Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs that could be improved with better production/instrumentation

Options
  • 25-08-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I have been listening to some Labi Siffre lately. I really like many of his songs but can't help feel songs like "(Something Inside) So Strong" could have sounded so much better and aged better without the cheap sounding keyboard intro. A great song still, but the keyboard part sounds like a preset on an entry model.

Anybody agree, disagree?

Other songs that could have been much better with better instrumentation/production?

I know Rick Rubin got a lot of flak for his Californication production by RHCP. Loudness war/overcompression, but I don't know if this is just a purist view or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

For the most part I'd disagree. Admitedly there are recordings that don't stand up too well because they were done with new technology (at the time) and people hadn't adjusted to those sounds, while musicians / engineers / producers were still learning how to use them. It doesn't take them away from what was relative at the time though. It's a bit unfair to judge music harshly 30 years on and compare it to a modern standard.

The main reason I'd disagree though, is because of Tina Turner. This wasn't just done with presets, but a standard soundfont that can be found on any midi device. The only thing tracked on it was vocals, guitars and Saxohpone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The production on the first Smiths album is terrible.
    It was described as "elephant ear" at the time.
    Very apt.

Advertisement