Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Vinyl Shops

Options
  • 28-08-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Folks,
    I had a quick look but can't see any threads (except very old) on 2nd Vinyl Shops.

Just got back into Vinyl at start of lockdown and have been on a 2nd hand spree online ever since on 1st Records and Discogs.

Just wondering where people are buying 2nd hand vinyl locally, shops, charity shops, markets? Dublin or country wide?

I have been in the obvious Freebird, Spindizzy.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Folks,
    I had a quick look but can't see any threads (except very old) on 2nd Vinyl Shops.

Just got back into Vinyl at start of lockdown and have been on a 2nd hand spree online ever since on 1st Records and Discogs.

Just wondering where people are buying 2nd hand vinyl locally, shops, charity shops, markets? Dublin or country wide?

I have been in the obvious Freebird, Spindizzy.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Bunker Vinyl in Cork.

Lucky dip in some charity / second hand shops too

Beat That Records in Arklow and Harlequin Records in Gorey. Support local Irish business's.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coconnell44

Have only been shopping online since the lockdown. Have moved on to discogs because over grading on eBay is a bloody epidemic. Of the dozen or so LPs that I ordered, half went back. Cnuts. (Not that discogs is always 100% either). I miss Freebird and Spindizzy in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Greek sellers are the worst for over-grading.
    Were late adopters of CD format so lots of rare 90s vinyl ended up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Charity shops in Belfast much better for records. Or were last time I checked.
    Very poor down here; same battered selection in most places and many volunteers don't know how to price the format. 12"s listed for the same price as LPs is one example.
    Occasionally you'll get lucky but would need to be calling in daily / weekly to get the decent finds.

Ireland was a poor country in the '60s and '70s and people played their records hard and often.
    Import tax until early 90s didn't help either. I remember indie 12"s costing an eye-watering £5.99 in 1988/1989
    Markets can be hit and miss.
    Record fairs tend to have the same sellers (some UK who offer sh*t conversion rates).

Recommend saving up and hitting the Utrecht fair (held twice yearly on a Saturday & Sunday). If you pay a bit more, you can get in on the Friday when dealers are setting up. Last time I went I arrived late Thursday, up at 7.00am Friday and spent 3 full days (10/11 hours each time) digging. Knocked a lot off the want list and European sellers have unbelievable selection of 7"s (many with picture sleeves - were plain in UK / Ireland). Portable turntable essential as you will see a lot of records that look interesting but you won't know them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

All City still do second hand records AFAIK. Have you checked out R.A.G.E. on Fade St.?

R.A.G.E has moved to Temple Bar AFAIK.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

R.A.G.E has moved to Temple Bar AFAIK.

I thought I read something about that a while ago. Probably true. I live in Canada an haven't been able to get back this year. Cheers for the heads up for, hopefully, next year.

Advertisement