Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Shane Shane Show - Friday the 13th.(!) 2019

• 12-12-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,276 ✭✭✭✭

tumblr_n2alfxu8551qcj3tho1_r1_500.gif

TURN ON THE XMAS LIGHTS, KITTEH!

tenor.gif?itemid=10551682

Perfect. :)

And here's Mr. Christmas!

huge_avatar

The main event of the evening will see the good and the great of the Irish entertainment and music industry pay tribute to the legendary singer and songwriter Shane MacGowan.

Tipperary’s most famous son is in the studio, performing a number of his best-known songs, including a very special rendition of the greatest of all modern-day Christmas songs, Fairytale of New York. Over the course of a lively evening full of songs, chat and laughter, Glen Hansard and Lisa O’Neill pay tribute to Shane, joining his band for a stunning rendition of 'A Rainy Night in Soho'.

Guests including sligojoek, Aidan Gillen, Patrick Bergin, Moya Brennan, Philomena Begley and Pat McCabe will join Ryan, Shane, and his wife Victoria Mary Clarke, discussing the writing of some of his best-known songs and the impact he and The Pogues have had on the Irish music industry. Shane’s sister Siobhán MacGowan, journalist and musician, will also be chatting with Ryan. US politician Martin O’Malley has flown in for the evening, giving a hat-tip to Shane and the impact his music had on him as an Irish-American.

Also on the show, comedian and actor Pat Shortt is in studio, making his way through the audience as his latest character.

With Christmas around the corner, Ryan will be speaking to a number of volunteers who have been working tirelessly with Ireland’s homeless over the past year.

'Comedian' Jason Byrne :mad: :mad: :mad: will also be joining us, giving his take on recent news stories and chatting about his series of children’s books.

The Late Late Shane Shane Show, tomorrow night at 9.35pm!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The LLS banging the homeless drum again? Tubs has really taken it on as a pet project, hasn't he?

Jason Byrne will be acting manic and laughing at his own jokes again, while Ryan does his best fake hysterical laughing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair to Jason Byrne, if he gets the inverted commas "comedian" treatment, so too should Pat Short. He's about as funny as a dose of piles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Was reading half ok till I got to this: :(

Also on the show, comedian and actor Pat Shortt is in studio, making his way through the audience as his latest character.

....and this :(:(:(
    'Comedian' Jason Byrne will also be joining us, giving his take on recent news stories and chatting about his series of children’s books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It must be about 6 weeks since Jason Byrne was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Was this recorded last week does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lovin' that OP WM !!

Looking forward to the Shane (Born on Christmas Day) Show, not so much the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the last time Macgowan was on, he was in a wheelchair, fairly slow to get his thoughts together, hard enough to understand. I wonder will he be singing live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Shane used to have a regular pre Christmas gig in Dublin with his various bands and I never missed it. He started to decline a good few years ago so I stopped going, preferred to remember him at his peak. Glad I missed the gig where he was in a wheelchair and threw up on stage,
    http://www.showbiz.ie/news/september02/12-macgowan06.shtml
    I'l watch tonight but can't say I'm looking forward to it, sad to see a genius decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I am watching tonight to see if they censor The Fairytale Of New York. I don't think RTE will be brave enough to use the original lyrics, but then I think that Shane will not want to change the lyrics either. Can I suggest a contemporary alternatives to appease the more politically correct among us using some Tubridy-esque phraseology.
    "You scumbag 've been acting the maggot, you cheap lousy f@gg0t braggart".

Was this recorded last week does anyone know?

Yeah, just read that it's not live, was recorded during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,476 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they censor the lyrics people should burn their TV licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was at the recording. The lyrics are unchanged.

sligojoek wrote: »

What other songs did he sing Joe?

White City and Pair of Brown eyes. Other guests did ohter songs. Two of the pogues were there Jem and Terry. Steve Wickham played fiddle and the Cronin brothers on guitar and drums. I wasn't in the auditorium, we watched on a screen in the green room. There were only a couple of camera angles but I'd say it'll look better on the night when it's edited.

M

Why they couldn't do the whole show with ballads is beyond me.

https://www.buzz.ie/movies-tv/late-late-show-shane-macgowan-fairytale-new-york-346693

Ahead of Christmas, Late Late guests will pay tribute to the legendary musician and Shane MacGowan himself will perform the classic Fairytale of New York live in studios
    A very special airing of The Late Late Show is happening tomorrow on RTE One. The main focus will be on Shane MacGowan, famous for being the front-man of The Pogues.

Shane will perform a special rendition of the classic tune Fairytale of New York, joined by friend sand family alike.

Host Ryan Tubridy said on last week's show: "What we Irish are very good at is making music, and next week it's our privilege to pay tribute to one of the very best, Shane MacGowan, musician, songwriter and front-man of The Pogues.

"Shane and a host of stars will take to the stage to perform Fairytale of New York, as well as many other gems from Shane. In the lead up to Christmas on The Late Late Show, it promises to be a session like no other!"

Over the course of the evening you can expect songs, chat and laughter as guests Glen Hansard and Lisa O'Neill pay tribute to Shane, joining his band for a stunning rendition of A Rainy Night in Soho.
    The line-up also includes Aidan Gillen, Patrick Bergin, Moya Brennan, Philomena Begley and Pat McCabe.
    They will join Ryan, Shane, and his wife Victoria Mary Clarke, discussing the writing of some of his best-known songs and the impact he and The Pogues have had on the Irish music industry.

Shane's sister Siobhán MacGowan, journalist and musician, will also be chatting with Ryan. US politician Martin O'Malley has flown in for the evening, giving a hat-tip to Shane and the impact his music had on him as an Irish-American.
    Comedian and actor Pat Shortt is in the studio, making his way through the audience as his latest character. Jason Byrne will also be sitting in the hot seat, giving his take on recent news stories and chatting about his series of children's books.

The Late Late Show airs Friday, December 13, at 9:35pm on RTE One

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »

Anyone else looking forward to tonight's show much more after reading this? :D

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Anyone else looking forward to tonight's show much more after reading this? :D

Both Shane and His sister, Siobhan, used the bad F-word a few times. I don't know if they'll beep that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

the last time Macgowan was on, he was in a wheelchair, fairly slow to get his thoughts together, hard enough to understand. I wonder will he be singing live

He's brain dead. Having the misfortune to have to work in his home. He growled at us constantly and his better half had to restrain him shouting "leave the plumbers alone".

It's very sad what alcohol abuse can do to a person.

Skid X wrote: »
    Lovin' that OP WM !!

Looking forward to the Shane (Born on Christmas Day) Show, not so much the rest of it.

Cheers Skid. I hadn't seen that before.

Anyone watching just for Shane needn't hurry till after the 2nd ad break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Why is this guy getting a tribute show??

M

nannerby wrote: »

Because he's a legend.

Because he's a legend.

An offensive Christmas song and singing drunk on the late late makes you a legend that's pretty much all he has done.what an utter waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It beats tributes to the wagonwheel crooner and his ilk

Anything would beat that.:pac:

An offensive Christmas song and singing drunk on the late late makes you a legend that's pretty much all he has done.what an utter waste of money.

Look at the mans catalogue of songs and songwriting, an absolute genius.

Look at the mans catalogue of songs and songwriting, an absolute genius.

I have done and genius he is not.

What next a tribute to sinead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

nannerby wrote:

I don't see how it's an offence Christmas song in fairness.

The song paints a picture of a scumbag & his female partner. It uses the term ****** to portrait the characters in the song. This does not suggest that homosexual men deserve this term.

It's like any author in any book using this type of language. The characters using such language doesn't make the book offensive. Are all books to be like "Pat & Jane" or should characters be allowed to homophobic & racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yep.

They should replace the annual country sh*t show with an annual MacGowan tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Jason Byrne again what the f*ck

And Pat Shortt was only on a few weeks ago

M

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Jason Byrne again what the f*ck

And Pat Shortt was only on a few weeks ago

They must have some regular guests on the front entry of the LLS Filofax ready to call at a day's notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It doesn't happen often,but we should give RTE some credit for not censoring Fairytale Of New York and have consistently said that they never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What condition is Shane in at the moment?

Not a criticism by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

You know, i was reading WM opening post and i was thinking thats not bad, tribute to Shane McGowan should be good, and then i got to Pat Shortt and Jason Byrne, hope theres no christmas tree up in the studio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jason Byrne?

What is RTEs obsession with these mediocre comedians.

Not surprised it’s gone bust.

Totally detached from normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,437 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

tenor.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’m already offended.
    National broadcaster allowing the F word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What next a tribute to sinead?

Brendan grace next fri nite.

Hope he shows up.

You know, i was reading WM opening post and i was thinking thats not bad, tribute to Shane McGowan should be good, and then i got to Pat Shortt and Jason Byrne, hope theres no christmas tree up in the studio

They're on at the start. You'll be time enough tuning in about 10.15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I always get the impression Aidan Gillen has heads in the freezer

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Brendan grace next fri nite.

Hope he shows up.

Are we so devoid of talented people in this country that we have to give these people tribute shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I’m already offended.
    National broadcaster allowing the F word.

the bad F-word. Worse then Feck. You know the one I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are we so devoid of talented people in this country that we have to give these people tribute shows.

They all buggered off to the UK and US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think I might just tune in to see how Tubridy squirms and qualifies the use of the word F@ggot.

"Just before, eh, we have this song, I would like to put some context on the writing of this intriguing song and the time which it was written forthwith. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

And who would you give a tribute show to ?

Even if you don't like McGowans songs to deny his songwriting genius means you don't have a lyrical bone in your body. Go back to listening to Ariana Grande.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,276 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening all! :)

Pretty crowded here in the drunk tank. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wasn't there a song that had the word wanker bleeped out getting a bit of airplay a while ago, were any of ye spitting blood about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Whoosh.
    That was the joke flying right by you,and ironically you’re post previous to that was the one where you claimed Shane macgowan wasn’t a genius.

You’ve been found wanting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Late Late Weekend at Bernies special.

• Advertisement
Advertisement