 194 just Chael :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

What time is the weigh in on roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

zweton wrote: »
    What time is the weigh in on roughly?

11pm

you can watch here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUpgAVwrXE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

In regards to some of the "fans" that are currently gracing Las Vegas with their presence, it's pretty similar to the type who would go to one big Ireland away game every few years. There were some right morons on my flight from London to Vegas yesterday, shouting and singing, drinking straight vodka they had bought in duty free. There were a few warnings from staff but we had no delays. Some of the Irish walking around the hotels are an embarrassment, honestly I've seen 3 or 4 that wouldn't look out of place if they were sitting on O'Connell Bridge begging for money for a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kev1234

All the pros seem to be backing Aldo. I think it's very close to call but I think Aldo has a few more weapons so I would give him the edge. I might put a small bet on Aldo. That way if Aldo wins I cover the cost of the pay per view and if Conor wins I'll be delighted and I won't care about losing the bet in the slightest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Apologies to mods if i wasn't supposed to ask but i need to try, is there any website i can watch the match online live? Dont have sports channels

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Apologies to mods if i wasn't supposed to ask but i need to try, is there any website i can watch the match online live? Dont have sports channels

Ufc.Tv . You can pay for the ppv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

kev1234 wrote: »
    All the pros seem to be backing Aldo. I think it's very close to call but I think Aldo has a few more weapons so I would give him the edge. I might put a small bet on Aldo. That way if Aldo wins I cover the cost of the pay per view and if Conor wins I'll be delighted and I won't care about losing the bet in the slightest :)

I keep flipping on how this is gonna go.Couldn't bet on Aldo though so i have decided to abstain from betting on this one,value just isn't there.

A lot of the pros picking Aldo are going off Conors last fight which he won but at times he looked in trouble but a lot of factors played into that fight which won't be at play this time.His weight cut seems to be on point this time,i'm not seeing him everywhere doing too much media and he isn't facing late any change of opponents or injuries so i'm starting to feel slightly more confident at this moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Nodferatu wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057524306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm closing this thread now.
    Official thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057532470

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement