Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Terrible rain here in the north west out all morning lifting lambs
    Have kept them all alive so far it is getting very serious now if the weather does not change soon we will be in serious bother here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Farfield wrote: »
    I'm up north and it's like winter. Cows have been indoors since early September n never out since- don't know what's going on, non stop rain n cold. Things getting desperate.
    Hang on in there. Things change very quickly this time of year and hopefully we will all be posting here in a week asking what we were worried about.

How are you for feed? Post away here, we'll all help each other here either with advice on how to stretch feed or maybe where feed can be found.

We're all in this sh!t together and the lad nearest the agitator slat cover will start to pull the rest of us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Rain cleared on the South coast but wind still going so providing some drying. I reckon land should dry quick enough. Hopefully it drys up further up the country. Heavy land must be in right trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

einn32 wrote: »
    Rain cleared on the South coast but wind still going so providing some drying. I reckon land should dry quick enough. Hopefully it drys up further up the country. Heavy land must be in right trouble.
    A lot of the water on fields this morning seems to have soaked fairly well but the wind is helping alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Clouds rolling back and sunshine in cork now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Clouds rolling back and sunshine in cork now.

Fine shine off the water in the fields alright

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Really lucky here in the midlands, only 5mm rain here in the last 24 hrs, great drying now and temp rising

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Really lucky here in the midlands, only 5mm rain here in the last 24 hrs, great drying now and temp rising

Great drying yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »

Ah feck off....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have you the silage cut yet?

• Advertisement

Have you the silage cut yet?

You lot think I'm messing.
    Second cut yesterday

You lot think I'm messing.
    Second cut yesterday

How much a bale?

How much a bale?

Left the bloody bag off. Could have made a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

screw silage, you should put up tape and strip graze the sh*t out of that lawn and you'd have your own greenfields farm

Dozer1 wrote: »
    screw silage, you should put up tape and strip graze the sh*t out of that lawn and you'd have your own greenfields farm

Land with a slope on it is worth any money this weather.
    I see a farmer near me with browy ground with the cows out again today and grass.
    Everywhere else is flooded out of it.

Dozer1 wrote: »

Mmmmmm tried that but the hope of a future happy marriage stopped that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Land with a slope on it is worth any money this weather.
    I see a farmer near me with browy ground with the cows out again today and grass.
    Everywhere else is flooded out of it.

Still depends on the soil and drainage underneath. Got 2 hill fields here, sandbank underneath but pure clay topsoil, and no real drain cut into it at all over the years. In weather like this it's like a pure ice rink, you will not drive a tractor up it. I could go and spend 10k or so draining it all, however hard to see the roi, and I'm worried as to why nobody has tried to drain it over the years, prb a reason ha?

Anyways 40% through rd2, with about 10% of rd1 still not grazed. (however can still walk across the road to rented land). I'm risking it all now hoping to God the weather settles next week, the alternative is back fulltime on this crap wet 70dmd pit silage ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »

Just under 2 inches of rain fell last night between 8 pm and 8 am...

Land completely saturated ...Heavy rain again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Farfield

My farm TOTALLY saturated as well. It will take at least a week of very dry weather to even think of letting cows out or they will absolutely plough the ground.
    I'm just about ok for silage for another 10 days r so, so things need t improve. We are used to 6 month winters but 8 is just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Timmaay wrote: »
    Still depends on the soil and drainage underneath. Got 2 hill fields here, sandbank underneath but pure clay topsoil, and no real drain cut into it at all over the years. In weather like this it's like a pure ice rink, you will not drive a tractor up it. I could go and spend 10k or so draining it all, however hard to see the roi, and I'm worried as to why nobody has tried to drain it over the years, prb a reason ha?

Anyways 40% through rd2, with about 10% of rd1 still not grazed. (however can still walk across the road to rented land). I'm risking it all now hoping to God the weather settles next week, the alternative is back fulltime on this crap wet 70dmd pit silage ugh.

What sort of covers are you grazing in rd 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Crop farmers must be pulling their hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

you still calving outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

In killarney last night the rain that fell from about five pm to ten o clock this morning was unreal coming home through Mallow the race course all the ground near it was flooded you could see it rising as we were passing at lunch time . Talking to a man and his wife this morning at breakfast in the hotel they never slept all night they are farmers from the midlands worrying about what way things are going to work out the poor man was very stressed she thought if she could get him away the children were home from college he couldn't settle felt sorry for them they were heading home. Take care lads farming is hard enough mentally physical look after the mind soul.

degetme wrote: »
    What sort of covers are you grazing in rd 2?

8/900.

With that land.
    Would a simple thing like a deep plough and reseed help it I wonder? Mix up some of that sand underneath so to speak.
    They probably hadn't got deep ploughs and the tractors to pull them years ago and plus the hill probably goes brown in the dry weather so drainage was never bothered with.

Still have a few days grazing left on the first round but grazed (tossled and mucked with cows bulling) one paddock in the 2nd round as it's a middling dry field and needed to get the cows out of the shed for a bit of a clean up during a wet day.

whelan2 wrote: »
    you still calving outside?

Oh God no! We've had several inches of rain here in the last week, cold also. Thankfully calving slowed down again, only 3 born this week. Lost a 2wk old fr hr to crypto again tho, she drank the evening, next morning panned out flat, I threw everything at her, under heat lamp etc, but dead within 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Desperate rain here over past 24hours can’t see cows getting out again till next week. On a more positive note growth is definitely starting to takeoff, can see things looking a lot better in next week or so

With that land.
    Would a simple thing like a deep plough and reseed help it I wonder? Mix up some of that sand underneath so to speak.
    They probably hadn't got deep ploughs and the tractors to pull them years ago and plus the hill probably goes brown in the dry weather so drainage was never bothered with.

Still have a few days grazing left on the first round but grazed (tossled and mucked with cows bulling) one paddock in the 2nd round as it's a middling dry field and needed to get the cows out of the shed for a bit of a clean up during a wet day.

It's a funny field, really mix of everything, pure clay the bottom (no sand like), big sand bank the middle on the hill, literally 2inchs of topsoil, and then back heavy the top. I'd be very slow to deep plough, I wouldnt even plough it full stop, the 3 or 4acs with 2inches of topsoil would grow utterly nothing afterwards. It only represents 5% of the milking block so I'm happy enough to take the hit and only get 8 grazings a yr against say 10 the rest (in an ideal year!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

This morning was like winter. Cold rain and just miserable. Evening turned out nice and temp up to 13c. U could see grass growing and turning green. ( or mate I'm gone delusional with the hope it is)

• Advertisement

It's a funny field, really mix of everything, pure clay the bottom (no sand like), big sand bank the middle on the hill, literally 2inchs of topsoil, and then back heavy the top. I'd be very slow to deep plough, I wouldnt even plough it full stop, the 3 or 4acs with 2inches of topsoil would grow utterly nothing afterwards. It only represents 5% of the milking block so I'm happy enough to take the hit and only get 8 grazings a yr against say 10 the rest (in an ideal year!)

This might never happen for 10 years in Irish agriculture.
    But it could apply in your case with the 2 inches of topsoil.
    It's a long way from the weather. ;)
    A roadside maintenance company in the UK is spraying on a biochar mixture with grass seed onto road filling in the culverts. It's growing anyway.

SalixRW (@SalixBio) Tweeted:
    Six weeks after using a spray on erosion control blanket with a seed mix including #biochar on the #Norwich Northern Distributor Road swales we had significant plant growth on Type-1 aggregate. There had been zero soil! #bioengineering @TerrAffix https://t.co/we4NLC2Nxv https://twitter.com/SalixBio/status/978915874911465472?s=17

Research would tell you it would be very drought resistant too.

Advertisement