Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding my setup after many years - some questions on Scopes and Eyepieces

Options
  • 25-01-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Been working on a long term project for about 6 months - started during lockdown by rolling out what i have left of my old setup
    • LXD75 Meade Mount with that 6" Newtonian - Mounts in good shape, scope less so
    • Some basic Eyepieces (Budget Plossls and 2 X-Cel Celestrons, the original X-CEL not the LX variant)

I used to have a better set up (Celestron Nexstar C6 SCT GOTO AZ Mount, full set of X-Cels, Meade 4000 Series S-Plossls), so iv been using what i have, and keeping my powder dry for some new equipment

Scopes; Im going to upgrade to a better scope. Iv been looking at the Skywatcher Maksutovs, which are available up to 7". But for that money, im almost back in C8 price range so. Also debating a Bresser 152mm Refractor available from Astroshop - anyone have any thoughts? Payload Limit of the mount is 13KG, although on cloudy nights there is testimony that the 75 cam go slightly beyond this - many using 10" Newtonians so. I have all but ruled out a newtonian personally so im between Maks, SCTS, and that 6" refractor i mentioned, which is competitively priced

Eyepieces; Like i said i used to have almost complete sets of Meade 4000s, and X-Cels for planetary viewing. Iv been looking at the Vixen NPL Plossl range, which have a fantastic write up on a few sites. Anyone have any experience? I could always tell the difference between the Meades and a budget Plossls - but the prices of Meades 4Ks seem to have sky rocketed in the last few years, and the vixens are available competatively priced too. Are there any other decent well priced plossls or Super Plossls that anyone recommends?

Planetary/Long Eye Relief: Again im so out of touch. I went to price my X-Cels and found they have been replaced with a newer version, which is fairly steeply priced considering what i payed previously? Iv been looking at TMB Planetary Eyepieces which also have a decent reputation. Also there are several Angeleyes SWA eyepieces floating around ebay which are good value, with some comparatively decent experiences/write-ups showing up too?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Multicoated-1-25-Eyepiece-8mm-70-SWA-High-Achromatic-for-Astro-Telescope/324447037917?hash=item4b8a8ce9dd:g:NcYAAOSwM-Zf-V6U

Several threads on various forums, for example, state that the above is an Unbranded eyepiece available from TS at twice the price

Anyway il leave it at that. I am fairly excited to be back in the game now, after so long. Using the 6" Newtonian, even in the relatively poor condition it is in, is fantastic. But has given me a hunger for more, along with a possible case of lockdown related Aperture Fever!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement