Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV stick as a €25 upgrade to a fairly smart TV

Options
  • 22-10-2019 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just a little thing that people might find handy.
    I have an older 32" tv in the kitchen. Its not a smart TV but it is full HD and has a saorview tuner.

The lady of the house wanted to be able to watch stuff off RTE Player and we figured twould be handy to have youtube available so the kids could leave me have the big tv for a match or whatever...

So I found that you can buy the NowTV stick directly from nowtv online without any packages for €25 euro. (Thats 25 Delivered BTW)

Arrived this morning, plugged it in, did a bit of updating.. and now I have a 'fairly smart' tv... its got RTE Player and Youtube working great off the stick...

Haven't had time to look much more at it yet but it appears to have the Channel 4 player and a few other apps too...

Hope this might be of use to someone lookin for a cheap way to upgrade a telly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does it require a power source - USB cable or DC adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CD keys usually have the passes fairly cheap for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

coylemj wrote: »
    Does it require a power source - USB cable or DC adapter?

Micro USB powered. Will work off TV USB socket or wall wart

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Supermacs are doing some promo with one month codes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NateDogsCats

I'm using NowTV with the Sky Sports offer from July/August but through my PS4 app, but my Philips TV only has Prime and Netflix apps and I can't install anything else. Was thinking of getting a stick to see if it helps with quality (and my PS4 loading TV apps can be a bit dodgy at times) so I might try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Firestick is a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smurts

Can you get RTÉ player on the fire stick? I think I downloaded it through the play store before but it didn’t work right on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Does rte player work good on the now TV stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm using NowTV with the Sky Sports offer from July/August but through my PS4 app, but my Philips TV only has Prime and Netflix apps and I can't install anything else. Was thinking of getting a stick to see if it helps with quality (and my PS4 loading TV apps can be a bit dodgy at times) so I might try this.

What was that offer out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazon Fire Stick is a much better option but sometimes you get good deals on NowTV where it comes with passes or whatever. And to be honest in certain cases, depending on the user, a NowTV is a little more straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Smurts wrote: »
    Can you get RTÉ player on the fire stick? I think I downloaded it through the play store before but it didn’t work right on it

It's not available on the Amazon app store. You have to manually install June's android version and a mouse app as the remote will not work with it. It works reasonably well once you get used to it but I would not recommend it for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

bromley52 wrote: »
    It's not available on the Amazon app store. You have to manually install June's android version and a mouse app as the remote will not work with it. It works reasonably well once you get used to it but I would not recommend it for most.

Any links to junes android version????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I use the Now TV app on my LG smart TV, and it's pretty awful tbh. Has to buffer every few mins. Definitely not net speed issue. Would one of these be better for Now TV streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I use the Now TV app on my LG smart TV, and it's pretty awful tbh. Has to buffer every few mins. Definitely not net speed issue. Would one of these be better for Now TV streaming?

Our main TV is an Lg too.... and I think its a bit crap.. its a 2016 one.. very slow to change channel and the app store is useless really... tho YouTube etc works fine... sadly the RTE Player is practically unusable. I used the NOWTV app on it once or twice to watch matches and it worked ok.. but my rural broadband let it down...

The TV I added the NowTV stick to was an older LG that had no smarts.
    But it did have HDMI and USB ports. So no problem powering the NowTV stick.

I've only used it for one night but the streaming seems perfect on it. My missus was watching the bakeoff on catchup on the Channel 4 player... and was eyeing up box sets off that as well. I think thats a real bonus ..

That said I couldn't get the Virgin Player working on it.. have to get time to dig in to that...

Main reason I went for the NowTV was cos it was an Irish version said it had an RTE Player.. and its one that appears to work ok.. usual load of stupid Ads before anything starts of course.. sigh..

I don't know bout the fire TV stick.. I didn't look too hard at it.. just assumed it wouldn't have the one thing the missus wanted.. irish tv players...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Sorry to get off the original topic somewhat. I use an LGTV with Now TV for Sky Sports etc., 2016 model, and have had some trouble with the Wifi being temperamental. To remedy it, I bought a Wifi range extender for about a tenner, and set it up with an ethernet cable going from it, into the back of the TV - wired connection works much better. You could potentially wire straight from your router if it's close to the TV (mine's not).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Sorry to get off the original topic somewhat. I use an LGTV with Now TV for Sky Sports etc., 2016 model, and have had some trouble with the Wifi being temperamental. To remedy it, I bought a Wifi range extender for about a tenner, and set it up with an ethernet cable going from it, into the back of the TV - wired connection works much better. You could potentially wire straight from your router if it's close to the TV (mine's not).

Ahh thanks Danny, I've done the same thing myself with the main TV.
    Have a couple of homeplug adapters to network over the powerline and use the ethernet cable into the tv. Don't use the wifi at all, much better.

That works well a lot of the time, but yeh can do nothing if your broadband is the crappy Imagine broadband that just calves whenever theres a big match on... see the Imagine thread to hear more.. LOL...

Advertisement