Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rwbug wrote: »
    Champions League - I just want to play someone other than Bayern and CSKA again in the groups. Also not Barca yet again in first ko round if we get out. Variety is spice of live and all that.

we can only imagine how handy our neighbours draw will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Lukker- wrote: »
    Based on City's past performances I wouldn't get too hopeful :pac:

Poor Pel he just cant beat barca, even when he was at Madrid he got the most points for Madrid ever(up to that point) and barca still beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Sweet jesus
    I thought we had barca there for a minute

Juve is no easy draw though

but could have been far worse

now to see who else we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

we can only imagine how handy our neighbours draw will be
    PSV as their group's top seed. Surprise, surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Feck, Sevilla

We shouldn't be frightened of any of those sides. Juventus have been stripped of a whole raft of top notch players. Sevilla are no mugs, but I'd like to think we're the better side. And while you can never discount German sides, Gladbach were fourth seeds for (presumably) valid reasons.

Finally, seeing as we avoided Wolfsburg, can we get the KDB deal finally done? Pretty please, with sugar on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Tough group again. No easy matches really, Monchengladbach and Sevilla both pretty formidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

blueser wrote: »
    We shouldn't be frightened of any of those sides. Juventus have been stripped of a whole raft of top notch players. Sevilla are no mugs, but I'd like to think we're the better side. And while you can never discount German sides, Gladbach were fourth seeds for (presumably) valid reasons.

Finally, seeing as we avoided Wolfsburg, can we get the KDB deal finally done? Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Gladbach are pretty good, drew and beat Bayern in the league last year, finished 3 points behind Wolfsburg. Have some quality players like Xhaka and Herrmann, I wouldn't underestimate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Not a bad group considering the teams we have been drawn against in the last few years. Glad to avoid Madrid and Barca anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Not a bad group considering the teams we have been drawn against in the last few years. Glad to avoid Madrid and Barca anyway.

It's a horrible group to be fair, you couldn't have got Madrid anyway they were in the same pot as you. :p

Johner wrote: »
    It's a horrible group to be fair, you couldn't have got Madrid anyway they were in the same pot as you. :p

Far from horrible,and there is no real easy teams but we dodged the heavy weights so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Far from horrible,and there is no real easy teams but we dodged the heavy weights so happy enough.

Juve last years finalists are lightweights?

I think it's a horrible group myself, Sevilla and Monchengladbach are a very tough pair.

Juve last years finalists are lightweights?

Not at all but they lost alot of players that got them there tevez pirlo evera and wont be easy.To be honest im not certain on what teams we could have met but we doged PSG Atletico Madrid Barca and Bayern,Porto and Benfica and defentily easier than last year!!

Not at all but they lost alot of players that got them there tevez pirlo evera and wont be easy.To be honest im not certain on what teams we could have met but we doged PSG Atletico Madrid Barca and Bayern,Porto and Benfica and defentily easier than last year!!
    Agreed. Easier, but not easy. They're all sides to be respected, but not feared. If we play to our potential, we'll give any of them a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Tough group again. No easy matches really, Monchengladbach and Sevilla both pretty formidable.

Gladbach are handy but nowhere near your level. After their great 70ies :eek: they ultimately couldn't keep up with Bayern. Suffering from their small stadium and eventually got relegated. It took them a long time to come back to the top spots in the league, build a new stadium and now they finally made it back into Europe even. But like I said they're at a different level compared to the resources City have available to them. They could probably live an entire season off what ye guys spend on one player alone. I know football doesn't work that way, but they have very little international experience and reaching the knockout stages is a long shot for them.

Full schedule
    City v Juventus Tuesday 15/09

Borussia v City Wednesday 30/09

City v Sevilla Wednesday 21/10

Sevilla v City Tuesday 03/11

Juventus v City Wednesday 25/11

City v Borussia Tuesday 8/12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Rony Lopes sold to Monaco for around €10m. Disappointing and not very 'holistic' to lose our youngest ever goalscorer this way, although I guess we were forced into it with him only having one year left on his contract and his desire for first team football right now.

I think we might see more deals like the Ntcham deal with Genoa in future - five year contracts and long loans to avoid this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Big statement needed today, it was this sort of game where we never properly performed last season.

that pass from toure:eek:

• Advertisement

Excellent in the 2nd half sterling gets his goal and of course other results today

4 wins 10 goals 0 conceded

perfect start:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Congrats lads, 2016 PL champions for sure.

Can't see Liverpool or Man U challenging you - maaaybe Arsenal - but unlikely.

So well done.
    Man City EPL Champions elect 2016

article-2625634-1DC0B2E700000578-829_634x400.jpg

Just back at the hotel after the game. A competent, professional, but not overly spectacular, performance from the side today. Watford were well organised and frustrated us in the first half. But once we got the quick breakthrough after HT, the win was never in doubt. Delighted for Raheem to notch his first "proper" goal for us, and you can see what it meant to the lad. And what a belter from Fern, to go along with his piledriver against Chelsea. Fern got MOTM at the stadium, but I'd have picked Sagna. I don't know what happened to him in the close season, but he's transformed so far in this campaign. And a hearty congratulations to Alan Pardew and Slaven Bilic for contributing to an excellent weekend. Gary Monk, over to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

This season is just getting better and better. :D

Still haven't conceded a goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

KDB confirmed, some attack we have now.

CNqkBPlWIAADyIF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

the_monkey wrote: »
    Congrats lads, 2016 PL champions for sure.

Can't see Liverpool or Man U challenging you - maaaybe Arsenal - but unlikely.

So well done.
    Man City EPL Champions elect 2016

article-2625634-1DC0B2E700000578-829_634x400.jpg

You're a disgrace man...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You guys are gonna love De Bruyne.

You already have a fantastic attacking force, but with him behind it delivering fantastic passes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Fanastic start by city. Be interesting to see how Pell can keep the players happy, but it is a nice problem to have.

As for this weekend, it is fun seeing the meltdowns from the Chelsea/man utd/pool fans at the same time.

Pity about the international break, just hope we don't get any injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Not a city fan but i'm gonna call the De Bruyne buy the worst buy in football history (in money terms and not that city will care).

Technically good but too slow for the premier league. If he plays more than 25% of matches this year I would be surprised.

He will have to drop deep to get on the ball and end up knocking wide & long to sterling/navas. Being deep he'll have to a bit of defending which he simply can't do given past experience.

Ultimately, Lampard he is not.

That's quite a call. We'll wait and see. I don't think there's a chance he'll even be the worst signing in City's history tbh.

• Advertisement

Calling him 'too slow' is a pretty big claim.

Especially since you know... he's not slow at all. I don't know where this notion comes from that the Premier League is faster than for example the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

The only question mark I would have on KDB is his temperament technically he is a fine player. I think you might have overpaid but the market is mad so it's actually hard to say that with conviction, but there is no doubt he is a quality player.

Not a city fan but i'm gonna call the De Bruyne buy the worst buy in football history (in money terms and not that city will care).

Technically good but too slow for the premier league. If he plays more than 25% of matches this year I would be surprised.

He will have to drop deep to get on the ball and end up knocking wide & long to sterling/navas. Being deep he'll have to a bit of defending which he simply can't do given past experience.

Angel Di Maria, Andy Carroll, Roberto Soldado and Fernando Torres all say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Cannot believe the amount City paid for DB. Been a Wolfsburg season holder for 2 years now and he never impressed me in the Bundesliga. Hes good.. Hes just not good enough for the speed of the premiership

Cannot believe the amount City paid for DB. Been a Wolfsburg season holder for 2 years now and he never impressed me in the Bundesliga. Hes good.. Hes just not good enough for the speed of the premiership

He was voted Bundesliga player of the year and it wasn't even a close vote.

What makes you think the Premier League is so much faster than the Bundesliga ? I don't believe there is much, if any difference.

If he was coming from the Serie A I could understand which tends to be a bit slower and more tactical.

I genuinely feel a lot of people still believe the Premier League is the be all, end all of football and that somehow the best players of other leagues might struggle there.

Angel Di Maria, Andy Carroll, Roberto Soldado and Fernando Torres all say hello!

If he's a worse signing than Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, or Jerome Boateng I'll be absolutely shocked.

If he's a worse signing than Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, or Jerome Boateng I'll be absolutely shocked.
    I was hoping they wouldn't be brought up actually!
    ;)

God knows, we've had enough woeful buys in our history. Samaras, Coradi, Clough, Bradbury, even going back to the likes of Steve Daley and Mike Channon. The only reason I mentioned the ones I did is that the poster didn't limit it to City players (thank fcuk!) and that those players went for really silly money in the not so distant past. And of course, I forgot to mention the deal to beat all deals; £50m for David Luiz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

From reading your post it seems you are a Chelsea fan possibly still bitter about letting a £55m pound player go for £18m and seeing him end up at your main rivals.

For £55m he'll play more that 25% of the matches regardless of how good he is. You get time to settle in when your worth £55m. Torres (the current worst buy in football history) got plenty of chances at Chelsea.

From reading your post it seems you are a Chelsea fan possibly still bitter about letting a £55m pound player go for £18m and seeing him end up at your main rivals.

For £55m he'll play more that 25% of the matches regardless of how good he is. You get time to settle in when your worth £55m. Torres (the current worst buy in football history) got plenty of chances at Chelsea.

Not sure that he is have never seen him on the Chelsea thread anyhow's.

We do, apparently, get 20% of the fee so it adds up to around £30m and I am not aware of any bitter feelings from any Chelsea fan. Most were not really sorry to see him go as he never seemed willing to fight for his place. He may or may not be a success at City time will tell. Personally have no great feeling for him one way or the other, not sure he improves your team (it is very very strong as it is) but certainly adds depth.

In fairness to Nando he did score the copper fastening goal at Barca that gave Gary Neville an on screen happy moment and got us to the CL final. Also won the corner in the final that Drogger scored the equaliser from and enabled us to win the champions league, I wouldn't mind a few more failures like that down our way, I think he provided more to Chelsea than say Robinho did for you guys. I am not sure we ever really thanked you for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    He was voted Bundesliga player of the year and it wasn't even a close vote.

What makes you think the Premier League is so much faster than the Bundesliga ? I don't believe there is much, if any difference.

If he was coming from the Serie A I could understand which tends to be a bit slower and more tactical.

I genuinely feel a lot of people still believe the Premier League is the be all, end all of football and that somehow the best players of other leagues might struggle there.

EPL is definitely the fastest league. This isn't necessarily a good thing, but it has a huge emphasis on strong fast players, a generally gung ho smash and grab style of play and referee's that stop the play far less then other leagues.

Not sure that he is have never seen him on the Chelsea thread anyhow's.

We do, apparently, get 20% of the fee so it adds up to around £30m and I am not aware of any bitter feelings from any Chelsea fan. Most were not really sorry to see him go as he never seemed willing to fight for his place. He may or may not be a success at City time will tell. Personally have no great feeling for him one way or the other, not sure he improves your team (it is very very strong as it is) but certainly adds depth.

In fairness to Nando he did score the copper fastening goal at Barca that gave Gary Neville an on screen happy moment and got us to the CL final. Also won the corner in the final that Drogger scored the equaliser from and enabled us to win the champions league, I wouldn't mind a few more failures like that down our way, I think he provided more to Chelsea than say Robinho did for you guys. I am not sure we ever really thanked you for that.
    Agree with you re. Robinho. He was a big disappointment, but the thinking still persists that he was the equivalent of a marker being put down by the club, that we were after the big names and that what he did on the pitch, while obviously not irrelevant, was almost secondary to the fact that he was actually at City at all. It's fairly common knowledge by now that he wasn't a Mark Hughes signing, more the chairman at the time. However, I can't agree with you about Torres not being seen as a failure at Chelsea. For £50m, I'd expect a lot more than a semi final (I think?) clinching goal and a second-hand assist in the Drogba header in Munich. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

EPL is definitely the fastest league. This isn't necessarily a good thing, but it has a huge emphasis on strong fast players, a generally gung ho smash and grab style of play and referee's that stop the play far less then other leagues.

http://www.prozonesports.com/style-and-substance-the-evolution-of-the-premier-league/

You're thinking of the Premier League of about 10 years ago.
    Hell, even Stoke seem to be getting rid of the 'kick it to the big guy' tactics :pac:

It may not be as much stop and go as other leagues, but referees still tend to stop the game in England as soon as soon as someone goes down, whether it's an actual foul or not.

I would agree that it's a lot faster than it used to be, but that can also be said about other leagues like Spain, Germany, the Netherlands,...

The evolution of the Premier League will see guys like De Bruyne thrive. Hazard is the best example in recent history. A smaller player who is still able to make his team tick. I'm pretty positive that De Bruyne will be able to do so for City as well.

Agree with you re. Robinho. He was a big disappointment, but the thinking still persists that he was the equivalent of a marker being put down by the club, that we were after the big names and that what he did on the pitch, while obviously not irrelevant, was almost secondary to the fact that he was actually at City at all. It's fairly common knowledge by now that he wasn't a Mark Hughes signing, more the chairman at the time. However, I can't agree with you about Torres not being seen as a failure at Chelsea. For £50m, I'd expect a lot more than a semi final (I think?) clinching goal and a second-hand assist in the Drogba header in Munich. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think you are right regarding Robinho as a statement of intent it was very clear.

Nando was not a resounding success certainly but I dont think he was the abject failure he is portrayed as. He did do some important things the Barca goal, ok maybe a second hand assist but it was our first corner of the game and it was in the 88th minute so absolutely critical and the goal in the Thursday league final as well, how and ever it matters nowt now as he is gone I suppose but what I liked most was he always tried - he never really recovered from that knee injury but he did at least try hard for us. I do wish we have bought Aguero instead though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Stolen from other forum -

Club by Club breakdown of all 126 players called up for Englands u16-u21 Teams

CwJpm42.jpg?1

Looks like if there is another class of 92 it won't be red this time. With the way we have snapped up all the good local youngsters below this level I doubt this will get better for the red half anytime soon.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/QyFCHAv4/#match-summary

Hope he saved some of that magic for the League.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/MCFCHeisenberg/status/640528281322823680

Good to see our young lads squeeze past the quiet neighbours.

;-)

https://twitter.com/MCFCHeisenberg/status/640528281322823680

Good to see our young lads squeeze past the quiet neighbours.

;-)

They must be all sterling kids .

Get in there before someone else does.

They must be all sterling kids .

Get in there before someone else does.
    This Twitter account is an excellent source of info on the underage sides;

https://twitter.com/EsteemedKompany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

This Twitter account is an excellent source of info on the underage sides;

https://twitter.com/EsteemedKompany

Yep. Nice young guy knows his stuff and covers most young games, well worth bookmarking.

Talk of an injury to Sagna tonight. With zabaleta out til October, who'd be the next choice right back? Maffeo?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement