Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone Mason

• 28-08-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Looking for a good stone mason in or around the Galway area. Around 70-80 square metres in total to be done, I have the stone ready to go.

Has anyone any recommendations? If so please PM. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

What exactly are you planning to do with the stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

JonathonS wrote:
    What exactly are you planning to do with the stone?

Gable of the house and garage and there is a slight wrap around the back corner as well.

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

What is going rate for Sqm these days.

JonathonS wrote:
    PM sent.

HI Jonathan, didn't seem to get any PM?

• Advertisement

DaDerv wrote: »
    HI Jonathan, didn't seem to get any PM?

Hmm, strange :confused:.
    Re-sent, and it has gone this time.

JonathonS wrote:
    Hmm, strange . Re-sent, and it has gone this time.

Sound job, got it this time. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

corco2000 wrote: »
    What is going rate for Sqm these days.

i too wouldn't mind knowing this, getting work done and want to know a guide price so i know i'm not getting ripped off.

if someone could post or pm me the going rate and what it include it would be great.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

i too wouldn't mind knowing this, getting work done and want to know a guide price so i know i'm not getting ripped off.

if someone could post or pm me the going rate and what it include it would be great.

thanks in advance

One needs to find a proper stone Mason who has years if experience of building stone and not just look.for the sq meter price. I've seen it far to often where people think one mason is ripping them off because he's 20euro more for his work per sq meter yet if you put the 2 beside each other, you'll see why the other is 20 euro dearer. You go look at Mason's work and if you like it, you pay him his worth instead of getting a price then going to another to see if he'll beat it. Very good stone Mason's who know the correct stone bonds, mixes are difficult to find. Anyone can throw up stone for 70-100+ euro a sq m however it takes someone with skill to construct something of beauty with stone. Thinking your getting ripped of by a stonemason is a terrible method of choosing someone who could be a master at his trade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

kingbhome wrote: »
    One needs to find a proper stone Mason who has years if experience of building stone and not just look.for the sq meter price. I've seen it far to often where people think one mason is ripping them off because he's 20euro more for his work per sq meter yet if you put the 2 beside each other, you'll see why the other is 20 euro dearer. You go look at Mason's work and if you like it, you pay him his worth instead of getting a price then going to another to see if he'll beat it. Very good stone Mason's who know the correct stone bonds, mixes are difficult to find. Anyone can throw up stone for 70-100+ euro a sq m however it takes someone with skill to construct something of beauty with stone. Thinking your getting ripped of by a stonemason is a terrible method of choosing someone who could be a master at his trade!
    70-100 a square meter is the upper end stone masonry for straight forward work. Arches and reveal details , stepped plinths , all these details will determine
    How much it is per meter. I’ve seen large areas of straight forward stone built for as little as 40 per meter and this lad was fussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

Who2 wrote: »
    70-100 a square meter is the upper end stone masonry for straight forward work. Arches and reveal details , stepped plinths , all these details will determine
    How much it is per meter. I’ve seen large areas of straight forward stone built for as little as 40 per meter and this lad was fussy.

Any man building stone for 40e a Meter should be a shamed of them self, maby at the side of the M50.
    Would u work for 120-160 a day minus tax and holidays and wet time. And we give out about the Foreigners. They wouldn't even do it for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Any man building stone for 40e a Meter should be a shamed of them self, maby at the side of the M50.
    Would u work for 120-160 a day minus tax and holidays and wet time. And we give out about the Foreigners. They wouldn't even do it for that.

I agree completely with you.there is some absolutely attrocious work being done out there the sad thing is most people don't know the difference.there is a company near me that does a lot of work for public sector bodies they use untrained foreign labour I nearly cry everytime I see their work

I wouldn’t work for it and didn’t think it could be done for it, I kept a track of the times lads were there, it was clean regular enough stone good runs with minimal opes. Vat was on top but the lads were working out at just over 200 per day. One foreigner, a couple of northern lads and the rest all Irish. 120 per meter is the most I ever had to give bar one awkward job that nobody would price. It was done on an agreed day rate.

200 a day isn't too bad for it when you consider all the pulling and dragging and hardship thats involved in stonework

bizidea wrote: »
    200 a day isn't too bad for it when you consider all the pulling and dragging and hardship thats involved in stonework

By the time taxes are taken out, insurance and the half days of no work, he won’t be made up. I seen some class stonework recently at 70 a meter. Nice tidy consistent building , good corners and unusually clean running into the windows.
    I know there are a fair few chancer stone masons out there but there is a fair few excellent foreign lads out there, dpc and cold-bridging need to be watched with some of them though.

Ha you definitely have to watch them with the dpc and cold bridging ive seen a few dodgy short cuts taken 70 a metre is alright if you have handy stone to build with but you still would want to be throwing it up

Advertisement