Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL TV Rights

Options
  • 20-04-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

NHL just signed a new deal with NBC, will ESPN America lose the NHL next season now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Alot of the games that are shown are not NBC or even American stations. For instance, the Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts (live on weekends) are obviously from Canada.
    Also, many of the live games that are shown on Sunday (around 6pm our time) are currently NBC broadcasts. Many of the games shown here are from local Fox Sports affiliates, as well as Versus. Overall, NBC doesn't show that many games in the States, so I'd be pretty surprised if it affected ESPN America broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

This only affects the viewers within the US.
    ESPN America still has their contract with the NHL.
    If you watch the different games on ESPN then you will notice that they have different providers from time to time. This these are generally the VERSUS and NBC networks but I have seen a couple CSN broadcasts and also some from Canada...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Yeah I saw there contract expired two years ago and cant seem to find out how long ESPN America have the rights for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Anybody have any updates on whether ESPN America will continue to show NHL from next season onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I would like too see back on sky sports like it use too be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

cena wrote: »
    I would like too see back on sky sports like it use too be.

I like it the way it is. I absolutely adore ESPN America. Even the ad breaks are entertaining!

Big time, ESPN is much better! A proper American feel to a proper American sport! SKy Sports will ruin it!

Big time, ESPN is much better! A proper American feel to a proper American sport! SKy Sports will ruin it!
    NHL doesn't appear on espn Americas sports shows, looks like they have lost rights

NHL doesn't appear on espn Americas sports shows, looks like they have lost rights
    Confirmed! Espn America lost NHL rights http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=34989687

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It seems to me that it looks like ESPN will now have to talk to them about the TV rights instead of the NHL. I highly doubt they'd want to let Sky or Five get a hold of it and likely show much less coverage as a result.

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    It seems to me that it looks like ESPN will now have to talk to them about the TV rights instead of the NHL. I highly doubt they'd want to let Sky or Five get a hold of it and likely show much less coverage as a result.

This is not good news. But I always liked the 2 lads on channel 5 when they had the hockey. But if sky get they well probably only show highlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

cena wrote: »
    This is not good news. But I always liked the 2 lads on channel 5 when they had the hockey. But if sky get they well probably only show highlights

It's hard to tell if it's bad news or not tbh. The link says that up to 480 games will be offered across Europe so it might mean more of a potential to see games that ESPN America might not have shown.

I'm making an assumption here but I doubt that outside of ESPN there's not much of an interest in the NHL rights. So I wouldn't worry just yet. :)

If anyone doesn't know espn is now part of the sky sports package

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

More specifically, Sky Sports 1&2 package now includes ESPN and ESPN America.

Advertisement