Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko Sumo losing time

Options
  • 18-02-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone's experience is of Seiko's and their timekeeping or loss more specifically.
    I bought the new Sumo SPB103J1 in 2019 from the UK and while i love it, the timekeeping is killing me. It loses over a minute every day and its really annoying to have to keeping setting the time every 2 or 3 days.

I spoke to Seiko and they said they can't look at it during lockdown but that they thought it was within tolerances but i pointed out the website says +25 to -15)

I know it's not a Grand Seiko, but it's not an entry level either and would have expected better from it. Has anyone else been disappointed by a Seiko's reliability?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Over the years I've noticed Seiko below a certain pricepoint can be extremely variable with timekeeping. Or rather regulation in the factory. A jeweller many moons ago said similar to me. That you could have a brand new batch of say Sumos and if you picked one it could be within seconds of true per day, while another could be out by a minute. However they were usually consistently out. One might be 6 secinds a day fast, another 40 seconds slow a day. If your watch is losing say 60 seconds per day consistently, that's actually more accurate than a watch that gains 10 one day, loses 20 the next.

Short version :o it likely just needs regulating to bring it back to true, or that's what I've found and done with mate's Seikos.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

I had a brand new Orange Samurai 2 years ago that about a month into wearing decided that it didn't want to be an automatic anymore. Had to hand wind it for it to work. Easily sorted as I sent it straight back to Amazon and got a new one by return post.

Have a good few Seikos, that was the only issue I've ever had though. Have you been dealing with the place you bought it from or directly with Seiko?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Cassius99 wrote: »
    I had a brand new Orange Samurai 2 years ago that about a month into wearing decided that it didn't want to be an automatic anymore. Had to hand wind it for it to work. Easily sorted as I sent it straight back to Amazon and got a new one by return post.

Have a good few Seikos, that was the only issue I've ever had though. Have you been dealing with the place you bought it from or directly with Seiko?

Dealing with Seiko, i bought it from Jura but with them being in the UK if they replaced it then I could get hit with tax and the watch was nearly £700 when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Dealing with Seiko, i bought it from Jura but with them being in the UK if they replaced it then I could get hit with tax and the watch was nearly £700 when I got it.

Tricky situation so...I suppose on the positive it's not 'broken' and it's still keeping time; theres no random loose bits rattling around inside the case. If Seiko say they'll have a look under warranty after restrictions ease that may be the way to go...or of that timeline is too uncertain maybe a local watchmaker to have a look at the regulation as Wibbs said?? I know its not ideal, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have read that the Seiko Sumo does not come regulated from the factory unfortunately, so time keeping isn't the best out of the box. If it is still under warranty I would bring it to the Seiko Boutique as soon as level 5 is over; and if not a good jeweler should be able to get it to within +/- 10 secs p/day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I have read that the Seiko Sumo does not come regulated from the factory unfortunately, so time keeping isn't the best out of the box. If it is still under warranty I would bring it to the Seiko Boutique as soon as level 5 is over; and if not a good jeweler should be able to get it to within +/- 10 secs p/day.
    It's the cheapest way into a 6r35 so maybe that's why they don't regulate it but seems crazy. I'll tolerate that sort of inaccuracy in a handwinder but in an auto screww down crown it's a real inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Just wondering what everyone's experience is of Seiko's and their timekeeping or loss more specifically.
    I bought the new Sumo SPB103J1 in 2019 from the UK and while i love it, the timekeeping is killing me. It loses over a minute every day and its really annoying to have to keeping setting the time every 2 or 3 days.

I spoke to Seiko and they said they can't look at it during lockdown but that they thought it was within tolerances but i pointed out the website says +25 to -15)

I know it's not a Grand Seiko, but it's not an entry level either and would have expected better from it. Has anyone else been disappointed by a Seiko's reliability?

Where abouts are you?
    Do you want to give it a try to regulate before you send it off somewhere?
    I have a good timegrapher, it's easy enough to get it fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A replacement wouldn't have the same value as the purchase - it would be sent "free of charge" and any taxes which would be due would have been paid when the original was bought.

It does require Jura to correctly make the correct customs declaration as this is a replacement item is not being charged to you (yet potentially still has an insurance value for postage reasons).

I'd get in touch with Jura to make sure they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Of three automatic seikos:

Two are running within 5-10 seconds per day, grand, set it half a minute fast and its good for a week.

The third is running about 30 seconds per day slow which is really annoying as it's supposedly the best movement of them (6r15). I left it in a local Jewellers to send back to Seiko in ballymount but I'm not sure they even opened it up. I'd send it off to get regulated if it didn't cost too much considering its "only a seiko"!

Advertisement