Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 politicians need 17 Special Advisors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KiKi III wrote: »
    That's just not true.

It's pretty important for someone who has massive responsibilities to have advisors. This is such a non-story.

They're basically employing their mates on exorbitant salaries are our expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Who’s to say they’re not?

Well allot of the decisions being made would make one wonder if the advice behind them was any good !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think many people understand the role of the civil service: to enact and develop the policies they are told to develop. Special Advisors develop policy in line with their bosses goals, So a SPAD would develop say a broad housing strategy, the main ideas. For this example we will say a massive state house building programme. The Civil Service will take that policy and refine it, costing it, identifying opportunity sites and try to fully flesh out the consequences of said policy. A fully worked through policy paper is bought back to the Minister and SPAD to see if it then meets their political needs. If it does and gets the go ahead it gets put into motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Who’s to say they’re not?

Me. They are made up of cronies and jurnos. Maybe I missed where these posts were advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think many people understand the role of the civil service: to enact and develop the policies they are told to develop. Special Advisors develop policy in line with their bosses goals, So a SPAD would develop say a broad housing strategy, the main ideas. For this example we will say a massive state house building programme. The Civil Service will take that policy and refine it, costing it, identifying opportunity sites and try to fully flesh out the consequences of said policy. A fully worked through policy paper is bought back to the Minister and SPAD to see if it then meets their political needs. If it does and gets the go ahead it gets put into motion.

So what is wrong with the senior civil servants like all the Assistant Sec Generals developing that broad policy and then it gets fleshed out further by the Principal Officers and those below them? Thats the way it was done for decades before we ever had mention of SPADS, something that really just came along with FF during the Tiger years, aka jobs for the boys.

Plus Im not buying the idea that a print journalsit who gets a SPAD role suddenly overnight becomes some sort of public policy expert, especially not compared to senior civil servants who have decades of experience in that role. Who would you employ, the guy with 20 years experience in that domain or the guy with not a single days experience?

And from a management point of view having a SPAD to develop a broad policy every 4 or 5 years isnt good long term practice because the policy lurches from A to B to C with every change of Govt or even SPADs themselves. This has been already recognised with the management of the HSE, Ministers would come and go, tinker around the edges and on it goes with no tangible improvements ever being delivered. Its the whole reason why we are going for Slaintecare so we can have an all party agreed long term health plan that transcends the whims of Ministers and their SPADs.

Its the same in Premier League football these days. Club have long recognised that managers come and go every 18 months or two years on average. So instead of rebuilding an entire team every two years they now have a long term Director of Football in place. He buys specific types of players according to the clubs long term strategy. If and when the manager gets sacked the long term strategy continues on with the next manager, over seen by the Director of Football. This avoids a new manager coming in and wanting to sell half the squad and replace them with his own players as what used to go on. And then he would be sacked two years later and the next manager would want his own players. Millions got wasted by doing it this way.

• Advertisement

These people are making the most important decisions in the country that will effect your lives in every single way.

Don’t you want them to have good advisors around them?

Yes, I do. But any CEO I have worked for built a team - the Taoiseach has a team, it’s called (wait for it, wait for it......) a whole plethora of Ministers and Super Junior Ministers and super duper Ministers and a parliamentary Party of TDs, plus he has the Civil Service, who have distinct areas of expertise, Aides de Camp, and if they want some sort of counsellor or sage, maybe that’s OK, too.

But 5 to 6 advisors??? On top of all the other people? They won’t be able to agree bugger all, there’s too many of them.

They’ve been watching too many episodes of the West Wing, and getting “notions”. This is an open, small island economy. Get a grip lads and start to show some bleedin’ leadership.

Oh, I feel better now...

SPAD = a railway safety incident. Signal Passed At Danger. How apt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That's just not true.

It's pretty important for someone who has massive responsibilities to have advisors. This is such a non-story.

If they were paying for their own advisors out of their own pockets then this would be a non-story, BUT we're on the hook for all these advisors so yes we have the right to complain about the excessive waste of money.

Even Chavez and his cronies were honest politicians compared to the crooks and chancers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If you need that many advisors then you are clearly unqualified for your position.

And that is it in a nutshell. We are governed by a group of chancers who need people to do their job for them. Then they just speak other peoples words and get paid a fortune to do so.

Government now makes the decision to hire a further 10 special adivsors for junior and 'super-junior' ministers. The gravy train rolls on, expect more journalists to show up in these roles
    The Cabinet has agreed to appoint of 10 new advisers for junior ministers after they “made the case” for the appointments.

Previously, Ministers of State were told that they would have to share a pool of advisers, which caused consternation amongst some.

Sources say a number of junior ministers “made the case” for the hiring of extra advisers and there is now an agreement to hire 10 such staff.

They are: Minister of State for Older People and Mental Health Mary Butler; Minister of State for Disability Anne Rabbitte; Minister of State for European Affairs Thomas Byrne; Minister of State at the Department of Finance Sean Fleming and Minister of State for the Office of Public Works (OPW) Patrick O’Donovan.
    Minister of State for European Affairs Thomas Byrne

Also getting advisers are: Minister of State for Special Education and Inclusion Josepha Madigan; Minister of State for Employment Affairs and Retail Businesses Damien English; Minister of State for Research and Development Martin Heydon; Minister of State for Heritage and Electoral Reform Malcolm Noonan and Minister of State for Community Development and Charities Joe O’Brien.

The pay for special advisers is between €87,325 and € 101,114 for those who work with senior and “super-junior” Ministers who attend Cabinet, and between €67,659 and €78,816 for advisers to Ministers of State.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ten-new-advisers-to-junior-ministers-to-be-appointed-despite-previous-government-decision-1.4361444

• Advertisement

Government now makes the decision to hire a further 10 special adivsors for junior and 'super-junior' ministers. The gravy train rolls on, expect more journalists to show up in these roles
    The Cabinet has agreed to appoint of 10 new advisers for junior ministers after they “made the case” for the appointments.

Previously, Ministers of State were told that they would have to share a pool of advisers, which caused consternation amongst some.

Sources say a number of junior ministers “made the case” for the hiring of extra advisers and there is now an agreement to hire 10 such staff.

They are: Minister of State for Older People and Mental Health Mary Butler; Minister of State for Disability Anne Rabbitte; Minister of State for European Affairs Thomas Byrne; Minister of State at the Department of Finance Sean Fleming and Minister of State for the Office of Public Works (OPW) Patrick O’Donovan.
    Minister of State for European Affairs Thomas Byrne

Also getting advisers are: Minister of State for Special Education and Inclusion Josepha Madigan; Minister of State for Employment Affairs and Retail Businesses Damien English; Minister of State for Research and Development Martin Heydon; Minister of State for Heritage and Electoral Reform Malcolm Noonan and Minister of State for Community Development and Charities Joe O’Brien.

The pay for special advisers is between €87,325 and € 101,114 for those who work with senior and “super-junior” Ministers who attend Cabinet, and between €67,659 and €78,816 for advisers to Ministers of State.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ten-new-advisers-to-junior-ministers-to-be-appointed-despite-previous-government-decision-1.4361444

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Muahahaha wrote: »

Why not get rid of the junior and super junior ministers and replace them with the advisors? Save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

These people are making the most important decisions in the country that will effect your lives in every single way.

Don’t you want them to have good advisors around them?

Have had cause to brush up against a few members of this curious guild of super-duper policy Svengalis in the past.

My honest take: some of them would appear to have their head screwed on and have a genuine interest and aptitude for whatever department their minister works in - but they would be very much in the minority.

The majority are party flunkies, journos taken out of the press-pool to keep bad news away / explain it away or mates of mates. No particular expertise in anything required or expected. I don't think it's exaggeration to say a lot of them are less than useless and their job could and should be done by experienced senior civil servants.

It's a jobs scheme for those in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should have a Minister of State for screwing the taxpayer as well.

All this coming at the same time when TDs are getting a pay rise.

And politicians tell us they aren't in it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Makes my blood boil this disgraceful waste of tax payers money. If their not up to the job and some clearly not, remove them instead of appointing advisors to show them what to do, it's just ludicrous, as bad a Leo & his Aide De camp and Coveneys hypocrisy re his Merc and percs. Next week TD'S get their payrise also

All this one the week they reduce PUP Payments and Intriguingly the Department of SW seem to have forgotten the payment is a week in arrears, meaning they took money from receiptients a week early based on their own information. Not a mention of this in any media or for that matter the Dail. Absolutely outrageous, where in this Together my H@LE

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Makes my blood boil this disgraceful waste of tax payers money. If their not up to the job and some clearly not, remove them instead of appointing advisors to show them what to do, it's just ludicrous, as bad a Leo & his Aide De camp and Coveneys hypocrisy re his Merc and percs. Next week TD'S get their payrise also

Remove Ministers how exactly?
    All this one the week they reduce PUP Payments and Intriguingly the Department of SW seem to have forgotten the payment is a week in arrears, meaning they took money from receiptients a week early based on their own information. Not a mention of this in any media or for that matter the Dail. Absolutely outrageous, where in this Together my H@LE

****ing bull****, no mention of this in the media or Dail? Seriously? Maybe inform yourself a wee bit first

Remove Ministers how exactly?

****ing bull****, no mention of this in the media or Dail? Seriously? Maybe inform yourself a wee bit first

Clearly your missing my point on advisors, the need for them and indeed the need for super junior ministers, even the discription absurd. Are you actually in favor of special advisors? Seriously?

Re my point about PUP and the point I raised, clearly you don't follow leaders questions, I am 100% correct, absolutely zero mention that a government department (SW) incorrectly reduced pup payments a week early. The payment is paid a week in arrears and this weeks payment was actually for the week previous. Reduction was to come into force from the 17th September, PUP payment is from Friday to Thursday so perhaps this might help you do the maths, it's not terribly difficult if you are actually fully informed.

Now its come out that there will be a total of 64 advisers to government at a cost of 15 million. Plus initially it was said Eamon Ryan was to get 5 advisers but now he has ended up with eight of them
    Over €15m will be spent on paying the wages of more than 60 political and media advisors over the course of this Government.
    The 64 advisers will be employed at a cost of over €3m per year, slightly more than the last Government. This includes 10 advisors who will work for junior ministers after the Cabinet's controversial approval of the posts this week.
    The pay figure does not include pension contributions or any other benefits.
    The highest-paid advisors will be in Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar's offices, with chiefs of staff each paid on the deputy secretary pay scale, which is set at €171,263.
    The three Government leaders have employed an unpreceded number of aides and advisers, with Mr Martin and Mr Varadkar appointing six each and Green Party leader Eamon Ryan taking on eight.
    This does not include the Government's press secretary and two deputy press secretaries, who are also political appointments.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40055195.html

64 advisers on huge salaries for the government. You would wonder why are we paying politicians at all if they need an army of advisors to make decisions for them.

Now its come out that there will be a total of 64 advisers to government at a cost of 15 million. Plus initially it was said Eamon Ryan was to get 5 advisers but now he has ended up with eight of them

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40055195.html

64 advisers on huge salaries for the government. You would wonder why are we paying politicians at all if they need an army of advisors to make decisions for them.

It's just disgusting, country falling apart, 400k either unemployed or on PUP, No reliable figures on EWSS but even that cut, businesses opening and closing and Covid cases up. Its just appalling advisors needed to advise ministers how to do their F@€KING jobs, and let's not forget the arrogance of Leo and his Aide De Camp and Coveneys Mercs and percs. Where in this Together my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Clearly your missing my point on advisors, the need for them and indeed the need for super junior ministers, even the discription absurd. Are you actually in favor of special advisors? Seriously?

Ah yes, ignore my question which was how to remove Ministers? I didnt offer any view on actual advisors but fwiw yes i am in favour though the numbers at presnet are way too many
    my point about PUP and the point I raised, clearly you don't follow leaders questions, I am 100% correct, absolutely zero mention that a government department (SW) incorrectly reduced pup payments a week early. The payment is paid a week in arrears and this weeks payment was actually for the week previous. Reduction was to come into force from the 17th September, PUP payment is from Friday to Thursday so perhaps this might help you do the maths, it's not terribly difficult if you are actually fully informed.

My apologies, i thought you were referring to the PUP payments issue in general, not being mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Enjoy.

Fionnan Sheahan on the story of the Special Advisor who wants expenses for working from Galway when he should only have been working from Gov buildings in the first place.
    https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-curious-case-of-the-ministerial-adviser-and-his-expenses-claim-casts-a-shadow-over-political-appointees-39563858.html

Full Article
    'The role of special adviser to a minister of state is in respect of that minister's role in the department and not in respect of their role as a TD representing their constituency."

The blindingly obvious statement on the work of a politically appointed special adviser had to be laid out in a ruling of the labour disputes watchdog last year.

An adviser to a junior minister claimed he was based in the minister's constituency office in a rural location, rather than the Dublin-based department.

The adviser wanted expenses for travelling to Dublin when the minister was in the Dáil. The department concerned told the adviser his office was in Dublin, along with the headquarters of the minister

The case ended up in the Workplace Relations Commission last year, which backed the department's view. However, the details disclosed did raise questions about the role of advisers to junior ministers.

The unnamed adviser, whose identity is discernible from the ruling, told the WRC he "works primarily from the minister's constituency office" and "never works" from the department.

The adviser claimed his job was "largely a political role and the HQ of any adviser depends entirely on the constituency location of that minister".

In the days before Covid-19, remote working was something of an anomaly. How exactly an adviser could co-­ordinate with officials without ever working from the minister's department is something of a mystery. The evidence suggested the focus of the minister was more on the parish pump than national policy.

The curious case casts a shadow over the appointment of political advisers.

While the roles of press and policy advisers to Cabinet minister are quite clear, the job of an adviser to a junior minister is somewhat more enigmatic, to say the least.

After much flapping about, the Government this week approved the appointment of 10 special advisers to the remaining 17 ministers of state who don't sit at Cabinet.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin had suggested all the juniors would be entitled to advisers. Then there was a suggestion the junior ministers would share from a pool of advisers.

Eventually, the juniors had to make an individual case to justify the cost of getting an adviser. Ultimately, it became a carve-up as Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael got four advisers each and the Green Party two.

The role of advisers is to keep their political masters out of trouble. With that in mind, it's unclear why nobody spotted that it wasn't the brightest idea to table the appointments on the same day that the Pandemic Unemployment ­Payment was being cut.

The optics were bad for the Government - again. Once more, the Coalition was smeared by a self-inflicted 'Mercs and perks' farrago.

Figures from the Department of Public Expenditure show the previous Fine Gael-Independent minority administration had 58 special advisers at a cost of just under €5m a year.

The indications so far are that the new government will certainly match, if not surpass, this number.

Political advisers can be worth their weight in gold to their minister.

Given their access and influence, the right policy adviser to a Cabinet minister can be more powerful than even a junior minister.

Likewise, the wrong person can be costly. Bad appointments have been linked to the demise of more than a few ministerial careers.

The focus on press advisers due to the appointment of some well-known journalists often misses the point. The role of policy adviser is vastly more important as they are in the loop on the formulation of actions and legislation.

Aside from generally watching their minister's back and providing advice, advisers have a direct input into the government agenda on Cabinet. They also help shape their minister's view on colleagues' proposals by providing relevant observations on proposals going through the system and memos going to Cabinet for decision-making.

Spotting the problems before they hit, advisers will also liaise with their counterparts to get initiatives across the line. Feeding up the line, they also ensure the Taoiseach and party leaders are kept abreast of what's happening and there are no surprises.

The wheels can be greased far more effectively than by relying on the public sector's procedures. Political advisers can step into areas where civil servants simply cannot. Anybody suggesting advisers are not a necessary part of the system is just being naive,

Often operating in the absence of delegated responsibilities, a junior minister's precise role beyond the title can often be vague. Similar sentiments can be applied to what their adviser is in charge of. Again, though, a good adviser will find the space to operate.

However, there are others who, by accident or design, will simply get drawn into ­constituency work.

When asked why she was getting an adviser, Minister for Disability Anne Rabbitte said she didn't have the "skill set" to deliver what needs to be done. She must be hiring someone quite impressive in that case.

Ah yes, ignore my question which was how to remove Ministers? I didnt offer any view on actual advisors but fwiw yes i am in favour though the numbers at presnet are way too many

My apologies, i thought you were referring to the PUP payments issue in general, not being mentioned

No problem at all, I'm just disgusted at what's going on generally with seemingly zero plan in place, just adhoc close here, restrict there, just crazy and draining at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Yurt! wrote: »
    The majority are party flunkies, journos taken out of the press-pool to keep bad news away / explain it away or mates of mates

AKA the Health ministers new advisor who's a former journalist and PR who tried to tell the media exactly what questions they are only allowed to the ask the minister and tried shut down any questions regarding the Golfgate

https://mobile.twitter.com/caulmick/status/1296856748486254592

Luckily they weren't having it from their former "colleague"

AKA the Health ministers new advisor who's a former journalist and PR who tried to tell the media exactly what questions they are only allowed to the ask the minister and tried shut down any questions regarding the Golfgate

https://mobile.twitter.com/caulmick/status/1296856748486254592

Luckily they weren't having it from their former "colleague"

I remember that specifically, a few weeks ago. I thought it was very very odd at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Following from Kinvaros thread on journalists leaving the profession to become special advisers to government ministers
    It has come out that Michael Martinn, Leo Varadkar and Catherine Martin will be hiring a total of 17 different special advisors between them. Martin has said he needs six people to advise him, he will be appointing a Chief of Staff, a deputy Chief of Staff, three Special Advisors and another one to advise him on economic policy. The salary ranges for this lot go from 93k up to 180k and it will be the same in Catherine Martins and Leo Varadkars departments where Martin will get 5 advisors and Leo 6.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/government-party-leaders-to-get-up-to-17-special-advisers-39367377.html

Then the Chief Whip and 15 other ministers get two special advisors each. And then each of the 20 junior ministerw gets one each. All in all we are talking somewhere in the region of 65 special advisors to specially advise the party leaders and ministers. At salaries of up to 180k this is quite the gravy train and its no wonder print journalists have been flocking to these positions.

Im also wondering if the government is paying a small army of special advisors then what are the all the Secretary Generals and Principal Officers in the Civil Service doing. What was their job to research policy and advise Ministers is now being taken over by a bunch of special advisors yet they still have to be paid. This cottage industry is just adding yet another layer of bureaucracy to our civil service. If politicians feel that senior civil servants are not competent enough to advise then they should be reforming the civil service to get competent people in there rather than adding a small army of special advisors with whopping pay cheques for the taxpayer to pick up. Ultimately the taxpayer is paying on the double here.

They have more special advisors than the US president

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agree with pretty much everything in that post but one thing is the 350 PUP payment ended on the the 17th which meant the payment on the 22nd was on the new 300 payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Isn't one of Micheál Martin's special advisors living full time in the Czech Republic? Peter MacDonagh aka "The Child of Prague."

Takes remote working a bit far for someone on North of 100k on the taxpayers dime.

Enjoy.

An adviser to a junior minister claimed he was based in the minister's constituency office in a rural location, rather than the Dublin-based department.

The adviser wanted expenses for travelling to Dublin when the minister was in the Dáil. The department concerned told the adviser his office was in Dublin, along with the headquarters of the minister

The case ended up in the Workplace Relations Commission last year, which backed the department's view. However, the details disclosed did raise questions about the role of advisers to junior ministers.

The unnamed adviser, whose identity is discernible from the ruling, told the WRC he "works primarily from the minister's constituency office" and "never works" from the department.

The adviser claimed his job was "largely a political role and the HQ of any adviser depends entirely on the constituency location of that minister".

In the days before Covid-19, remote working was something of an anomaly. How exactly an adviser could co-­ordinate with officials without ever working from the minister's department is something of a mystery. The evidence suggested the focus of the minister was more on the parish pump than national policy.

Isnt that the crux of the issue, while we are told that the reason these special advisors are needed is to research and give advice to the Minister on public policy the reality is many of them arent doing that at all, their primary goal is to make sure their Minister gets re-elected by doing their constituency work for them. It is pure parish pump stuff and the taxpayer is literally paying these people huge sums of money to give Ministers an advantage over their local political rivals at election time. it also begs the question as to why they get an allowance to pay a constituency secretary in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely crazy. All paid for by the ordinary tax payers.

The mental image I have is greedy pigs gorging at the trough.

Disgusting

• Advertisement

Absolutely crazy. All paid for by the ordinary tax payers.

The mental image I have is greedy pigs gorging at the trough.

Disgusting

64 pigs at the trough to be precise, all gorging on the taxpayers money. 2% payrise for the politicians this week while minimum wage workers get 10 cents.

Advertisement