Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Goal! Goal! The magician! Pure class! Timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Vermaelen! From forgotten man to hero, he gets the crucial goal to crush the resolve of Malaga. 1-0, Barcelona maintaining the early lead.

It was tight and far more tense than it should have been but in the end Barcelona end the night with 2 wins out of 2, 100% record as they seek to retain their title. Pretty decent performance given the early demands on the squad and the lack of training Neymar has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Cracking free kick from James

Great strike from James from the freekick gives Madrid a 2-0 lead, but it's exactly the kind of freekick only Real Madrid would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Great strike from James from the freekick gives Madrid a 2-0 lead, but it's exactly the kind of freekick only Real Madrid would get.

Oh give it a rest, it was a foul.

me89 wrote: »
    Oh give it a rest, it was a foul.

Ronaldo stepped over the ball and then sprinted into the back of the defender, in a million years that isn't a foul. Compare that to some of the incidents not deemed fouls at the Camp Nou earlier and spot the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Conspiracy theories forum is that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

4-0. Rodriguez starting to look his price tag. UTD haven't a breeze of getting Bale. Hope to see Kovacic at some stage.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories forum is that way.

You can say that but you better believe I'm not the only believer in this particular conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can say that but you better believe I'm not the only believer in this particular conspiracy.

I think you'll find a lot of the other believers would be Barca fans as well.

Ronaldo stepped over the ball and then sprinted into the back of the defender, in a million years that isn't a foul. Compare that to some of the incidents not deemed fouls at the Camp Nou earlier and spot the difference.

Any thoughts on that soft penalty against Real?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Any thoughts on that soft penalty against Real?

Pfft referee had been given instruction from those up high that unwanted questions were being asked so he engaged cover up mode and refused to give Ronaldo a free and awarded a penalty against Madrid. Only the true believers know this was all part of the conspiracy.

Some attempt from Ramos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice goal from Bale.

lads what the hell? Neither Messi or Ronaldo have scored in a competitive game this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JPA wrote: »
    Nice goal from Bale.

He looks like he's enjoying his football more in the last two games then he did all last season. His ball for Benzema's goal was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Only watched the highlights of the Madrid Betis game but it's probably the first game I've ever watched and thought there was some sort of match fixing going on.
    Some of the attempts at defending by Betis players were awful. Then their striker had a fairly easy chance but took way too many touches and allowed Navas to jump on the ball.
    I know they got a penalty but the penalty was straight at the keeper with no conviction. Probably just over analysing though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Only watched the highlights of the Madrid Betis game but it's probably the first game I've ever watched and thought there was some sort of match fixing going on.
    Some of the attempts at defending by Betis players were awful. Then their striker had a fairly easy chance but took way too many touches and allowed Navas to jump on the ball.
    I know they got a penalty but the penalty was straight at the keeper with no conviction. Probably just over analysing though haha

• Advertisement

The big team news tonight is Fernando Torres starts up front with Griezmann. I said it last week but I'll say it again, keep an eye on Oliver Torres, he starts tonight and he's one of my favorite young footballers.

Great first half at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan. There's been moments of real high quality football but it's the tempo and off the ball work that's remarkable here. Relentless pressure, no time for anyone on the ball as the pace of the game really only changed once Atletico scored. Koke's goal was so scrappy but it's to the credit of the perseverance of Griezmann that the goal came. Once Atletico scored their pressing eased off a bit and they held their shape and looked to counter. Sevilla's tempers frayed a bit after the goal, they need Banega to up his game quite a bit because they are struggling to establish controlled possession high up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Where's Scott Minto

jamesbere wrote: »
    Where's Scott Minto

Scott Minto's gone and he's never coming back, now stop reminding us of him and sit there and watch Kate Abdo spoof her way through 2 hours of live television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Never deserved to be a 3-0 win but quality shown all the same. Impressive to see Simeone able to continue to maintain this.

Result is very harsh on Sevilla. Felt Atletico were clinging on there for a while. Both teams rather impressive it has to be said. Fun game to watch.

• Advertisement

That result is a testament to Simeone. That Atletico haven't faded (especially considering his high energy style) is remarkable, that they've sold the players that they have and have been able to reinvent the squad and make it, arguably, even better is just incredible.

Lesser teams would have crumbled in the second half. Sevilla piled on the pressure, granted most of their attacks came down their right side and ended with high crosses into the box aimed at Llorente (probably Atletico's strength) but even still all of their players deserve huge credit for standing firm and then having the class and quality to score when their chances came.

They are very strong this season, an improvement on last season's side. There's an argument to be made that this is the strongest squad in the Liga, the options they have off the bench are surely the envy of most clubs across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That result is a testament to Simeone. That Atletico haven't faded (especially considering his high energy style) is remarkable, that they've sold the players that they have and have been able to reinvent the squad and make it, arguably, even better is just incredible.

Lesser teams would have crumbled in the second half. Sevilla piled on the pressure, granted most of their attacks came down their right side and ended with high crosses into the box aimed at Llorente (probably Atletico's strength) but even still all of their players deserve huge credit for standing firm and then having the class and quality to score when their chances came.

They are very strong this season, an improvement on last season's side. There's an argument to be made that this is the strongest squad in the Liga, the options they have off the bench are surely the envy of most clubs across Europe.
    I'd still say Real have the most depth. Some scarily good players that will have to sit on the bench there. But yeah, Simeone is incredible and by the looks of it Atleti will continue to prosper until he goes to prosper somewhere else.

Interesting little tidbit in Mundo Deportivo today. They claim senior members of the Barcelona squad aren't optimistic in retaining the Liga this season due to biased officiating.
    You can talk about tinfoil hats and conspiracies but there's a growing belief that the Liga this season could well be decided, not by the brilliance of a team, but by biased officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of course Barca and Mundo Deportivo would say that.

Getting excuses in early I see.

Tell me, what decisions have happened so far this season that suggest Barca are going to be screwed over by refs?

Of course Barca and Mundo Deportivo would say that.

Getting excuses in early I see.

Tell me, what decisions have happened so far this season that suggest Barca are going to be screwed over by refs?

That's such a cop out of a comment. "Getting excuses in early" anyone with even the faintest knowledge of this squad know that they do not deal in excuses, a more mentally strong squad you may never see again.

Are you kidding me? Did you see the home game against Malaga? Two clear as day, stonewall penalties in the first half of the game denied, Malaga growing in confidence from keeping Barcelona out, it took a Thomas Vermaelen goal to break them. If that's going to be the standard of refereeing that Barcelona will have to endure for the rest of the season then we might as well give up the title now because no team can overcome that for 38 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Scott Minto's gone and he's never coming back, now stop reminding us of him and sit there and watch Kate Abdo spoof her way through 2 hours of live television.

As much as I like looking at Kate, her knowledge of La Liga is very,very poor.

Wish they'd kept Scott on board and maybe had the two of them presenting with a guest.

Oh Barca complaining about conspiracies is like Mourinho and his ludicrous tinfoil-hat conspiracies. Creates a siege mentality at the club. Us against the world.

If a Real Madrid fan came in here and said that they had read in Marca that Madrid players believe xyz, you would be dismissing it.

If this squad of players is really as strong as you say, then they've no need to be saying stuff like that. Despite "biased officiating" (didn't see the Malaga game so can't comment but Barca fans, like ALL Spanish fans, regardless of the team complain when any kind of decision goes against them so forgive me if I take your examples with a pinch of salt) they won that game. Surely this would make them believe that they can triumph in the face of adversity? Instead, they are coming out with this massive persecution complex. "Might as well give up the title now"? After two games, yeah, that's a mentally strong squad alright. :rolleyes:

Also this "growing belief", where is that from? I live in Spain and have done for the past few years and this is the first I've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

If there's systematic bias towards teams in Spain, then Barcelona are one of the two teams benefiting from it. I wouldn't be complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As much as I like looking at Kate, her knowledge of La Liga is very,very poor.

Wish they'd kept Scott on board and maybe had the two of them presenting with a guest.

Its not just La Liga of which she lacks knowledge ,its football in general,she honestly hasn't a clue .

They need to bring Mark Bolton back .:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Claiming right at the start of the season that biased officiating could decide the league title is pretty damn daft to be honest. Every decision Barca don't get and that Real get will now be handily shuffled into the 'biased' folder, not at all taking into account any decisions Real don't get and Barca do. It genuinely ruins following threads on La Liga in here and I tend to do so less and less.

Corholio wrote: »
    Claiming right at the start of the season that biased officiating could decide the league title is pretty damn daft to be honest. Every decision Barca don't get and that Real get will now be handily shuffled into the 'biased' folder, not at all taking into account any decisions Real don't get and Barca do. It genuinely ruins following threads on La Liga in here and I tend to do so less and less.

Oh, I'm sorry if I offended you by, you know, actually highlighting an interesting piece of news from a Spanish sports newspaper and posting it here in the Spanish football thread.... what ever have I done.....

And yes do please keep track of unfair decisions, keep particular note of the downright ridiculous ones and please do store them away in this "biased folder" which you can keep and, I suspect, by the end of the season you'll need more than just a folder to contain all of the cases of suspect officiating.

I would refer you to a quote I posted in this thread not more than a few days ago, courtesy of the highly respected Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone, where he did comment on this issue because, as much as some would like to believe it is not, it most certainly is an issue.

Jesus Christ in Spain every referee decision get's more highlights than actually playing moves and tactics. Barca, like all teams will benefit and lose from decisions. This notion that there is a conspiracy against Catalan teams is ridiculous.

Now, as for why Barca won't win the league? Squad depth. Their squad is very bare, it isn't going to be reinforced until January and the majority of their tough away fixtures fall in this half of the season. They could still win it, but you know, that'd be a plausible reason for why they mightn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oh, I'm sorry if I offended you by, you know, actually highlighting an interesting piece of news from a Spanish sports newspaper and posting it here in the Spanish football thread.... what ever have I done.....

And yes do please keep track of unfair decisions, keep particular note of the downright ridiculous ones and please do store them away in this "biased folder" which you can keep and, I suspect, by the end of the season you'll need more than just a folder to contain all of the cases of suspect officiating.

I would refer you to a quote I posted in this thread not more than a few days ago, courtesy of the highly respected Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone, where he did comment on this issue because, as much as some would like to believe it is not, it most certainly is an issue.

Pretty childish in fairness.

You highlighted and then gave your opinion on it, this is what I was addressing. So a quote from the manager of Reals bitter city rivals? Definitely unbiased.

If you think a season and a title would be decided by officiating decisions than honestly fair enough. In my opinion it's absolute nonsense, whatever about newspapers having vague headlines about 'growing beliefs' and insider information on how a whole squad is 'feeling'.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Jesus Christ in Spain every referee decision get's more highlights than actually playing moves and tactics. Barca, like all teams will benefit and lose from decisions. This notion that there is a conspiracy against Catalan teams is ridiculous.

Now, as for why Barca won't win the league? Squad depth. Their squad is very bare, it isn't going to be reinforced until January and the majority of their tough away fixtures fall in this half of the season. They could still win it, but you know, that'd be a plausible reason for why they mightn't.

And if they lost it because of their squad being bare I'd be more accepting of that, though still slightly miffed at Barcelona's transfer ban and the lack of any movement on the transfer ban that had been mentioned in regards Real Madrid a few months back.

You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as the opinion of one of the top coaches of the game making a statement that goes beyond the usual childish "mind games" and actually calling into dispute the fairness of the league. Again though if you want to just label that as "mind games" or "gaining a psychological edge" then by all means go ahead but I think anyone who knows these things can see a comment like that goes beyond club rivalry.

Is highlighting news from Mundo Deportivo (a nationwide publication in Spain) really considered insider? It's accessible to basically anybody with internet.

I do feel though that people don't/aren't able to approach this topic in the context in which it takes place. Spain is different to England, as is football in Spain compared to that in England. The influence of the big 2 clubs is massive and the rivalry, as we all know, is about more than just football. Not understanding the broader context of the culture of the place in which these things happen is why I think so many find this notion completely impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interesting little tidbit in Mundo Deportivo today. They claim senior members of the Barcelona squad aren't optimistic in retaining the Liga this season due to biased officiating.
    You can talk about tinfoil hats and conspiracies but there's a growing belief that the Liga this season could well be decided, not by the brilliance of a team, but by biased officiating.

Its most likely mind games by Barcelona trying to influence the referees ,something like Mourinho would do .
    I'm sure the squad don't actually believe that.
    Its all part of modern football now,trying to influence the referees in the media .

Has the refereeing improved though,there was a time there a few years ago where it was practically impossible to get a penalty against Real Madrid in La Liga .

• Advertisement

Is highlighting news from Mundo Deportivo (a nationwide publication in Spain) really considered insider? It's accessible to basically anybody with internet.
    Mundo Depprtivo is to Barca, what Marca is to Real. It may be a publication that can be bought in any part of Spain (that said it's not as easy to buy outside Catalonia) but it is well known within Spain that a MD reader is a Barca fan.

Again, if Marca were saying this about Real players, you and other Barca fans would be calling it out for how ridiculous it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ok, away from the conspiracy theories. Was delighted to see Raul Garcia join Athletic Bilbao. They have improved the squad a good bit and I'd expect them to challenge for a European spot at least.

Mundo Depprtivo is to Barca, what Marca is to Real. It may be a publication that can be bought in any part of Spain (that said it's not as easy to buy outside Catalonia) but it is well known within Spain that a MD reader is a Barca fan.

Again, if Marca were saying this about Real players, you and other Barca fans would be calling it out for how ridiculous it really is.

True MD is a Catalan paper, though it's influence for Barcelona is divisive.

I'd also say that Real Madrid claiming that would be laughable given the very high proportion of referees that support Barcelona and also given the political climate of the country at present.

Anyway I'll end it here for now because this thread is about more than biased officiating. However you guys on here are lucky to have me because I will certainly be paying attention to the biased officiating folder throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anybody know when October/November fixture time and dates are confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Anybody know when October/November fixture time and dates are confirmed?

There's no rule but about three or four weeks ahead maybe. Not great but a huge improvement on the past. W/e 4 Oct is as far as we know at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

CN2UbJrUwAAi10u.jpg:large

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

If it was any other league I'd be confident Atletico could mount a title challenge. They have 4 world class players - Godin, Koke, Griezmann and Martinez. Backed up by very good players like Oblak, Gabi, Felipe Luiz, Vietto and Carrasco.

The trouble is Real Madrid and Barcelona have at least 10 world class players each :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Will be in Madrid for the Levante game on the 18th October, anyone know if its easy get tickets on the day or would it be best book them now?

Onto the real stuff. Messi on the bench, Neymar takes on the mantle of main man from the start, no Pique, no Alves, no Bravo and a fierce and quite brilliant Atletico Madrid led by the equally fierce and brilliant Diego Simeone await. Easy nights work then I guess....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Onto the real stuff. Messi on the bench, Neymar takes on the mantle of main man from the start, no Pique, no Alves, no Bravo and a fierce and quite brilliant Atletico Madrid led by the equally fierce and brilliant Diego Simeone await. Easy nights work then I guess....

Why no Messi? Missed the buildup

Advertisement