Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Edward Snowden interview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Any thoughts on this yourself OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

Any thoughts on this yourself OP?

I don't think there is anything left to say i think its ridiculous that after all the leaked news about the prism and GCHQ program that these programs still exists why don't they take to the streets and demand that these program be dismantled? I guess people really don't give a **** about privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think there is anything left to say i think its ridiculous that after all the leaked news about the prism and GCHQ program that these programs still exists why don't they take to the streets and demand that these program be dismantled? I guess people really don't give a **** about privacy.

Even congress said that the NSA were overstepping. And then they did nothing.

Angela showed her teeth over it. I can just imagine her asking Obama if she needed to call him directly or just speak into her phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Maybe we need PRISM and GCHQ program to protect society more than we need trifling privacy!?

catallus wrote: »
    Maybe we need PRISM and GCHQ program to protect society more than we need trifling privacy!?

Do you know what the two and three hop rules were/are?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Protect society from what exactly?

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's fine if they want to get a warrant and track people that they believe to be involved in criminal activity but that not what is going on here. Here they are collecting data on everyone unwarranted it's just mass surveillance on everyone.

And it's worth mentioning that GCHQ has issues monitoring yahoo messenger. The issue was the amount of nudity they were seeing.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/nsa/57517/gchq-intercepted-intimate-yahoo-webcam-images
    In a six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency intercepted images from 1.8 million people, many of which contained sexually explicit material. The agency came to recognise the collection of such images as a problem.

One document said: "Unfortunately... it would appear that a surprising number of people use webcam conversations to show intimate parts of their body to the other person."

An estimated three to 11 per cent of the images collected by GCHQ contain "undesirable nudity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bored .com

Gatling wrote: »
    Bored .com

Ya sure why care it's only your privacy after all. Once you have your google and apple goodies you don't care right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No, maybe we don't. I think most people would prefer to give big brother and it's NSA spybots a miss.

Ya sure why care it's only your privacy after all. Once you have your google and apple goodies you don't care right?

Bored of a wannabe James bond who's actually nothing more than a common thief with a hero complex.

And a coward hiding in Russia .

No, maybe we don't. I think most people would prefer to give big brother and it's NSA spybots a miss.

You see, there you go, sensationalising a pretty mundane issue.

State Security and Crime Fighting must move with the times or become redundant.

I, for one, believe that criminals should not be given a head start by some misplaced sense of reticence on the parts of those who would presume to rule.

If you have nothing to fear you have nothing to hide.

I, for one, believe that criminals should not be given a head start by some misplaced sense of reticence on the parts of those who would presume to rule.

Do you have anything to hide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

New? The interview is from July.

That said Snowden has done a great public service in exposing the extent of mass surveillance programs and how they are impinging on citizens privacy.

The Swiss were considering a possible application for political asylum a few months back, depending on his cooperation to an investigation of US spying activities in the country. A lot of legs left in this story yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Do you have anything to hide?

I'd say the Catholic Church does, but I guess they're somehow exempt. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

utter naïve rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Oh god..

/bangs head off wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

So go on tell us your real name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

As mentioned above, once your on line, your privacy concerns are none existent.

I just laugh at the idiot, i mean he told us what? That emais can be seen, governments can rule company's, you can be investigated to any depth if need be?

I wonder did he come down in the last shower or something?

On a basic level every org tracks your simple movements on line, called cookies, and why would anyone assume total privacy in today's world never mind on line.

Security comes at a price,

If everyone's bag was searched and pockets emptied before flying, people would complain about privacy, yet 9/11 might not have happened.

But for some lost kid trying to lift the lid workings of cia which are interested in criminals not u or me is just crazy.

Me he get what he deserves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The thing is though that they say its all about terrorists and criminals when really its not. Its much more than that, its not just crime prevention its about gaining a knowledge advantage that is being put to use aggressively. Its about actively giving US entities advantages over others. Its against their own laws. They are lying to us and they have the cheek to tell us its for our own good.

And btw, they don't stop at investigating they actually meddle and create false evidence. For example they may collect some compromising image of you not because something is dodgy about you but it may be valuable to them in the future. Say in 5 years time they may find you useful for something and bang they have that compromising information about you that they will use to put the thumbscrews on you. It snot just surveillance they are creating technology that can plant stuff on your computer. If they were only investigating why would they do that?

See people are so naive, they are presuming that governments tell the truth and that governments do things for the greater good. But thats not even true today and it may be even less true in the future. After the Iraq war how much more evidence does one need for people being manipulated and being lied to? But most importantly all this stuff is against the law and it undermines all those western values we are allegedly so proud of and that we're trying to spread all over the world and fight all those wars for. Its utter hypocrisy.

I could go on and on but basically these people are not the goodies to use simple language. They are not doing it for your protection and while they're doing it they're breaking the law. And then they turn around and say ye but sure I'm breaking the law for your own good. How naive can one be to accept and go with that? Governments are supposed to represent the people not control and manipulate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You poor naive, misguided innocent. Any idea what FOURSCORE, FLYING PIG, or LONGHAUL do? Because it has nothing to do with protecting us.

P_Cash wrote: »

I just laugh at the idiot, i mean he told us what? That emais can be seen, governments can rule company's, you can be investigated to any depth if need be?

On a basic level every org tracks your simple movements on line, called cookies, and why would anyone assume total privacy in today's world never mind on line.

If everyone's bag was searched and pockets emptied before flying, people would complain about privacy, yet 9/11 might not have happened.

But for some lost kid trying to lift the lid workings of cia which are interested in criminals not u or me is just crazy.

If you believe that why did you sign up with a pseudonym,Why not use your real name?

As for mass surveillance being attributed to stopping terrorism what about the 2012 Aurora shooting and Boston bombings how did mass surveillance prevent these terrorist attacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I think I started out trusting authority and I include the police in that. Along the way you learn that because someone puts on a uniform it doesn't mean they become more trustworthy. I don't think people don't give a **** about privacy but people are worried about terrorism and crime and they realise things have to be watched. But they don't know how the balance is to be struck. What will be really interesting is when the generations who have grown up with webcams etc etc get to power because they mightn't actually give a damn if they did naughty things on cam or online because there's something on everybody. And everybody will say...so what.

THats fair enough we know we are being tracked online by people trying to sell us stuff and this is openly done there are laws in place outlining the responsibilities of the companies doing this. the tracking is done openly you can see the cookie in your browser history and we accept it.

That your movements can be seen online. We did not know that they have a file on all of us unencripted open to everyone outlining every thing we do online every message and then they make a determination as to whether or not we are a threat. of if any of your info is useful to their strategic partners. be that other countries or US companies.

It is naive of you to think that the NSA (not the CIA) and large US multinationals are just interested in stopping crime and they are completely trustworthy that they would not use the power of this information to their advantage they have already used it when in negotiations with the EU.

Good for them, your telling me europe doesn't try the same game,

I've always assumed that once you have an ip address the high tech people in the world will trace you.

Observation on another level.

Only those with something to hide should fear this. i know they have nothing on me to get them excited.

Each to their own. Sher thers people stock piling for the end of the world.

Everyone comes with different opinions.

If most people in the states cared as much they would be uproar and rallys of support to get him home.

From what i can see 98% of americans don't care, and neither do i

Good for them, your telling me europe doesn't try the same game,

I've always assumed that once you have an ip address the high tech people in the world will trace you.

Observation on another level.

Only those with something to hide should fear this. i know they have nothing on me to get them excited.

Each to their own. Sher thers people stock piling for the end of the world.

Everyone comes with different opinions.

If most people in the states cared as much they would be uproar and rallys of support to get him home.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Also IPs are dynamic and don't always pertain to one person.
    If you have absolutely nothing to hide please post all you login details here (for all your internet accounts) i also want to see a snapshot of your financial history if you have nothing to hide then you won't mind me having a look

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Also IPs are dynamic and don't always pertain to one person.
    If you have absolutely nothing to hide please post all you login details here (for all your internet accounts) i also want to see a snapshot of your financial history if you have nothing to hide then you won't mind me having a look

This is my last post on the topic as people have little to offer opinion wise.

Why i don't give my real name? Why most of us don't? Why dont i post my login details?

In case your serious and don't know why.

None of us care if someone in an office somewhere in the world sees our name and trace our posts, but we do if its a neighbour/work collegue/ friend / boss

None of us care if someone in an office somewhere in the world sees our name and trace our posts, but we do if its a neighbour/work collegue/ friend / boss

Well if thats the case then you do infact believe in privacy. Thank you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Why i don't give my real name? Why most of us don't? Why dont i post my login details?

What if someone in that office somewhere in the world decides to share your info with your neighbour/work collegue/ friend / boss as well as the police force/ security services/banks/credit agencies ? Would it bother you then ?

Would it bother you if your son/daughter/friend attended a global warming lecture and sudden started appearing on a watch list somewhere ?

If you are that thoughtless of course it doesn't you, until it does, but by then it is too late .

listen that is fair enough and you are right that all us little people have very little to fear directly.

But get this: say there was a hearing coming up to decide if this surveillance was constitutional in the US and the judge who was deciding on this very important matter was having an affair with someone who was not his wife

do you think that if the NSA knew about this affair they could just keep it to themselves or would they threaten the judge with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no .

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Bored of a wannabe James bond who's actually nothing more than a common thief with a hero complex.

And a coward hiding in Russia .
    he's neither of those, he's a hero. if the US government was n't acting corrupt or like terrorists, then there would be nothing to leak

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

bull****. just because i've nothing to hide does not mean i wish to allow governments to do what they like

yes. hopefully full citizenship of russia or another country. the CIA are interested in who they decide they are interested in, criminal or not

• Advertisement

he's neither of those, he's a hero. if the US government was n't acting corrupt or like terrorists, then there would be nothing to leak

Utter garbage

Why is he hiding in Russia

Thief and a coward

bull****. just because i've nothing to hide does not mean i wish to allow governments to do what they like

You don't allow governments do anything, underling!

You are permitted to reside under their protection on sufferance. Don't forget that.

Only those with something to hide should fear this.

bollox. only the gullible would come out with such tripe
    i know they have nothing on me to get them excited.

me neither. doesn't matter though, they are wrong.

i doubt he gives a **** that you don't care. he has got sanctuary in russia now

Utter garbage

Why is he hiding in Russia

Thief and a coward
    because the americans will put him up on false charges with made up evidence. he's a hero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thief and a coward

"Cushy job contracting for the NSA for a **** ton of money. Now shall I live the high life or go on the run for the rest of my life for fear of lifelong imprisonment and/or execution??"

Oh yeah, he chose the cowardly option alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's called democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You are permitted to reside under their protection on sufferance. Don't forget that.

I imagine you're being sarcastic now, right?

In case you're not. Governments are the executive arm of our elected representatives. They are to represent the peoples political will. When they turn against us or do what they like no matter what the law is when the tail wags the dog. At least that's whats written into most western constitutions. Which are things we are allegedly all so proud of in the western world and what distinguishes us from all those evil empires. Allegedly.
    Before posting such rubbish you should ensure you understand at least the bare minimum of what you're talking about.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Ok, give us all your email and social media passwords just so we can have a look. After all, you've nothing to hide, right?

Yeah, didn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It's okay because they are protecting our freedom or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

seems like a NWO stooge to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

New September 2019 interview with Edward Snowden ...

The man whose state surveillance revelations rocked the world speaks exclusively to the Guardian about his new life and concerns for the future

The world’s most famous whistleblower, Edward Snowden, says he has detected a softening in public hostility towards him in the US over his disclosure of top-secret documents that revealed the extent of the global surveillance programmes run by American and British spy agencies.

In an exclusive two-hour interview in Moscow to mark the publication of his memoirs, Permanent Record, Snowden said dire warnings that his disclosures would cause harm had not come to pass, and even former critics now conceded “we live in a better, freer and safer world” because of his revelations.

In the book, Snowden describes in detail for the first time his background, and what led him to leak details of the secret programmes being run by the US National Security Agency (NSA) and the UK’s secret communication headquarters, GCHQ.

more H E R E

490535.jpg

Advertisement