Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA 2K21 / NBA Live 21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

So lads would you recommend this game? Haven’t played a basketball game in years but I am very interested in this. The graphics on PS5 look unreal.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did you try turning off layup timing? I saw a stream the other night where no lay ups were going in on park and they messed with the settings. Got some then but still missing wide open ones as well.

It think its bugged. I went to 2KU in MyTeam and they were going in. The indicator would shoot up and you release in the middle.

I went back to my clip and I'm letting it raise and letting go around the middle and the indicator hyperspeeds and jumps to the end like you never let go off the button and you miss. I've played enough games to know how the lag works and its there as always but the way that jumps for the two layups in the clip(the second was half contested but the indicator hypersped to the end when passing the middle).

As i said, i didnt notice it playing MyPlayer games so it may be a bug limited to MyTeam or 5v5 but its a gamebreaker.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiQLJVm_b_OLgV9aILaZECNm8w8v

Thats the clip there. You can see the indicator hyperskip to the end and that happened EVERY time i shot.
    I had no idea what was happening but i wasnt holding the button long and it was doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Same thing happened Agent00 but was in park. He kept pointing out the meter would just max out on it's own.

As stupid as it looked (missed layups), this makes me want to buy it next week.

I'm getting demons souls on launch but haven't decided between this and Miles Morales to go with it.

I'm still totally on the fence with this. I read there are unskippable Gatorade timouts or making you wait a certain time to skip. I get they love money but we finally have super fast ssd and they're still making us wait just to get their sponsor money.

Then i watch a Smoove video and really want to play it but then remember smoove stats at an 85 which would cost me 50 quid in vc and my starting 65 guy wouldn't be much fun to play.

Basically, anytime i see a video of it, i equally hate and love what I'm seeing :(

• Advertisement

I'm still totally on the fence with this. I read there are unskippable Gatorade timouts or making you wait a certain time to skip. I get they love money but we finally have super fast ssd and they're still making us wait just to get their sponsor money.

Then i watch a Smoove video and really want to play it but then remember smoove stats at an 85 which would cost me 50 quid in vc and my starting 65 guy wouldn't be much fun to play.

Basically, anytime i see a video of it, i equally hate and love what I'm seeing :(

I restarted with a PG as i saw the career changes after the second game, and you can't skip the timeouts in college... same as last year it takes a few seconds.

Takes a few seconds before you can skip. I wouldnt worry too much about the VC tbh, unless you're playing online its much muchness. I was hitting jumpers fine with my PG and he only had 2k put into him before i started.

The badges are the main thing and you can't buy them or get them any quicker.

Tbh i wouldn't be concerned about timeouts or the VC the real issue is the shooting/lay ups.

In my last game i decided to use the aiming on jumpers, i made 3 from 4 and had three greens i think. I used the button for pull ups, i don't think i could get used to pulling up and using the aiming so in might try the aiming for spot ups alone.

Well that sounds alright. As much as i love the sound of park, it's 99% a bag experience for me so i don't know why i bother with it. Saying that, I've been playing less and less the last 3 years, played very little of it last year. I think it was 14,15 or 16 that we had great games in park with some lads on Boards, definitely elevated the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Disappointing you're still forced to sit through x amount of time so they can get their sponsors out there. Annoys the hell outta me having to wait. I want to play the game, not watch an in-game cut scene where nothing actually happens. I know it's only a few seconds, but it's a few seconds up to 12 times a game. Or interspersed with 'Let's look what's on the upcoming schedule for [the team you are playing against]. I DON'T CARE!!! I don't even care when they do it for my own team, because I can see that on the list before I start a game.

Immersion is one thing, annoyance is what it ends up as, especially if you're like me and play full games and every game.

I played my first game in the city.

Ive never experienced button delay like it. It was 3 times worse than it used to be. There was one possession the shot clock was at 3 and i tried to move towards the basket to rebound and i couldn't even move to where i wanted in the 3 seconds.

The picture never lagged it was just the button delay was ridiculous.

The PG on the other team shot 6:7 3 balls so its not the same for everyone.

Im wired and usually have the best connection when we play CoD, BF etc so its not my connection but my location.
    Servers must be in western Alaska... and thats why you shouldn't bother about VC as you'll end up just playing the AI anyway.

Park has always been laggy for me, i refuse to shoot, even wife open shots make me hesitate, definitely American servers causing problems for the rest of us. Especially with their Bollox of quiz's with prizes for a few hours in the middle of the night. I get it's an American sport but even setup one server for Europe.

I think I'm gonna hold off on this. Might get miles Morales next week, clear it and trade it to pick this up, preferable 2nd hand so i avoid giving 2k money, as bad as that sounds. I wouldn't mind buying a bit of VC then.

Have you tried wnba online yet? I can't find any reviews or videos of it and it sounds like it would be a better experience for online.

• Advertisement

Park has always been laggy for me, i refuse to shoot, even wife open shots make me hesitate, definitely American servers causing problems for the rest of us. Especially with their Bollox of quiz's with prizes for a few hours in the middle of the night. I get it's an American sport but even setup one server for Europe.

I think I'm gonna hold off on this. Might get miles Morales next week, clear it and trade it to pick this up, preferable 2nd hand so i avoid giving 2k money, as bad as that sounds. I wouldn't mind buying a bit of VC then.

Have you tried wnba online yet? I can't find any reviews or videos of it and it sounds like it would be a better experience for online.

The button lag was always there but this was way worse and it affected even just moving around.

I didnt play a second game to see is it consistent. Didnt have it in Rookieville.

I didnt check anything about the WNBA tbh.

MyCareer is really hard even with my 85 PF, I started on HOF, dropped it to AS and its still the same.

I'm getting like 4-2-5 maybe per game. Im putting the new VC from my 84 player into the PG so I'll have to just persist with this guys current level. Anyway as I said above. Its really about the badges so he'll get better once I have some.

Ok I've given this a proper play now.

I've had to transition to the shot aiming. Im not sure is it different than the original or second version of the current gen but one version only required the aiming but this next gen version you also need it time it(release or press LT/RT, I'm doing the latter).

It's a lot harder to miss the rim now. I've only missed on two I think and they were cross key dribbles.
    It may have even been the lay ups that made me try it again.

Pros:
    The AI is far better to play. Theres loads of rotations happening which was such a problem with the older games.
    An example being I was near a player under the basket who was guarded. A PG was free at the top of key and he was then mine to take. In previous years the AI would pass and the open shot would be taken.
    As I tried to run to him another player rotated and I rotated to the wing.

After scores the C might take the PF since they're both back and then you switch man.

Its definitely less predictable in regards to that.

The training now gives different drills, it's not 3 v 3 v 3 which you get every time last gen 20 and 21.
    Im getting all sorts of drills.

The weekly training seems easier to get the box jump. I had my first 3* plus ever the is week. Funnily the easiest drill from 20, the hurdles is too hard now. I only got a 2 star with my PF and then the 3 with the PG. I used to get 4 everytime before.

Cons:
    VC seems really dear again. My PG after going through the career G league and 1 NBA game is still a 67. If I get 1,200 after a game, one slot into my 64 dribbling is like 700VC.
    It's a slog improving your player now. I pumped all the VC into my PF and most of the VC since has gone into the PG and hes still terrible at everything.

No wheel spin and the new thing seems to give max 3 per category. I was getting 15+ often on last gen.

Being forced off X shooting isnt a good move. I saw a guy in a park game shoot 7:9 dribble 3s so its not going to change much in terms of what issues the game had.

Overall it is fairly good. I was able to stomach one game per day off the last gen as it was the same as 20, which was nearly the same as 19 etc but the improved AI in some instances gives the games more of an organic feel.

Good to hear, thanks man. Picked it up today, just gave it a quick spin and made My Team, will give it a proper spin later tonight.

For anyone on my team, this is a great link to locker codes to build out your team.

https://www.2klockercode.com/

For anyone on my team, this is a great link to locker codes to build out your team.

https://www.2klockercode.com/

I'd like to try it again but if I cant score open layups again I may destroy my controller :).

In all seriousness I'm not sure would it be any different now I'm back using the analogue. Do you just play the AI?.

I changed to HoF yesterday with my 68 PG. Had to put it back down again as I was literally getting no stats. I didnt realise when I finished the G league intro that it was set to Pro when I started the career(you can't change it in the prologue).

I remember in previous years being able to play HoF off the bat, but its way too hard this year on either gen.
    You won't make any badge upgrades so you'll just stagnate unless you drop it down.

The final nail in the coffin for 21 landed just now. I was able to install 20 on the PS5, it automatically got my last save on PS4, gave me a warning that some things may not work, but I was able to load into MyCareer, play the next game in the schedule, earn VC, and spend it on stat upgrades.

It also loads quicker, and the button mash skip at in game stops is a bit quicker too, and really shows up where the game is deliberately slowed to advertise something.

So this'll keep me going for now, wait till next year for 22 and hope they've lost their horn for VC.

I'd like to try it again but if I cant score open layups again I may destroy my controller :).

In all seriousness I'm not sure would it be any different now I'm back using the analogue. Do you just play the AI?.

I changed to HoF yesterday with my 68 PG. Had to put it back down again as I was literally getting no stats. I didnt realise when I finished the G league intro that it was set to Pro when I started the career(you can't change it in the prologue).

I remember in previous years being able to play HoF off the bat, but its way too hard this year on either gen.
    You won't make any badge upgrades so you'll just stagnate unless you drop it down.

Yeah, mostly against ai in my team, triple threat, nice quick games. Only played 1 game so far and made every layup, even dodgy ones, haven't changed any settings.

The final nail in the coffin for 21 landed just now. I was able to install 20 on the PS5, it automatically got my last save on PS4, gave me a warning that some things may not work, but I was able to load into MyCareer, play the next game in the schedule, earn VC, and spend it on stat upgrades.

It also loads quicker, and the button mash skip at in game stops is a bit quicker too, and really shows up where the game is deliberately slowed to advertise something.

So this'll keep me going for now, wait till next year for 22 and hope they've lost their horn for VC.

HA, the ceo of 2k has a contract clause that sees him get a bonus everytime mtx are sold, VC is here to stay unfortunately.

I've noticed one or two weird issues.

If you take a shot with less than a second left you get a unique animation where your player chucks it quick, not in your jump shot animation and theres no bar... but the issue is that they always seem to go in.
    I dont think I've missed one of them with my 69 point guard.
    Probably needs to be patched.

Another is that sometimes the AI dont foul. I had a game there where they fouled with 5 seconds, down 4 and then just played the time out after the inbound.
    I had another one the last day where I was able to play the clock out.

Probably a few issues like that laying around.

The park is unplayable for me. I've tried three games and they've been way worse than any previous year.
    I did see something mentioned on Reddit so maybe it's not just the ping from Ireland and theres other issues.

Finally started career last night, 6'4 2 way playmaking PG. First cutscene of the story and i already feel like skipping it, it just feels dead. Even with my 65 rated player, absolutely demolished the first team but i guess highschool is supposed to be easy for a future nba star. No idea whether to choose college or g League though when the time comes. Tempted with g League as that was added for next gen.

The gameplay is really smooth, some great animations and superb graphics. I just worry about progression like mentioned above. I have 5000 vc and testing upgrades, brought me to a 67, it costs around 50 euro with of vc to get to 85 but i don't feel the want to do that this year for some reason, i think because i have a few other games to get invested in instead. So will keep tapping away at this, a few games here and there while slowly building up my character. No interest in even trying city yet as my player will be too crap to even make it out of rookieville.

• Advertisement

Finally started career last night, 6'4 2 way playmaking PG. First cutscene of the story and i already feel like skipping it, it just feels dead. Even with my 65 rated player, absolutely demolished the first team but i guess highschool is supposed to be easy for a future nba star. No idea whether to choose college or g League though when the time comes. Tempted with g League as that was added for next gen.

The gameplay is really smooth, some great animations and superb graphics. I just worry about progression like mentioned above. I have 5000 vc and testing upgrades, brought me to a 67, it costs around 50 euro with of vc to get to 85 but i don't feel the want to do that this year for some reason, i think because i have a few other games to get invested in instead. So will keep tapping away at this, a few games here and there while slowly building up my character. No interest in even trying city yet as my player will be too crap to even make it out of rookieville.

The story starts the same. It only breaks off when you decide where to go.

The G league story was good, well by 2k standards. The bus scene and Taco Tuesday were good in a ridiculous way.

A word of warning, if you save a game you were in the middle of, you lose the badge progression for that game.
    I did it twice and twigged the second time thats why it was happening.

Ha thought i was treated 65, actual am 60 and 5k vc got me to 61. Tried City for the laugh, everyone was 80+. Jumped on and and we lost by 8 but i had an A grade with 2 points, 6 assists and 7 rebounds. Missed an open layup which was embarrassing but my stats are shocking to compete with 80+ players. I am 1 bar short of rookie 2 after 1 game so that was alright. As soon as i finished i thought "hhmm should i buy 50 quid with of vc???" Nah but this mode is setup specifically to make you feel/play bad and be outcast if you don't insta boost. I should have gotten mamba edition but my local GS only for 1 copy in anyway so feck it. Back to highschool.

Gimme a shout if anyone wants a game on PS5.

There was an update yesterday. So the extra bad lag in the park is gone now.

I haven't had any jump shots to try it out as I used my PF but I changed the lay up settings to no timing or aiming.
    Seemed to work fine and I didnt miss anything. I might move that back to timing but if theres button delay playing from Ireland maybe it makes sense to disperse from using any timing controls.

As much as I hate using settings like that, theres no point if you're fighting against button delay as its hard enough as it is.

I'll try some jumpers and if they're off, I'll do something similar for jump shots when I take my PG online.

I'd love to see some bare figures for using each setting.
    The timing isn't a problem from a set shot but I find it hard to keep it in the white zone for moving shots.
    I also find at times I can do a dribble when trying to do a fake which can lead to stepping out.

I noticed Smoove was just using buttons in the Rec and he didn't seem to be handicapped. Then again, his online games seem to play like CPU games for me, he's getting greens easily.

I do find that there were some layups I've got that I nailed that I may not had I not being using the aiming/timing option, but I cant say the same for jumpers though my stats aren't great yet(plus badges are low).

One thing that I find frustrating this version is on a fast break the PG will stand and wait for the ball, even as you cross half court with it.
    Im not sure why they added this in but it doesnt make sense to pass the ball to the PG for every single rebound. I have to activate a PnR to get him to move up court.

I'm enjoying the G league route and playing with all the old characters. Thought I'd hate them but already makes it feel like we have history even if our chemistry isn't the best yet. The only thing is my 63 rated PG is ****, each game is a struggle with low ball handling and speed but gonna plough on.

Have to say though, I'm very happy with my Cobra Kai My Team.

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1331910896650760196

I'm only on game 4 of g League (bouncing between multiple games) but I'm not enjoying my playtime with it cuz my player is so crap. I load it up, use some locker codes for my team, maybe a quick game of the 3 on 3 and then career mode. Hobble up and down the court, miss wide open mid's, get exhausted after attempting a crossover and my teammates miss everything i give them. Finale the game with just the feeling of "i didn't really enjoy that" and load up a different game. I don't have the time to grind it and upgrade my player and I'm not paying 50 euro to get to 85.

Also, i just saw i only have 1 defensive badge so I'll never go higher than bronze clamps which is a bollox.

I'm 50/50 on selling it and picking it up again when it's on sale or if the mamba edition goes on sale, might be tempting to pick that up.

Might create a new character, try a different build of PG, see if there is a recommendation for good slasher build online.

I looked up a slasher pg build and after skipping over a few YouTube c*nts, i found one brilliant one. Changed my guy from a 6'4 to 6'5 and wingspan 6'5 to 6'10. Then some changes to just 3 or 4 attributes has unlocked way more badges for me across the board, much better build. I still need to fill him out now to 85 but glad i didn't pump anymore vc into my first build.

Great, sounds like one needs a degree in NBA Builds to be able to get the most from it! Like the FIFA games, I find they're now in the world of being too complicated to enjoy. Has anyone tried the 3on3 F2P game? It looks fun, but worried it's pay to win.

Great, sounds like one needs a degree in NBA Builds to be able to get the most from it! Like the FIFA games, I find they're now in the world of being too complicated to enjoy. Has anyone tried the 3on3 F2P game? It looks fun, but worried it's pay to win.

Sure you can pay a subscription to 2K Labs who can create a build for you ffs. I tried 3v3 few years back, fairly shyte but it's free so give it a go.

Sure you can pay a subscription to 2K Labs who can create a build for you ffs. I

Ah Jesus! They'll monitise anything them 2K lads.

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus! They'll monitise anything them 2K lads.

Nothing to do with 2k, just a bunch of lads who go digging through all the builds and badges so you don't have to... And people throw money at them :D

Advertisement