Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing tiles from plasterboard

Options
  • 18-09-2020 6:00pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re considering tiling our kitchen above the countertops and underneath the units. Walls are plasterboard.

If we go ahead, how much of a bollocks will it be to replace them in future? Will removing them destroy the wall requiring the plasterboard and all the sockets etc to be redone?

I’m asking cause can’t decide whether to go with someone boring and safe that’ll always look ok, or be more daring with something that may date and we’d want replacing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

awec wrote: »
    We’re considering tiling our kitchen above the countertops and underneath the units. Walls are plasterboard.

If we go ahead, how much of a bollocks will it be to replace them in future? Will removing them destroy the wall requiring the plasterboard and all the sockets etc to be redone?

I’m asking cause can’t decide whether to go with someone boring and safe that’ll always look ok, or be more daring with something that may date and we’d want replacing.

It is impossible to remove them and retain the plasterboard. I ended up removing the plasterboard fully and reslabbing.... But that isn't a huge job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is impossible to remove them and retain the plasterboard. I ended up removing the plasterboard fully and reslabbing.... But that isn't a huge job to do.

+1

If they’re put on right then the slab will come with it when removing

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Slabbing? You mean the skim coat?

My walls aren’t skimmed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The plasterboard will tear.

You need to replace the plasterboard.

Same for floor tiles on plywood (e.g. over a wooden floor), though that's a lot less invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just screw some 6mm ply to the slab and tile onto that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just cut plasterboard to size.

Spray plasterboard foam to the back of it. Stick to wall.

Then tile.

No mixing to dot and dab no timber. Simple spray stick done.

Don't get the spray on anything you like though 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Instead of tiles have you thought about glass splashbacks any colour any pattern as i went for red glass splashback and its wipe clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Or you can tile over tile but you will need to get longer screws for the sockets

Thanks all, to be clear I haven't tiled yet.

But it sounds like tiling should be considered a pretty permanent option, or at least if they are removed then the wall will need to be fixed, which may be awkward around the kitchen.

Thanks all, to be clear I haven't tiled yet.

But it sounds like tiling should be considered a pretty permanent option, or at least if they are removed then the wall will need to be fixed, which may be awkward around the kitchen.

The wall may be fine after tiles are removed. You can't know till it's off tbh. You could end up with a wall with some adhesive left on it. Either way there is options to remedy easily enough.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    The wall may be fine after tiles are removed. You can't know till it's off tbh. You could end up with a wall with some adhesive left on it. Either way there is options to remedy easily enough.

It will be far from fine if done properly onto bare slabs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

We don't know what's under there. We are guessing.

We also don't know how good a job was done.

Never equate your own experiences to what you'll find when you start the work ever.

And remember there's always options when you do uncover.

It's gas how absolutist people are having only read details of the problem on a message board. Must get all tradespeople to do their quotes on the internet. :p

listermint wrote: »
    We don't know what's under there. We are guessing.

We also don't know how good a job was done.

Never equate your own experiences to what you'll find when you start the work ever.

And remember there's always options when you do uncover.

It's gas how absolutist people are having only read details of the problem on a message board. Must get all tradespeople to do their quotes on the internet. :p

What are you on about you absolute clown, would you ever read the thread before you go off on one your lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Literally the first sentence :D

I've tiled onto plywood good few times and never had an issue - only thing with that is; for me, i'd want a good few screws in it to keep it stable - which also wont leave your wall in a great state should you want to take it own.... And you'd have to find them all afterwards.

+1 on the glass coloured splash back. For cheaper alternative you can get acrylic ones... but difference is noticeable between that and glass.

If you tile straight on and want to take them down again, at the very least you will need to skim the wall after - if you're lucky

Tiling's for life not just for christmas :)

What are you on about you absolute clown, would you ever read the thread before you go off on one your lectures.

Id write a witty retort to your moronic name calling but il leave you to such childish endeavours 'big man'

you wrote

I replied, We have no idea what its like underneath until he takes it off. So you making statements like it will be far from fine without lifting a tile is a stated above - moronic.

As for lectures. Na buddy il leave that to you.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Literally the first sentence :D

I've tiled onto plywood good few times and never had an issue - only thing with that is; for me, i'd want a good few screws in it to keep it stable - which also wont leave your wall in a great state should you want to take it own.... And you'd have to find them all afterwards.

+1 on the glass coloured splash back. For cheaper alternative you can get acrylic ones... but difference is noticeable between that and glass.

If you tile straight on and want to take them down again, at the very least you will need to skim the wall after - if you're lucky

Tiling's for life not just for christmas :)

Yea this is what I'm thinking. Either we pick tiles that we think won't date, or we accept that we'll probably have to skim afterward, or we need to replace the plasterboard where the tiles were.

Not sure how big a job replacing the plasterboard would be, the current boards obviously go behind the kitchen units, so may be awkward. There's also 1 window area involved.

Thanks all for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I’m presuming this is an existing kitchen with the considered space currently painted.
    If the wall composition currently is plasterboard one suggestion is to cut around the desired area with a multitool. Will make future removal very easy and whole tiled area could be pulled off without any damage to existing board behind countertop or units. If plasterboard is currently dot/dabbed to wall you could pull it off and reslab as there will likely be large voids behind the small area to be tiled, if plasterboard is screwed to a partition you equally pull it off and add additional noggins around permitted to strengthen.
    You'll have to key the painted wall anyway for the adhesive to properly bind so no harm starting with flesh plasterboard, you can buy small 1.2m x 0.6m sheets instead of the usual 2.4m x 1.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yea this is what I'm thinking. Either we pick tiles that we think won't date, or we accept that we'll probably have to skim afterward, or we need to replace the plasterboard where the tiles were.

Not sure how big a job replacing the plasterboard would be, the current boards obviously go behind the kitchen units, so may be awkward. There's also 1 window area involved.

Thanks all for the input.

Tile onto the plasterboard as it is now,
    If and when you decide to remove the tiles down the line,
    just refer back to this thread, all the answers are here.
    Some posters are assuming you're worried about removing tiles
    from plasterboard now, as opposed to sometime in the future, when redecorating.

Advertisement