Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How come Man Yoo is allowed considering no United fan ever calls them that. I brought this up last year and seems nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Whos Sally? :confused:

Sally McCoist IIRC.

And Spuds, I dont think anyone has an issue with that TBH, never seen it reported.

Maybe not, but again what's the point of it? It's just as easy to type Spurs, and just adds to the inconsistency.

Off the top of my head I cant think of anyone being reported for saying Brenda though, if they had been, theyed be carded. So if it isnt reported how do we combat it?

This is wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I was never really into using them myself bar the Slippy G one, just thought it was funny, but it's hard to believe people get offended by these names.

I love the way you just throw it out there without making any point whatsoever.
    Its almost like... you wanted to say it... to get a reaction... now, whats that again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well using female names for males is both sexist and offensive. It's beyond childish. I remember once wondering wtf is Maureen???

Some of the forums that allow low level trolling dressed as 'banter' are dreadful places with no one seemingly discussing actual football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sally McCoist IIRC.

Ah I see, makes sense now. :o
    Maybe not, but again what's the point of it? It's just as easy to type Spurs, and just adds to the inconsistency.

It has to be reported though, if people feel like Spuds is an issue it will be addressed but if we cant see people posting Spuds its not going to come to our attention.
    This is wrong.

Hence the "off the top of my head". I searched the Reported Posts section but without checking every reported Soccer post for the last 12-18months its impossible to tell if it has been reported or not or by who and how many times.

FWIW, if I seen something reported for that, no matter who the manager is I'd be carding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

What is the story with posters detailing mods/admins about what others say off site? Say, Y poster reporting back to higher-ups with tweets regarding something on Boards from X poster.

Perhaps, more a Boards-wide thing than football forum specific, but just looking for clarification.

:)

RasTa wrote: »
    How come Man Yoo is allowed considering no United fan ever calls them that. I brought this up last year and seems nothing has changed.

In fairness, it's very rare you see that. Completely cringeworthy, but not exactly harming/insulting anyone.

Although, given 'Chelski' isn't allowed, maybe other silly nicknames should be treated the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I also agree with what people have been saying, the soccer forum has never been more enjoyable. The Modding has been excellent too especially when you compare it to a few years ago.

I know there are a few trolls but you just have to ignore them, even I've reacted to trolls in the heat of the moment and received a card, but I knew it was coming and I've only got myself to blame. And those trolls usually find themselves banned eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What is the story with posters detailing mods/admins about what others say off site? Say, Y poster reporting back to higher-ups with tweets regarding something on Boards from X poster.

Perhaps, more a Boards-wide thing than football forum specific, but just looking for clarification.

:)

If stuff from outside is presented to us, I'd be telling the user send it to the Admins and or Dav, it all goes above Mods and CMods for me anyway. Its not up to me to decide a course of action over something that happened outside of Boards, however, without putting words in Davs mouth, its something he takes seriously.

Without going around in circles, its usually passed up along the chains to the higher ups, so the local mods wouldnt have much input into apart from maybe the inital contact with a user before pointing them in the right direction.
    In fairness, it's very rare you see that. Completely cringeworthy, but not exactly harming/insulting anyone.

Although, given 'Chelski' isn't allowed, maybe other silly nicknames should be treated the same.

Well there is examples in the charter like Liverpoo and Man Ure, theyre not exclusive but if someone said LOL, Man Sh*tty are losing again, I'd card that. Even though its not in the charter, you'd have to use common sense when posting and you'd know that post would wind up people so theres no way you'd get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's more of a consistency thing re cards for Chelski and not for other silly names.

Although not a huge issue but I did find it a bit odd that a cmod told me it was allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness Mods seem to use common sense bit more.

Any card I have got has been deseved, bar one, but they say they even themselves out ;)

The only thing is a little funny is Posters complaining about Trolls and other Posters, but when they do it themselves or with a Poster they agree with(usually from own team) they cry foul, some spend half their posts mocking rival teams in some way.

But overall a improvement on last season

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On a general comment, which I don't think I've made in here, yes I think there has been an improving trend over the last few years, and it has continued again. In the past in these feedback threads I think I've generally called for more common sense and more discretion in the case of mods with less strict adherance to rules just because they are there, and generally that seems to be what's happening, so well played on that. It helps that most of the extreme posters, whatever their allegiance, seem to have been weeded out through the process of having too many cards/bans which really does help the forum. There are probably a few more here and there, but you'll always have that.

Overall 8/10 mark from me over the last year which is very good, so kudos all round. Don't get complacent though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The thing that bothers me that if you go into another superthread and post anything slightly negative you get accused of trolling and get ganged up on pretty quickly. The troll word is branded out too easily. I made a comment about costs during the year. It was harmless but probably deserved a yellow card. I was told a load of people reported it. What world are these people leaving in that their offended by these harmless comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

niallo27 wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me that if you go into another superthread and post anything slightly negative you get accused of trolling and get ganged up on pretty quickly. The troll word is branded out too easily. I made a comment about costs during the year. It was harmless but probably deserved a yellow card. I was told a load of people reported it. What world are these people leaving in that their offended my these harmless comments.
    A world where people can get offended over a humour thread that isnt compulsary to click into. Its mind boggling but seemingly the way things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Youll get carded for calling mourinho ,Maureen but people have posted pictures of a drunken looking woman on a bus and likened it to Van gaal. Much of a muchness no ?

Neither bother me just want to see some consistency.

Generally things are ran OK apart from one mod who thinks he owns one of the super threads.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Youll get carded for calling mourinho ,Maureen but people have posted pictures of a drunken looking woman on a bus and likened it to Van gaal. Much of a muchness no ?

Neither bother me just want to see some consistency.

Generally things are ran OK apart from one mod who thinks he owns one of the super threads.

Maureen is just stupid though it adds nothing. The woman on the bus looks scarily like him. If it was posted in a match thread it probably would get carded I think.

Who is Brenda?

Who is Brenda?

Rodgers I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The thing that bothers me that if you go into another superthread and post anything slightly negative you get accused of trolling and get ganged up on pretty quickly. The troll word is branded out too easily. I made a comment about costs during the year. It was harmless but probably deserved a yellow card. I was told a load of people reported it. What world are these people leaving in that their offended by these harmless comments.

You play the game you've got to expect consequences.

People need to be held accountable and hold themselves accountable for what they type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Maureen is just stupid though it adds nothing. The woman on the bus looks scarily like him. If it was posted in a match thread it probably would get carded I think.

I don't think it would or should. Where do you draw the line? There's a lookalike thread with a Wenger and some auld one out of Coronation Street comparison, Rooney and Shrek or Dirk Kuyt and Sloth from the Goonies.
    If people would just be told to cop the f*ck on if they're reporting that stuff then that would be just grand.

• Advertisement

Rodgers I presume.

I thought that but is that one not a bit harsh? Like if you are using a keyboard touchpad and in a rush you could easily miss that final "n" tbf?

adox wrote: »
    You play the game you've got to expect consequences.

People need to be held accountable and hold themselves accountable for what they type.

That's fair enough which is why I said I probably deserved it I just can't understand the amount of people that reported it.

I don't think it would or should. Where do you draw the line? There's a lookalike thread with a Wenger and some auld one out of Coronation Street comparison, Rooney and Shrek or Dirk Kuyt and Sloth from the Goonies.
    If people would just be told to cop the f*ck on if they're reporting that stuff then that would be just grand.

No need for it in a match thread though. Outside of that it should be fine.

I dont think its overly fair to expect the mods to babysit people who cant take a bit of humour.

If people take offence over stupid things I'd say its more there problem and that mods cant be expected to cater to every oversensitive Joe Bloggs who has a moan.

If you are a big enough boy to join up to and ask for access to the soccer forum then surely you will know that rival fans will poke a bit of fun when there team ****s up are we not adults?

No need for it in a match thread though. Outside of that it should be fine.

Context I suppose. If there was a relevant joke to be made it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Not beable to post in the superthread during your teams match. I have no interest in the game thread because its usually a cesspool of trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That's fair enough which is why I said I probably deserved it I just can't understand the amount of people that reported it.

Tbf ones posting history has alot to do with how one is perceived.

You took great pleasure in United's misfortune last year, understandably so tbf, but some people prolly took that as "trolling" so when you post something that some may deem offence worthy, even if its 100% not how you intended it, then its understandable that some may think you are actually trolling. The same happens with a couple of United fans the moment they post anything in the LFC thread, they get rounded on by the same few individuals whether their intention was to get a rise or not and thats because of their previous indiscretions.

FWIW, I dont think you are a troll, I also dont think there are any more than a handful of actual trolls regularly active on here any more which is down to mod action and people getting bored when they get cottoned on to and everyone else just disregards them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Headshot wrote: »
    Not beable to post in the superthread during your teams match. I have no interest in the game thread because its usually a cesspool of trolling.

I'd agree with this to be honest.
    People post links to the game thread in the match thread etc, I'd say it would be difficult to stop regulars of a super thread posting about a game in their super thread to be honest. Bit harsh getting carded or whatever for posting in the super thread if you've no interest in posting in the game thread.
    My 2cents

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I dont think its overly fair to expect the mods to babysit people who cant take a bit of humour.

If people take offence over stupid things I'd say its more there problem and that mods cant be expected to cater to every oversensitive Joe Bloggs who has a moan.

If you are a big enough boy to join up to and ask for access to the soccer forum then surely you will know that rival fans will poke a bit of fun when there team ****s up are we not adults?

the problem for me is that people use that leighway to troll. "oh its just jokes don't be so sensitive" is just a poor excuse for trying to wind people up, so easy to say.

It's not though. This season they have been 90% about what's happening on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think the rule of not being allowed to post about an ongoing match in the superthread is a very silly one.

I don't see a valid reason as to why the rule is there. All the years while the rule wasn't there (or not enforced) there was never any major problems. 95% of match talk in Superthreads is people who want to avoid the troll fest that many match threads become. It works fine the cast majority of the time.

Sure in theory you could construct reasons as to why the rule should be there, but from my experience those reasons don't hold water in reality.

Get rid of the rule imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Blatter wrote: »
    I think the rule of not being allowed to post about an ongoing match in the superthread is a very silly one.

I don't see a valid reason as to why the rule is there. All the years while the rule wasn't there (or not enforced) there was never any major problems. 95% of match talk in Superthreads is people who want to avoid the troll fest that many match threads become. It works fine the cast majority of the time.

Sure in theory you could construct reasons as to why the rule should be there, but from my experience those reasons don't hold water in reality.

Get rid of the rule imo.

But then you'd have people going into said Superthreads and being considered trolls etc etc. Seems fine the way it is.

But then you'd have people going into said Superthreads and being considered trolls etc etc. Seems fine the way it is.

Superthreads are a different kettle of fish to match threads. "Lol at United" in a match thread is one thing but "Lol at United" in the United thread is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Forum seems well moderated to me.

However, there are about 6 or 7 posters on either side of the United/Liverpool nonsense that seem to think that they are the internet guardians for their clubs and spend all their time going tit for tat with one another. It makes match threads, and even completely unrelated threads, unreadable at times and it's a bit awkward to see grown men act like children.

I have no resolution to offer for this past banning certain people or them growing up, but it's feedback nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Its not as if people are reading the thread and trying not to spoil the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think there is a good few of us who can weed out the trolls around here. Plenty have come and gone and gotten bored or adpated to life here when the only reaction they get is to be laughed at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I always feel that this is one of those arguments that don't pan out when you examine the "problem" in depth.

Yeah, there's a few posters who enter a thread to lol when a team they dislike concede, but for the most part, that's not "trolling"; it's simply part and parcel of football. There's highs and lows, and there'll be people who enjoy seeing their rival fans "suffer".

When there's clear cases of trolling, we'll always try and action them asap, but there's some who declare match threads as train wrecks before the threads even start, and seem to just not want to have to engage with other groups of fans at all.

As much as I detest the word "banter", there is a line between trolling and "banter", and everyone seems to set the line in different places. But if we start calling that line of discussion "trolling", 90% of the board will be purged. :P

Forum seems well moderated to me.

However, there are about 6 or 7 posters on either side of the United/Liverpool nonsense that seem to think that they are the internet guardians for their clubs and spend all their time going tit for tat with one another. It makes match threads, and even completely unrelated threads, unreadable at times and it's a bit awkward to see grown men act like children.

I have no resolution to offer for this past banning certain people or them growing up, but it's feedback nonetheless.

Yep moderators have no fix for the immaturity of posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think posts such as "Jesus christ", "Ah FFS", "GOOOAALLL" etc... would really clog up the super thread and that's what the match threads are for. If there's a legit talking point such as a penalty or a tactical discussion then it should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I always feel that this is one of those arguments that don't pan out when you examine the "problem" in depth.

Yeah, there's a few posters who enter a thread to lol when a team they dislike concede, but for the most part, that's not "trolling"; it's simply part and parcel of football. There's highs and lows, and there'll be people who enjoy seeing their rival fans "suffer".

When there's clear cases of trolling, we'll always try and action them asap, but there's some who declare match threads as train wrecks before the threads even start, and seem to just not want to have to engage with other groups of fans at all.

As much as I detest the word "banter", there is a line between trolling and "banter", and everyone seems to set the line in different places. But if we start calling that line of discussion "trolling", 90% of the board will be purged. :P

Even if you would accept this to be true, there's no good reason to ban match talk in Superthreads. I remember when PHB was the first to try and consistently implement the rule a few years back and everybody was like ''wtf is this about, there's no need for this rule''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think the don't be a dick rule should be used more frequently. The constant back and forth with two Liverpool fans in particular makes the place very hard to read at times.

Just tell them both to stop being dicks or take a break for a week.

Also another fan who throws out hypotheticals regarding two rival teams and sits back and watches the cluster**** unfold but is clever enough not to pick up cards.

I do realise it is hard to enforce but more leeway should be given to the mods in the regard

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

How about realising that everyone posting here is an adult and don't need to be treated like children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

How about realising that everyone posting here is an adult and don't need to be treated like children?

for that to work a lot of people would need to stop behaving like children.

for that to work a lot of people would need to stop behaving like children.

If people choose to act like kids, they'll do what kids do and eventually get bored and move on. Some of the moderation here, in my opinion, is borderline ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

People consistently act like children in this forum. It's one of the reasons I'm more in favour of strict moderation, to the letter of the law. Take the nicknames issue. No nicknames ever is consistent and easily understandable. Cards follow every time, the level of discourse has a guaranteed floor. It won't descend past a certain level and that's to the betterment of discussion.

It definitely was worse. A lot of the trolls stay away from match thread these days/stay in superthreads or maybe were banned.

People consistently act like children in this forum. It's one of the reasons I'm more in favour of strict moderation, to the letter of the law. Take the nicknames issue. No nicknames ever is consistent and easily understandable. Cards follow every time, the level of discourse has a guaranteed floor. It won't descend past a certain level and that's to the betterment of discussion.

It's a fine line though. This place would be ****e without a bit of a laugh. It was great craic last year when liverpool were going well but ****e every other year. That's just the way it is.

Anybody who uses a nickname for a player or manager should be embarrassed for themselves anyway. Few things make me cringe more than the nicknames Liverpool and United fans have for opposing players and ex managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think I've been outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Why is Kess still a mod? He hasn't even logged into Boards for 9 months.

Surely his modship(?) could be taken up by someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Anybody who uses a nickname for a player or manager should be embarrassed for themselves anyway. Few things make me cringe more than the nicknames Liverpool and United fans have for opposing players and ex managers

Steady on there princess :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement