Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone not going to Pride?

Options
  • 29-06-2019 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

I'm not there, just not my thing.

I dont make a deal of who or what I'm into in day to day life so don't see why I'd want to go.

But have friends who are there and almost look down on me for not going.....it's their thing, not mine. Is everyone at pride?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm not doing anything special to be honest. I live in city centre so went out for a wander earlier and saw some of the parade etc. Was nice enough. Good buzz around town.

That's enough for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,878 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

368100 wrote: »

I dont make a deal of who or what I'm into in day to day life so don't see why I'd want to go.

But have friends who are there and almost look down on me for not going.....it's their thing, not mine. Is everyone at pride?
    It's not mandatory I wouldn't worry.
    I went in at 12 to the thing on Rosie Hackett, then watched some of the main parade, dinner and drinks in a few places and then headed home about 630. I really like meeting up with my friends but it tends to get a bit messy so happy to head home.
    I thought tbh there was a lovely vibe about town today, so many people all with a big smile on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Not even if I was paid for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Your friends need to cop on, if you don't want to go for whatever reason they should accept that and not hassle you.

That said, I thought this year's one was absolutely fantastic, and I've been bitching about the parades for the last couple of years!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

you should be shunned as one of those self hating paddy manning types who doesn't play political ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Skipped the parade, went in later. City was insanely busy with every venue even vaguely close to Merrion Square heaving for a few hours and really not dying down that much even later.

Went to D8 which had a surprising amount of borderline zombie evictees from the outdoor Mother falling around the place but was actually quiet for a Saturday in terms of places to eat/drink. Possibly suffering a bit for the day from the lack of the Tivoli and whatever was on there - well before the Mother days there was always something on in the Tivoli on the parade day; think there were some women-only nights many years ago, fetish nights other years and so on - all attracting hundreds or thousands to that area of the city.

Mother seems to have become the single place to go, which is odd as I remember being able to walk up to Mother in the Arlington on Pride and get in without a queue in its first years!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Well I stated before it's not my thing,but a friend of mine suggested I head up tomorrow afternoon and head out in Dublin tomorrow night.
    Where's a good place to go for two rural guys ?

We'd like to experience the gay bars and see what it's all about.
    I'm new to the scene and used to give out about the flamboyancy but why should I be moaning when I never embraced it...

Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Well I stated before it's not my thing,but a friend of mine suggested I head up tomorrow afternoon and head out in Dublin tomorrow night.

I'm new to the scene and used to give out about the flamboyancy but why should I be moaning when I never embraced it...

Any suggestions

Anything???

Echo echo echo

Anybody OUT there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Went to the parade and really enjoyed it. Hung around Merrion Square for about half an hour but I found it a bit boring so left. Pantibar, Street 66 were packed so had a few in a couple of other pubs nearby and went home at 8. Town is always very messy after Pride so I never stay out late for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Anything???

Echo echo echo

Anybody OUT there

Lol you know you posted your first message at 2.30am on the main pride night then followed up a few hours later when everyone is hanging.

The Pride Guide online will have details of events that are on later. The usual spots like the George and Panti will probably be decent regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

some of the guys on the 'Men's skin care' thread might make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,820 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

decky1 wrote: »
    some of the guys on the 'Men's skin care' thread might make it.

Yeah cause the only men who care about skin are all gay...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Any suggestions

The George (south great George's street, D2) is advertising the George pride closing party. This is a club type environment, there is also a ground floor, George's street, bar, as well.

The party as advertised sounds like their regular Sunday evening thing.

There's also pantibar, capel street.
    And street 66 on parliament Street.

I imagine both pantibar and street 66 are open but everywhere has been crazy busy over the weekend if not week that's been in it.

Yeah cause the only men who care about skin are all gay...

no one said anything of the sort.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Had a quick look at the skincare thread decky, your contributions there were not exactly - eh - helpful, in my opinion obviously.

I hope we're not going to go down that route in this forum too?

Had a quick look at the skincare thread decky, your contributions there were not exactly - eh - helpful, in my opinion obviously.

I hope we're not going to go down that route in this forum too?

ah no offence intended , just trying to lighten the mood, life can be a bit serious, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I didnt head to it either. I went in 2015, 2016 and 2017 but it was just getting progressively messier and messier. Qing for ages for a drink and people falling around the place like zombies. Obviously that was only a small section but it was like playing frogger trying not to bump into drunk and drugged up people.

Anyway I hope people had a good time at it? Where any of the club nights good?

Any suggestions

Did you venture out in Dublin hedgelayer?

As this thread seems very Dublin-centric I just thought I might post from the perspective as a gay Irish man who lives in another country on the off chance that anyone is interested.

I haven't lived in Ireland for the last 15 years so "Pride" wasn't really a thing in my time btw.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I think the whole thing has been hijacked by corporate sponsors and alt-left and alt-right protestors with an agenda bearing very little in common with LGBT rights. I certainly agree that some issues deserve to be highlighted, I just don't think that what used to be a protest against LGBT discrimination and violent bullying is the correct platform.

Since leaving Ireland I have lived in Germany and Israel where pride is a wonderful celebration of equal rights and tolerance. At the moment I now live in London where the LGBT Pride march is a demonstration dominated by straight people advertising a certain brand of vodka, a certain political party, lecturing me on what my opinion of muslims who'd like to murder me and my partner is supposed to be, participation in air travel, etc etc.

Sorry I don't mean to be deliberately negative, but the whole thing sounds a bit like advertising Christmas in October to me, the actual "gay" part in gay pride went out the window years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Me. Find the whole thing cringe as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I won't be attending pride for much the same reasons as your self OP. I find pride a bit over the top for my taste and I felt misplaced the one time I did go. To each their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was in Berlin over the weekend, I didn't realise that Pride was on when I made my plans, I was there to catch up with my Australian cousin who is travelling around Europe at the moment, she was more enthusiastic about being there for Pride than I was, I watched the parade for about an hour and had enough, it seemed that 2/3rds of those marching were very young women many of whom were not gay, what's all that about? There was also far too much alcohol in evidence.

Seamai wrote: »
    I was in Berlin over the weekend, I didn't realise that Pride was on when I made my plans, I was there to catch up with my Australian cousin who is travelling around Europe at the moment, she was more enthusiastic about being there for Pride than I was, I watched the parade for about an hour and had enough, it seemed that 2/3rds of those marching were very young women many of whom were not gay, what's all that about? There was also far too much alcohol in evidence.

I don't know what the young girls thing was about.
    Young people can take on causes? maybe.

Overall it sets the question what is the purpose of a pride parade.
    Is it a statement of expression, defiance, a collaboration.....

Advertisement