Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback Thread 2015

• 05-06-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be opening this properly on Monday for everyone to have their say and it will remain open for a week, hopefully we'll have some positive inputs and good ideas for changes etc.

As always, standard Feedback rules apply (which will be posted on Monday).

So anything thats good or bad that ye want to raise, make a note of it for Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Few points, as per the usual Feedback threads.

Trolling, abuse or breaches of the charter in this thread will be an immediate infraction and 2 week ban for anyone who breaches the rules. If you want to post in this thread you are agreeing to accept this rule, we want this thread to run smoothly as its all in yere vested interests.

Couple of basic ground rules before we get going:

(1) No scapegoating of individual posters or Moderators. This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against people you don't like. This is yere chance to tell us what we should or should not be doing.

(2) If someone makes a point that you don't agree with then either respond in a constructive manner with a decent counter-point or don't respond at all. Attempted witty one liners to undermine an argument are pointless and will not be tolerated. Most of the time you think you're being funny, you're not. If you think it's not a good idea outline reasons why you think it's not going to work instead of dragging the thread wildly off topic.

(3) Please, when you're making a point take a second to THINK about it and make sure it's what you actually want. So make sure when you're asking for something to happen that you realise it's going to effect you too, not just other users.

(4) As usual, we'll be using 'Thanks' to work out what suggestions seem the most supported, so if you agree what someone says thank their post and it gives us a better idea and makes it easier to keep track that trying to add up loads of individual posts. This is your chance to have your say so if you have an issue and you think it needs to be resolved mention it, but please remember this isnt a place to grind your axe, try be constructive in your input.

(5) Let's have a grown up discussion and please note this thread has a 1 week life span it will be shut on Monday 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Since the last feedback thread I think things have been a lot better, most of the trouble has been weeded out but there will always be trolls and re-regs

Moderating consistency and ambiguity are brought up every year and there's never any improvement or answers there so I suppose there's not much else that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Moderating consistency and ambiguity are brought up every year and there's never any improvement or answers there so I suppose there's not much else that can be done.

It's because there are ostensibly two sides to this, and different people come down on different sides, and they each lead to their own set of problems for the mods. There's not really a middle ground to be had either.

1. Mod to the letter of the charter. Probably the fairest, but can cause people to say "it's too heavy handed"

2. Mod to the spirit of the charter. Probably a good way to do it, but it leads to "But he posted this, and wasn't carded, I posted that and was, it's so totally not fair", and leads to inconsistency.

Which would you like it to be?

They're probably peoples biggests issues but usually and I dont want to speak for all the mods, if I see something thats clear cut I'll action it, if anything looks a bit off and a potetinal grey area I'll ask the others for their input regarding a decision.

The flip side to that is, not all of us are online at the same time so a potetinal issue or reported post goes unpunished for a period before we decide what to do and it might look the Mods are ignoring something.

Personally, if something needs to be questionned I'd prefer a few inputs from the other Mods before carding/banning people as that leads to seperate problems of over zealous Modding and can lead to DRPs.

Ideally we'd have a few Mods active all the time but being volunters and having RL commitments, certain issues can arise from time to time.

But going back to the main point of consistency, unless the charter spelled out every possible action for a breach of the charter there will be consistency issues. It was suggested to drop the charter and go by the Boards rule of "dont be a dick" again, a noble idea in principal but sometimes people want some reference point of whats allowed and whats not and while the charter isnt all encompassing, it offers people a glimpse to the Do'ss and Dont's of the forum, if they read it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's also the third side, which is Mod to the Letter for everyone but not me when I do something I feel shouldn't be against the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hey Gav, would having more active mods help?

There's mods there that I never see online for whatever reason. This is fair enough but it's not ideal in such a busy forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's because there are ostensibly two sides to this, and different people come down on different sides, and they each lead to their own set of problems for the mods. There's not really a middle ground to be had either.

1. Mod to the letter of the charter. Probably the fairest, but can cause people to say "it's too heavy handed"

2. Mod to the spirit of the charter. Probably a good way to do it, but it leads to "But he posted this, and wasn't carded, I posted that and was, it's so totally not fair", and leads to inconsistency.

Number 2 please.
    There's also the third side, which is Mod to the Letter for everyone but not me when I do something I feel shouldn't be against the charter.

And I think that's where most of the disquiet is generally, and who cares tbh.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hey Gav, would having more active mods help?

There's mods there that I never see online for whatever reason. This is fair enough but it's not ideal in such a busy forum.

More mods is always welcome but finding them and getting them approved isnt always the easiest process.

A few people have turned down the gig, thats totally at their discretion, its not for everyone either. Right now I think the forum is running well enough, but there is certain periods when the forum has more traffic. Big EPL games, big European games and summer tournaments would see more posters and of course, more chance for trouble.

We could look for mods outside of the forum if we need a few more on board but ideally you want a poster that knows the forum and how it works but thats probably a discussion for the Mods and CMods if we need to go down that route in the future.

I will say that we've got some excellent Mods and some who are online pretty consistently too though, whether it be in match threads or their own teams forums.

Speaking from my own experience, I've got Boards going in the background in work, I'm lucky enough to have that luxury, so between 8.30 - 5.30 I'm usually active, not all the time but I'm around and most evenings I'll browse on the phone. Everyone has different commitments and abilities and times theyre free to devote to modding though so I'd never be harsh on someone who isnt always online, it is a volunter service after all but ikt does go back to your point of more mods, do we need them?

Maybe, but right now I doint think its a huge issue thats going to cause the forum any problems but its something that we always consider, we're always looking out for new mods incase one of the current team wants a break or decides to step down.

I'm not asking for anything, just mentioning what comes up every year and that there's not much can be done about it. Although I will say, I've seen posts that were actioned on and are repeated elsewhere by someone else pretty much word for word that aren't.

Fair enough Gav but it's something to keep in mind.

Btw, the mods time is certainly appreciated. Without them it'd be like 28 days later in here!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

GavRedKing wrote: »
    More mods is always welcome but finding them and getting them approved isnt always the easiest process.

A few people have turned down the gig, thats totally at their discretion, its not for everyone either. Right now I think the forum is running well enough, but there is certain periods when the forum has more traffic. Big EPL games, big European games and summer tournaments would see more posters and of course, more chance for trouble.

We could look for mods outside of the forum if we need a few more on board but ideally you want a poster that knows the forum and how it works but thats probably a discussion for the Mods and CMods if we need to go down that route in the future.

I will say that we've got some excellent Mods and some who are online pretty consistently too though, whether it be in match threads or their own teams forums.

Speaking from my own experience, I've got Boards going in the background in work, I'm lucky enough to have that luxury, so between 8.30 - 5.30 I'm usually active, not all the time but I'm around and most evenings I'll browse on the phone. Everyone has different commitments and abilities and times theyre free to devote to modding though so I'd never be harsh on someone who isnt always online, it is a volunter service after all but ikt does go back to your point of more mods, do we need them?

Maybe, but right now I doint think its a huge issue thats going to cause the forum any problems but its something that we always consider, we're always looking out for new mods incase one of the current team wants a break or decides to step down.

rarnes1 and his 20 alternate active accounts would add a lot of firepower quickly to the mod team.

;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair enough Gav but it's something to keep in mind.

Always, usually the outgoing mods give us decent notice to get someone else in and up to speed before stepping down which is appreciated by us but we've always got one or two usernames in reserve.
    Btw, the mods time is certainly appreciated. Without them it'd be like 28 days later in here!

:eek: :P

5starpool wrote: »
    rarnes1 and his 20 alternate active accounts would add a lot of firepower quickly to the mod team.

;)

Ha!

Gtfo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Just a question about this thread that was around few weeks ago. How was the OP allowed to start the thread as the user only had 12 posts and should not have had access to the forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057437311

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kksaints wrote: »
    Just a question about this thread that was around few weeks ago. How was the OP allowed to start the thread as the user only had 12 posts and should not have had access to the forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057437311

It was moved here from After Hours by one of the mods over there, notice OP didn't post in the thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What about removing the word 'rumours' from thread titles and changing it for news.
    The summer months are painful enough, but some posters will post stupid rumours from the express or daily mail or their mates dog.
    When they rumour bit gets crushed they play the victim saying well the thread has rumours in it.

All these clickbait articles are a pet peeve of mine and I guess we can't ban the tabloid newspapers.
    It's pedantic I know

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What about removing the word 'rumours' from thread titles and changing it for news.
    The summer months are painful enough, but some posters will post stupid rumours from the express or daily mail or their mates dog.
    When they rumour bit gets crushed they play the victim saying well the thread has rumours in it.

All these clickbait articles are a pet peeve of mine and I guess we can't ban the tabloid newspapers.
    It's pedantic I know

I don't think that would actually change anything being posted. If you stopped allowing people to post rumours or speculation you'd essentially be killing off those threads entirely when there is no actual games to talk about.

I don't think that would actually change anything being posted. If you stopped allowing people to post rumours or speculation you'd essentially be killing off those threads entirely when there is no actual games to talk about.

It's more the absolutely nonsense articles people post.
    One example off the top of my head was the daily express saying utd were signing Ronaldo and bale for 153.7 million.
    Maybe it's because utd get linked with everyone but I would sleep better at night knowing rubbish articles wouldn't darken my door.

It's pedantic I know

I'm 5star here, even if we drop the rumours from the thread titles, its not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Now, if someone pops in to threads and is saying Messi is going to sign for Leicester, thats the rumour I heard and keeps banging that drum then youve an issue.

The summer months are painful enough and tabloids, as most people know, will print or post nearly anything for clicks so people should be more selective in what they click into it.

If we actively start hunting down peopole for posting rumours or even "what if" stories the forum would be dead during the summer months. Yes the summer transfer window can be painful but I cant and wouldnt want people to stop posting about rumours, part of what makes the summer bearable is posting about a rumour and discussing the pros and cons of it, IMO of course.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being overly pedantic.

Less pedants, more trolls so. They are always fun.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Honestly, what trolling is allowed? The humour thread seems to be a place where you can troll to your hearts content without much happening. Recent post "bindipping *****" being used to associate with Liverpool fans. So, you can breach the charter by .jpeg or .gif but god help you if you actually type the words?

Inconsistent moderating is my biggest problem with the forum. It seems more of a "who you are" as regards to what you can say and how you can breach the charter

BMMachine wrote: »
    Honestly, what trolling is allowed? The humour thread seems to be a place where you can troll to your hearts content without much happening. Recent post "bindipping *****" being used to associate with Liverpool fans. So, you can breach the charter by .jpeg or .gif but god help you if you actually type the words?

Inconsistent moderating is my biggest problem with the forum. It seems more of a "who you are" as regards to what you can say and how you can breach the charter

As you were typing that I was dealing with that post in question actually.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As you were typing that I was dealing with that post in question actually.

ahh cool. Point still stands though, it is the thread for trolling and getting away with it.

ahh cool. Point still stands though, it is the thread for trolling and getting away with it.

Not trying to argue with ya but like all humour its pretty subjective. Its going to annoy Pool fans and that post in particular was too far IMO so it was actioned.

However, I've seen posts taking the p*ss out of every club, its all about who is in the news at the time. At various stages this year it was Pool, Utd, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and a host of European clubs.

I hate this word but a bit more "banter" is usually allowed in the thread but when something obvious breaches the charter like the other post, we act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Presume this is for feedback good and bad.

I always disliked reading the Rangers thread, it felt like the Wild West and completely at odds with the rest of the forum and how its run. People have issues with Rangers which is fine but the trolling that happened there was a joke.

The difference in the last couple of months is fantastic, still as much criticism of what seems to be a club all over the place, on and off the pitch, but on the whole, loads more constructive and relying much less on the cheap digs and "humourous" names used for Rangers.

So think the mods and also most of the regular posters there, on both sides of the fence, deserve some credit for how much better it is.

The Humour Thread is grand for the most part, nobody is forced to view it, if your team isn't doing well and you're easily offended it's probably best to give it a wide berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

The Humour Thread is grand for the most part, nobody is forced to view it, if your team isn't doing well and you're easily offended it's probably best to give it a wide berth.

Which, as a Liverpool fan, is one of the main reasons I don't go in there.

nobody is forced to view it, if your team isn't doing well and you're easily offended it's probably best to give it a wide berth.

so its okay to breach the charter on it then?
    GavRedKing wrote:
    Not trying to argue with ya but like all humour its pretty subjective. Its going to annoy Pool fans and that post in particular was too far IMO so it was actioned.

However, I've seen posts taking the p*ss out of every club, its all about who is in the news at the time. At various stages this year it was Pool, Utd, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and a host of European clubs.

I hate this word but a bit more "banter" is usually allowed in the thread but when something obvious breaches the charter like the other post, we act.

theres taking the piss and then theres trolling. You are right, it is for every club, the 13/14 season utd fans got trolled in it, thats not a good thing.
    It almost seems like a competition on the thread to post the most acidic and scathing thing possible and get away with it and is entirely inconsistent to the rest of the forum.

Honestly, inconsistent is a bit of a buzzword when it comes to the moderating in general here. In some cases, you can accuse someone of being a troll and get away with it, in others, you can't. There seems to be a lot of these unwritten rules and personally, I think that depends on who you are rather than what you say

brevity wrote: »
    Which, as a Liverpool fan, is one of the main reasons I don't go in there.

There's some funny stuff in there among the pettiness in fairness. It was all slung United's way last year and I laughed at a lot of it. They're just pics, gifs and jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

theres taking the piss and then theres trolling. You are right, it is for every club, the 13/14 season utd fans got trolled in it, thats not a good thing.
    It almost seems like a competition on the thread to post the most acidic and scathing thing possible and get away with it and is entirely inconsistent to the rest of the forum.

Honestly, inconsistent is a bit of a buzzword when it comes to the moderating in general here. In some cases, you can accuse someone of being a troll and get away with it, in others, you can't. There seems to be a lot of these unwritten rules and personally, I think that depends on who you are rather than what you say

You've said that twice now, can you elaborate?

I never said that. There's a mod note in the opening post, the jist of it being that if you're a drama llama it's probably best not to follow that thread.
    There's a little bit of leeway given over the other threads which is fair because you can avoid it if you want to whereas if it was popping up in superthreads you can't really avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

We need to close the thread in that case or perhaps just avoid it? It's not trolling, it's posting funny gifs and pics when a team isn't doing well. It's part and parcel of humour on this forum. A lot of them are hilarious even the ones against my team. Some of them are not funny but you don't have to laugh just like you shouldn't get offended. If something is out of line it needs to reported.

It also means less pics and gifs in superthreads which I'm all for. Except Kate Upton gifs, they need to come back :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You've said that twice now, can you elaborate?

probably not without name dropping which is something I don't want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say that I believe that the forum is being run better right now thas it ever has been in my time here. Credit to all the mods for that.

Don't change anything right now is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

It's pedantic I know

Maybe have a seasonal thread/sub-forum for transfer rumours/news?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The humour thread is mostly a bit of craic tbf and I can only see the most sensitive of souls getting offended by it.

One wonders would people that get offended be as offended if for example a Coventry fan posted a pic taking the mick out of United or Liverpool as opposed to a United fan taking the mick out of LFC or vice versa, I would be fairly confident that the offence would be substantially less....

Second one is pretty funny. Putting it in the LFC thread would be trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Humourous. Thicken your skin mate
    United got torn apart when Moyes was in charge. Its cyclical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If they were posted in the LFC super thread then yes, I would say it's trolling as that's where LFC fans congregate / post more and the pics have nothing to do with discussion of LFC.

Context and placing is everything and in the main the mods handle it bang on IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's some funny stuff in there among the pettiness in fairness. It was all slung United's way last year and I laughed at a lot of it. They're just pics, gifs and jokes.

If people get offended by the Humour thread,they mustn't get out much let alone ever go to a pub.Last season United got hammered in it,this season it's Liverpool-the merry go round keeps spinning.It's just craic.

What I'd like to see clarified is the issue of phrases etc. which having been used widely in the forum suddenly being deemed offensive and cards being handed out without warning for using well worn terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Humour thread is great. The only thing I smiled about with the whole Moyes catastrophe was the funny gifs etc posted.

People getting offended by it need to cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I feel like the humour thread involves everyone going into it accepting that they have to have thicker skin.

Individual club threads are a "safe space" and match threads should be neutral ground.

So long as there's no genuinely awful stuff making light of tragedy, bringing in racism or whatever, it's probably not a big deal to have one dump valve for everyone to get their little jabs in.

I'm sure it probably placates some of the trollier posters as well, where they can get their jollies without pissing everyone else off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

For the love of all that is good- do not change the Humour Thread rules. It's the one place where having a sly jab at another's expense is allowed, and it's savage craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The humour thread is a great containment space. Leave it as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Everything is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have to say that I believe that the forum is being run better right now thas it ever has been in my time here. Credit to all the mods for that.

Don't change anything right now is my opinion.

would go along with that. Rare enough I leave the confines of the Chelsea thread but may do on the lead up to a match. You at least get the feeling now that other supporters coming into the Chelsea thread now are doing so for a conversation and not to see if they can get a yellow card generated.

That is to be welcomed and the mods commended.

so yes, its okay to troll as long as its in the humour thread is what you are saying?

and you should "thicken your skin" if you are being trolled there. Does the same "thicken your skin" rule apply to all the other threads as well? Why isn't that in the charter?
    One of the pics posted there is from YNFA - a website / hub with the purpose of trolling Liverpool fans. Yet its not trolling if posted on boards?
    unwritten rules and unclear definitions - "oh its ok to post that there but not here and here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MagicIRL wrote: »
    For the love of all that is good- do not change the Humour Thread rules. It's the one place where having a sly jab at another's expense is allowed, and it's savage craic!

I'm off to post something in it.As was said before so long as there's no racism,laughing at tragedy etc. then leave it alone.
    We can all have a grumble over opposing fans laughing at our expense but anyone who gets offended needs to take a look at themselves.We laugh,get annoyed and move on to the next thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Tbh the forum works well as it is. Not any glaring errors or oversights. The moderation/charter interpretation consistency (or lack off) is unavoidable. Moderators are not a computer programme with definitive black and white yes and no answers for certain situations. Personal interpretation will become a part of it and that can lead to different opinions, that cant be stopped its natural. Similarly a poster with say 1000+ posts is going to be more likely to get away with a "dicier" comment that a debutant. Its familiarity they'd have and used to the other posters style. Its actually very well run forum tbf. Not power crazy mod police banning like mad crap that can sometimes happen. They give fair warning to cop the **** on. If ya dont ya get whats coming.
    Well done Gav.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement