Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Query - Split off from 999 Thread

Options
  • 18-12-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

that brings up a question..something I have always wondered..
    If I was looking for some info on joining GS,would I be able to call into my local station and ask to speak to someone or would I be told look up the website and/or they would give a PR recruitment leaflet?I always wanted to know...

Thankfully,I have found out a lot of info over the past year or so,so im ok..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

eroo wrote: »
    If I was looking for some info on joining GS,would I be able to call into my local station and ask to speak to someone or would I be told look up the website and/or they would give a PR recruitment leaflet?I always wanted to know...

not been smart or anything. but what does GS stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Garda Siochana

112 FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

All the bigger stations (24hr) should have a recruitment leaflet in the public office. They now come in different languages too. You could also ask to speak with any available guards, most if not too busy, would be glad to answer any of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

All very helpful, but eroo, that's very off topic, and you should start a new thread or use an existing appropriate one for queries of this sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

sorry civdef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I always thought the lack of availability of pamphlets/recruitment brochures and general info on training, was a major flaw of the Garda. When I was at secondary school there was none of the above, nor was there a Garda website.

Today the situation hasn't really changed much, there is still a distinct lack of officially sanctioned information in the public domain, and the Garda website is basic and dull. The only information that might be of any use to potential recruits is derived from public forums like this one.

I do remember sometime in the early 90s (I think it was) an RTE programme called 'Recruits' that followed a bunch of students through Templemore. I've never seen hide nor hair of that series since. Similarly the only interesting book I've read is this.....written by someone who had fallen out with the management no less.

If you look at the UK police in comparison there is a wealth of information available on police careers, you can spend all day everyday watching shows like (the awful) Streetcrime UK because the job wants to be seen to be transparent. Not so the Guards.

ya,the Garda website could seriously do with some modernisation...its about as modern as my schol's website...

Has anyone ever went in and asked to talk to someone?Several Gardai in the past have given me there names and said i could come in to them if i had any q's...but I always forget their names

but,to be fair,things are getting better...career night last year was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Like a lot of public sector jobs back in the day, there was never a need for much in the way of promotional brochures for the Gardai as the number of applicants always far outstripped the available positions. Once you applied for the job, they sent you all the info out in the post.

There's been a couple of books written about the Gardai, I remember coming across one which was a collection of interviews & anecdotes from serving members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

ya,the Garda website could seriously do with some modernisation...its about as modern as my schol's website...

Has anyone ever went in and asked to talk to someone?Several Gardai in the past have given me there names and said i could come in to them if i had any q's...but I always forget their names

but,to be fair,things are getting better...career night last year was great!

ya shud of just asked in the main garda thread...waste of a thread :rolleyes:

Celtic07 wrote: »

i didn't make this thread,a mod did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

metman wrote: »

I do remember sometime in the early 90s (I think it was) an RTE programme called 'Recruits' that followed a bunch of students through Templemore. I've never seen hide nor hair of that series since.

If you really wanted to you will find the episodes of the Recruit in the garda college library. We had a great laugh to viewing them. I think it may have been the 80's tbh. The cars and hairstyles were pretty awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Celtic07 wrote: »

Main Garda thread is getting messy as it is

Advertisement