Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound reduction expert Cork

• 08-12-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭

I live in Cork in a new build timber frame house. It's in an estate and just over 300m from a motorway. The upstairs bedrooms that are facing the road suffer from road noise quite a bit.

Clearly it's triple glazed windows but I am looking at options to reduce the sound as much as possible.

- Vents are firstly quite poor. They are just a pipe with a grate either end so they leak noise. I have put pipe insulation into them that seems to help they a lot as they were just echoing the sound before.

- Now it seems like the sound is hitting the window but I feel the it may actually be the wall is not solid enough to deflect the sound so another layer of sound proofing plasterboard could be put on them and the exterior wall and ceiling.

- But of course I don't want to do this if it makes little difference but I do feel like it could simply be the exterior wall is the issue.

So thats why I am looking for an expert.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

rom wrote: »
    I live in Cork in a new build timber frame house. It's in an estate and just over 300m from a motorway. The upstairs bedrooms that are facing the road suffer from road noise quite a bit.

Clearly it's triple glazed windows but I am looking at options to reduce the sound as much as possible.

- Vents are firstly quite poor. They are just a pipe with a grate either end so they leak noise. I have put pipe insulation into them that seems to help they a lot as they were just echoing the sound before.

- Now it seems like the sound is hitting the window but I feel the it may actually be the wall is not solid enough to deflect the sound so another layer of sound proofing plasterboard could be put on them and the exterior wall and ceiling.

- But of course I don't want to do this if it makes little difference but I do feel like it could simply be the exterior wall is the issue.

So thats why I am looking for an expert.

You can get sound deadening curtains. It may not alleviate the problem but it would ultimately be the cheapest step in a sound deadening exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This is an exercise that an "expert"might take a lot of your mula, with little results.
    Noise reduction is a tough ask, because once you hear it and let it impact on you, it becomes tough to get it out of your head.
    Research has shown that people beside railway lines have interrupted sleep when the trains don't run on the regular schedule.
    Anyway,
    what's the outside wall structure?
    TG will help but may not solve it
    Have you blocked the wall vents with the insulation?
    If the whole estate is impacted get onto your local TD to have a roadside barrier fitted

Sound will get in wherever there is an air gap even through the roof.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Your first step should be to have an air pressure test done on the house to find your air leakages and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It sounds like you have a hole in the wall ventilation strategy. Not very efficient. I wonder would switching to DCV help with the unwanted noise? You could call a few DCV/MHRV companies and chat to them about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Acoustic airvents, foam internal duct. Take out metal ducts if you have them and replace with these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement