Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Record Search

• 13-10-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I was wondering if its possible or if anybody knows of a way to trace a death record for a person when you dont know when they died?Im quite confident that I have the correct time period for the death but when I tried to search on Family Search.org, it came back as no results.Ive been quite general with the time frame and have tried searching between the years of 1910 to 1923 but it still comes up with nothing significant. I have gathered a lot of other information about this person but Im at a loss with this part!Does anyone have any tips please?Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

deaths are often the most difficult to find. Besides the name, the only clues in most cases are year of birth (actually reported age at death - not always accurate), and a last known address. The problem is that there is usually just a probable date window for the death, and it is assumed that the person died in the same district they were last living which is not always the case...

What registration district is involved in this case? is this a common name ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dee12_7

From the census I traced a birth year for her to 1871 but I know thats not always a reliable source when it comes to peoples ages but it gives me a general age for her anyway.

On her marriage record her address at the time was Barrackton,Cork and all her children grew up on Old Youghal Road so I would assume she was living within that area at the time of her death as ive been told her daughter was very young when she died and she lived around Old Youghal Road right up until the time she married.

The surname is quite common for the area.Her maiden name was Murphy and her married name was Sheehan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

These are the Sheehan death records I can see on the Index during the dates you mentioned, with the births between 1869 and 1873 - I'd usually suggest a wider range as ages on death certs can be 'off'. As you can see the search can pick up Co. Cork records as well as Cork (city) registration district records.

Sheehan deaths

Unfortunately there's no way to narrow the search, other than purchase the certs.

Don't know the exact address, but there is a registration office in Cork city where you can check actual registers for certain city sub-district - but believe there is an huge waiting list. Something like a year or 18 months last I heard!

Did any of the family move away from the city ?
    If so might be worth checking the areas they lived in case this person was living with them at the time of death. That turned out to be the case for two of my difficult-to-find deaths. Opposite scenario in this case, as they moved from the Bray area to south Dublin to live with a son.

Shane

p.s. just realized your date range for the death starts in 1910... have you not located this Sheehan family on the 1911 return ?

I searched death registers on that site before and found the record which you found for Katie Sheehan but after I purchased the record it turned out that it wasnt who I was looking for as I checked out the obituaries section in the newspaper in the Library and her husband had a different name and came from Kerry.Thats the only record I could find which matched her name within that time frame.

I know that some of her sons moved to England but I dont know if she travelled there herself at any point.She also had a son who moved to Kildare but I dont know if he moved there before or after his mother died.

I found the family on the 1911 census but I know that her daughter was born in 1908 and she died when the daughter was very young so I started the search from 1910.

I havent heard of that registration office where people can search records themselves.Perhaps its connected to the City Archives.Ill have to contact them and ask them.Thanks for that!

Just wanted to say thanks a million to Shane for all the help I received.I looked on one of the links you sent me and found a record I hadn't seen before and ordered it.When it arrived I found it was the record I was searching for for years!I really appreciate all the help you gave me.Thanks again!

Dee

• Advertisement
Advertisement