Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy quinoa?

Options
  • 17-10-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Its a really good source of protein (and delicious). I have been trying to find it over the last week or some, but to no avail :(

Thought this would be a good place to ask, do any of you know where I would be able to buy it? In the dublin area if possible!

Comments

Any healthfood shop would stock Quinoa, and Supervalu carry it in their pulse section. I'm not sure about other supermarkets.

Do you mind me asking what you do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Most health food stores stock it. I've never had a problem buying it. If in the city centre why not try Nourish on Wicklow St?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Any healthfood shop would stock Quinoa, and Supervalu carry it in their pulse section. I'm not sure about other supermarkets.

Do you mind me asking what you do with it?

I eat it :p

Sorry... Was in South America for the summer and was inroduced to it over there. Brought some back and made a lovely black bean salad with it, and just had it with pasta sauce one night but none left now. Been looking for it here in dunnes, aldi, lidl and tesco but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I bought some in Sainsbury's in Sprucefield, Lisburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

I have a bag of Tesco Quinoa unopened in the press, think I bought it in the Jervis Street Branch.

http://www.tesco.ie/healthandwellbeing/wholefoods.pdf

But it's always available in Holland & Barrett.

• Advertisement

You really didn't need to go into that detail in the vegan and vegetarian forum Sock Monster. If you are looking for universal recipes, please ask in the Food and Drink forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Yes, quinoa is usually used in the place of another carbohydrate such as rice, potato, cous cous or such the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Thanks Sweet Rasmus, I've deleted the ramblings & will move my
    query to the recipe section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

bump...
    Any one know where to get this cheaply enough? Online even?
    Its 4euro in Limerick in the local health shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

you can get it in supermarkets like Tesco and Superquinn, it looks like this
    021586.jpg

or else the Lifeforce range in most supermarkets which look like this
    lf_pulses.jpg
    and should be less that €4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thanks!
    Gonna try Tesco today...

Btw - its lovely with cottage cheese.
    And easy to prepare too. 5 mins in microwave with some water...
    Perfect if you're stuck for time...

I got lentils by mistake a few days ago...
    Anyone know what they're like?

• Advertisement

yum! one way to cook lentils: saute onion, a clove of garlic, a stick of celery add two chopped the carrots and then add the lentils. (brown lentils are tastiest in my opinion :D) add a tin of chopped tomatoes and enough hot water to cover the mix. cook on a low heat for about 40 minutes (until the lentils are soft) and keep covered with water. nyom nyom nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Try the Dublin Food Co-op, near St. Pats Cathedral. I think you'll need to become a member to qualify for any discounts (half priced for the unwaged plus a €1 share). It's usually organic but can be Fair Trade too.

If you **really** love Quinoa, you can bulk buy - ask for a "Special Order" - bags up to 25kg - grains, flakes and even pops and flour. The more you spend, the bigger the discount but I can't remember what it is - phone for a quote;
    http://www.dublinfood.coop/html/bulk_special_orders.html

They also have red quinoa and mixed quinoa (black, white and red).

BY the way, you can actually grow it here - there are special varieties for this part of the world (it likes cooler climates anyhow, typically grown at 4000m) and you can eat the leaves. Yields are 1-6ozes per plant, depending on how rich the soil is. What's more, when you wash the grains, the soak/wash water is full of soapiness (saponins - the bitter tasting coating on the seeds that stops the birds eating them) which can be used to wash your clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kingredness

You can get it in the fresh market on marys abbey or in marino. I think it costs around €3 for 500g organic.

yum! one way to cook lentils: saute onion, a clove of garlic, a stick of celery add two chopped the carrots and then add the lentils. (brown lentils are tastiest in my opinion :D) add a tin of chopped tomatoes and enough hot water to cover the mix. cook on a low heat for about 40 minutes (until the lentils are soft) and keep covered with water. nyom nyom nyom

I'd throw a large glass of red wine into the mix, cook as per your instructions, place in a casserole dish, cover in mash potato, bake for 25 minutes, and you've got yourself a nice veggie shepherd's pie :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

got a kg of it in holland and barrets for 4e :D
    deal over now though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Pretty sure I've seen quinoa in the Tesco in Maynooth too.

Never tried it though, although from this thread it seems like it's not too difficult to use :)

€2.29 for 300g in Tesco ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vermilliah

Hi guys, does anybody know where can I buy it in bulk cheapest these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

On old thread but a good one - cheapest i can find is 4EUR for 350g in Dunnes. Seems like a lot..

Am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

• Advertisement
Advertisement