Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really anxious teaching interview

Options
  • 14-12-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I have a primary teaching interview coming up and I did really bad in the last one. I get really nervous and anxious for interviews. I panic even thinking about it. I hate the whole sensation of me sitting there answering questions. It really is my worst nightmare. Give me spiders/jumping out of a plane anyway. Even in college when I had to do presentations I did really bad and almost froze on the spot. I'm no good at talking anyway. I'm not one of them ones that can ramble on about stuff. I'm just not. Or else when I do it's almost like an out of body experience where I'm talking but my brain isn't keeping up with what I'm saying. Just rambling crap. Especially when I am asked a question I don't know the answer to I just panic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sounds like you need to engage someone for interview preparation to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't usually recommend meds to people but if you're really suffering with this, have you ever heard of beta blockers?

Might be worth mentioning to your gp.

Take one 30 minutes to an hour before an interview and it'll prevent you from suffering from the physical symptoms of nerves. You'd be able to get up and give a speech without a shaky voice, trembling etc.

They're not habit forming and can be used for one off things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

If you're in Dublin, the jobs market is really on your side, particularly if you're going for maternity leave cover from January. Principals are really struggling to find staff and they will want to give you a chance.
    Professional interview preparation is an excellent idea but if funds don't allow, think ahead and have the bare bones of what you'd like to say for expected questions. It's likely they'll ask about your teaching experience to date, your ability to deal with behavioral issues and irate parents, planning and assessment, and the Primary Language Curriculum. There is also usually a question as Gaeilge. Stupid as it may seem, sit in front of a mirror and practice talking about those topics.
    Best piece of advice I ever got about interviews: know when to shut up!! Listen to the question asked, consider it for a moment if you need to (don't be afraid to say "Hmm, I never thought about that before..." then think for a moment), answer the question asked, then stop talking!! It is their job to keep the flow going, so don't be afraid of the silence at the end of the question. They will fill the silence with another question or a comment. I always found it helpful to take a sip of water after finishing up my first couple of answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Redser87 wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, the jobs market is really on your side, particularly if you're going for maternity leave cover from January. Principals are really struggling to find staff and they will want to give you a chance.
    Professional interview preparation is an excellent idea but if funds don't allow, think ahead and have the bare bones of what you'd like to say for expected questions. It's likely they'll ask about your teaching experience to date, your ability to deal with behavioral issues and irate parents, planning and assessment, and the Primary Language Curriculum. There is also usually a question as Gaeilge. Stupid as it may seem, sit in front of a mirror and practice talking about those topics.
    Best piece of advice I ever got about interviews: know when to shut up!! Listen to the question asked, consider it for a moment if you need to (don't be afraid to say "Hmm, I never thought about that before..." then think for a moment), answer the question asked, then stop talking!! It is their job to keep the flow going, so don't be afraid of the silence at the end of the question. They will fill the silence with another question or a comment. I always found it helpful to take a sip of water after finishing up my first couple of answers.

Is it just Dublin that principals are struggling to find staff for maternity leaves or is it Kildare/Meath as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't usually recommend meds to people but if you're really suffering with this, have you ever heard of beta blockers?

Might be worth mentioning to your gp.

Take one 30 minutes to an hour before an interview and it'll prevent you from suffering from the physical symptoms of nerves. You'd be able to get up and give a speech without a shaky voice, trembling etc.

They're not habit forming and can be used for one off things like this.

An alternative would be a few bananas. All beta blockers do is prevent paotassium absorption. Bananas are pretty much made of potassium.

• Advertisement

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Is it just Dublin that principals are struggling to find staff for maternity leaves or is it Kildare/Meath as well?
    I'm not sure to be honest - the closer you get to Dublin (i.e. areas of high rent) I would guess it's similar, but I really don't know. The competition may not be as fierce as in more rural areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I have a primary teaching interview coming up and I did really bad in the last one. I get really nervous and anxious for interviews. I panic even thinking about it. I hate the whole sensation of me sitting there answering questions. It really is my worst nightmare. Give me spiders/jumping out of a plane anyway. Even in college when I had to do presentations I did really bad and almost froze on the spot. I'm no good at talking anyway. I'm not one of them ones that can ramble on about stuff. I'm just not. .

It's odd that what "you hate" is what you expect your students to do.

Are you sure you are suited to teaching?

One aspect of teaching is "standing up and talking about things".

In fairness, presenting academic work to peers or oneself to potential employers is very different to explaining concepts to young children. I don't like public speaking either, but I am in my element in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NinaGood

Anxiety before an interview is a normal thing, just my opinion. Responsible and adequate people are always lil bit anxious and nervous while applying to new jobs.

Advertisement