Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireman Sam axed as mascot by Lincolnshire fire service for 'not being inclusive'

Options
  • 11-09-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Adored childhood character Fireman Sam has been scrapped as mascot for a fire and rescue service after complaints were made that he is not inclusive enough.

For years, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service used the character for station open days and advertising material.

But after receiving complaints from staff and members of the public about the mascot perpetuating gender stereotypes in the workplace, the service made the decision to axe Fireman Sam, WalesOnline reports.

Lincolnshire's chief fire officer Les Britzman said: "Firefighters nationally and residents locally have raised some concerns that 'Fireman Sam' doesn't reflect the fire service today, in terms of both the job itself and our workforce.

"It's important to us that our open days and community events don't make anyone feel excluded and therefore we took this decision.

"We always make sure that we include plenty of activities and other ways to engage children and adults, to help them learn more about fire safety and a firefighter's role."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk-world-news/fireman-sam-axed-mascot-lincolnshire-3307138

Its a bit of low key news story I know but whether or not you agree with things like this, I find it odd there people in society who make formal complaints about a mascot? Who honestly cares?

There are times where I can agree with gender inclusiveness sometimes, I'm not sure this one of them though. Odd there are people in society in look for things like this.

There's a female firefighter I believe called Penny on the programme. Why not just add her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't they just give him a partner, also called Sam, to cover that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

His colleague in the postal service is next:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,118 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably one person complained.

Too much pandering. Sad world we live in.

All we need now are the makers of the show to come out and apologise and that'll be the whole thing complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Society isn't as PC crazy as its being made out, its just every organisation will bend at even the suggestion that someone could take offense to something like this, I'd like too see the actual outrage or complaints about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

How can a character be inclusive? He cannot be african/ Indian/ Chinese/ Caucasian all at the same time.

As for the show and I think I’ve seen every episode with kids who are addicted to it, there’s penny in it, she’s a firefighter and a mechanic type. I’ve also seen another female firefighter in it and also various people of color.

Sad to see this, but I think it shows narrow mindedness rather than any breath of intelligence, and says more about the fire service than their axing of the mascot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

To be fair to Fireman Sam, this freakish yoke is not in any way reflective of Fireman Sam. Best to ax this fella before he axes you.

1_PHR_HMB_11092019firemansam.jpg

The show itself seems reasonably inclusive- watched it endlessly with my son. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been attacked for being "PC-gone-mad" by the usual suspects.

Even 80's/90's stop-motion Sam had Trevor, a fireman of south-Asian descent with a Welsh accent, and Penny of course. Now they have a mixed-race family, east-Asian teacher, a non-white female firefighter, a hippie mother... all living happily together in what I'm fairly convinced is a secluded rehabilitation colony for arsonists.

I mean what sort of town has a population of maybe 30 that can gainfully employ 6 firefighters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Unbelievable. I was a big fan of... uh... Lincolnshire fire service before this, but nope. Not any more. Wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, tbh. Not least because using one's own bodily fluids would be a highly ineffective method of extinguishing a fire. No, I'd endeavour to extinguish the blaze - not with my urine, but by rolling them on the ground and attempting to smother the flames. I'd then put them into a comfortable position and wait with them until assistance arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,118 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Snotty wrote: »
    Society isn't as PC crazy as its being made out, its just every organisation will bend at even the suggestion that someone could take offense to something like this, I'd like too see the actual outrage or complaints about this.
    Agree

I hate it when we see lines like 'people on social media have called for.... '

They never tell you how many have 'called'.

Social media has about 2 or 3 billion users in the world. Do we have to react if 50 people complain? Or 20? What is the number that need to be offended for action to be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,267 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Md Note Moved from After Hours to Current Affairs.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree

I hate it when we see lines like 'people on social media have called for.... '

They never tell you how many have 'called'.

Social media has about 2 or 3 billion users in the world. Do we have to react if 50 people complain? Or 20? What is the number that need to be offended for action to be taken?

I'm sure people make complaints about things being not inclusive just so they can get outraged by political correctness.

and then probably get outraged by people being outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Fireman Samantha

-problem solved

next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

gctest50 wrote: »
    Fireman Samantha

-problem solved

next

...who has just "transitioned" from being Fireman Sam. Another box ticked:D

Advertisement