Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re bead cavity wall insulation and trouble-some redbrick

Options
  • 11-12-2019 7:22pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Would really appreciate someone's expertise relating to -snip- Bonded Bead cavity wall insulation going into my 2 story house that has a partial front wall that is all red-brick on the ground floor.

Basically, the insulation job was done recently with a good, thorough company, and we are happy with the job and the results, however the company did not recommend drilling and pumping the entire front wall of my house due to the redbrick present on the ground floor (similar house pictured).

Apparently they could not guarantee the sealing of the drilled holes after the job due to the redbrick, and this could result in water seepage or leaking in future.
    Apparently also it was not possible to drill above the redbrick into the 1st floor and allow the bead to drop down to fill the ground floor either?

To be completely fair, their quote reflected this, and as a result we have 3/4 walls successfully pumped but leaving our North-facing (most chilly!) wall unfilled and are also ineligible for the grant due to only a partial job completed.

I'm just querying whether this was the correct approach to take originally?

The company offered to return and pump this front wall free of charge but only on the condition that I organise waterproofing of the redbrick walls myself in advance and on the understanding that I would be proceeding on risk of potential issues in future if water does get into the wall cavities.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area? Would you recommend waterproofing of any kind?

Of course, I realise that there are other insulation options available (eg. internal cladding etc.) but I just want to see if I can explore the pumping option fully first.

Thanks a million, very much appreciated!
    Aonghus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

at 21.8 kb the picture is a bit miserable
    So none of the brick was done?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

Correct Calahonda52, brick wall was left alone...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What orientation does the front face ?

When was the house built?

What size did they suggest the brick/cavity/block was?

If we could just talk in General terms (as per forum charter, we don’t discuss specific companies in this forum), most if not all install certs for cavity fill insulation expressly state exclusions or caveats for brick formed cavity’s. Brick unlike rendered block is seen as as somewhat porous, hence the reason cavities we’re invented. In exposed areas rendered block has the same status.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

Thanks BryanF, appreciate your insights here.
    To answer your questions; the front faces North,
    house built ~2003 and I / they were not informed of sizes of brick/cavity/block!

I take your point about the red brick being porous...

GRMA, Aongo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

aongo wrote: »

Apparently they could not guarantee the sealing of the drilled holes after the job due to the redbrick, and this could result in water seepage or leaking in future.
    Apparently also it was not possible to drill above the redbrick into the 1st floor and allow the bead to drop down to fill the ground floor either?

Was there a reason this couldnt have been pumped from inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

miller_63 wrote: »

Was there a reason this couldnt have been pumped from inside?
    That was a bs answer.
    If you look at any of the IAB certs for this, there is a map showing where pumping works best sos to speak.
    The installers just go with a standard no can do and rather the explain the issues, give a bs answer

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

That was a bs answer.
    If you look at any of the IAB certs for this, there is a map showing where pumping works best sos to speak.
    The installers just go with a standard no can do and rather the explain the issues, give a bs answer

Agree, I had that in my head reading the excuse that was exactly what they were saying.

Advertisement