Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 4G service for Three Customers for 6 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Indeed, but just look at the amount of people that pay for the HD package from Sky.

To think People would actually pay for a picture quality that should be standard in the first place for modern TV's is bewildering!

SKY still transmit in mpeg 2 which was fine for a low resolution CRT TV back in 1998, it's mental people will pay for a HD package !!!

But back to three, I thought the merger with 02 would mean better coverage ?

While Three have 0 limits on their 3G I presume 4G is the same ? if so and I could get it, it might persuade me to ditch the poxy 6mb down and 300 kbps up Eircom line.

Mobile operators don't realise the potential for a dsl replacement service .

The exact reason we don't join sky, pay extra for HD, mad.
    Unfortunately three are worse than useless around the sticks in mayo, and we gave them a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Dman001 wrote: »
    Meteor and EMobile seem to have 4G specific plans which cost more than their normal plans from what I can tell, so this is really inline with what the others are at. It was the same when 3G was launched in Ireland, it cost more for the service.

Because it an organised cartel, ...as for cost of the service, these guys make a killing as it is, its squeeze them for more, cos they can attitude. nothing more. Why cant one provider man up and say, we'll provide the upgrade at no extra cost, a provider like ting.com ...and maybe attract new customers... oh wait , there's an idea....

Indeed, but just look at the amount of people that pay for the HD package from Sky.

To think People would actually pay for a picture quality that should be standard in the first place for modern TV's is bewildering!

SKY still transmit in mpeg 2 which was fine for a low resolution CRT TV back in 1998, it's mental people will pay for a HD package !!!

Its even more mental having a 40inch HD tv and watching a heap of SD channels. For the sake of 7.50 per month (its 15 but any effort will get it for half price) its well worth it getting the HD pack imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

crazygeryy wrote: »
    If that's 12 mb a min?that sounds v good to me.

Getting really bad pings etc this morning- 129ms, 14.89mbps download, 3.62mbps upload, nearest server Vodafone Dublin.

Anyhow- even in bad conditions- that type connection is very possible- I've a 200mbps broadband connection at home, so I'm not overly overjoyed with these sort of speeds, but they're certainly not to be sniffed at from a phone (though the ping rate is crap- for whatever reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/index.html

Due to launch on the 27th January, Three are offering 6 months free 4G service to Prepay and Bill Customers. Seems pretty decent, even to just try it out. After that, it'll cost €4.99 (for Bill customers, on top of their existing Bill I'm guessing) for the service which seems pretty competitive.

Been with Three for 2 and half years myself. Not one issue with them. Wouldn't go near Vodafone or O2 again.

Not for all customers just those in cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Incredible moaning on here - 6 months free 4G and the whingers are out.

Never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

long_b wrote: »

Aren't you moaning too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

corsav6 wrote: »
    The exact reason we don't join sky, pay extra for HD, mad.
    Unfortunately three are worse than useless around the sticks in mayo, and we gave them a fair chance.

You obviously don't have a HD set-up, the difference is amazing.

If 4G turns out to be as much of a step-up in terms of quality, it will be worth the extra fiver, but there are two things to keep in mind here:
    1) it's free for a few months so people can decide themselves if it's for them
    2) if it's not for them, then they can continue on with 3G

It's a no-lose situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

long_b wrote: »

But its only in certain areas, if im living outside those areas then it isnt free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

skydish79 wrote: »
    But its only in certain areas, if im living outside those areas then it isnt free!!

True, I live in Cavan and do I get 6 months free when I comes to my area in 2047?????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

skydish79 wrote: »

It still is free. You just would not be able to avail of it while in those areas.

Its a smart deal by 3. I'm considering switching over for the 3 months for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

Got 42Mb download and 16.4Mb Upload today in Dublin City (Baggot Street)
    4G indicated on my Lumia 920 (unlocked) with Three:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

4G? I'd be happy if I had decent 3G where I live!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm genuinely surprised people expected this to be a no cost/free service. Any premium service comes at a cost - it's a capitalist world after all. Phone networks in particular have always been awful for charging users wherever possible. Why some had assumptions that a 4G rollout would initially come at no cost, I've no idea. I'm sure down the line, however, we'll see competitive plans come out and 4G eventually being established as the norm and additional charges will be scrapped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

q8uh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Does Three's Unlimited/Generous data allowances still apply on the free/€4.99 4G offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TOC03

Where I live, we have yet to be able to watch a You Tube clip, without buffering with 3. Sort out the mess that they have left the rest of the country in with the so called NBS first!! 4 G only a dream....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

PatM65 wrote: »
    4G? I'd be happy if I had decent 3G where I live!

+1

How about they sort that out first? I'm only out in Kildare, and don't have a 3G signal. :mad:
    Phone network is a joke too - get a lot of 'no network connection' messages on the phone during day (depending on where I am in house). When I go to manually find network, there are times when I can see O2 and Meteor... but no 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I saw 4g pop up on the phone for the first time today, for about 5 seconds :o

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/712319675

On vodafone myself with the 5s, it is noticeably faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I'm genuinely surprised people expected this to be a no cost/free service. Any premium service comes at a cost - it's a capitalist world after all. Phone networks in particular have always been awful for charging users wherever possible. Why some had assumptions that a 4G rollout would initially come at no cost, I've no idea. I'm sure down the line, however, we'll see competitive plans come out and 4G eventually being established as the norm and additional charges will be scrapped.

That is not premium service, imagine we pay them for moving our potatoes per every kg moved. Until now they have been using vans, but slowly they are switching to trucks. Trucks are way more expensive than vans, but can carry much more potatoes at much lower cost per kg. If they have not potato moving monopoly, then it is reasonably to expect that trucks would lower costs instead of raising it. Just look how 3G has caused mobile internet to be cheaper, because they shift more GB now. If you believe in capitalistic rules of price curve, then obviously with much larger bandwidth supply it is only natural for operators to decrease prices so higher demand can be created to utilize new capabilities.

September1 wrote: »
    That is not premium service, imagine we pay them for moving our potatoes per every kg moved. Until now they have been using vans, but slowly they are switching to trucks. Trucks are way more expensive than vans, but can carry much more potatoes at much lower cost per kg. If they have not potato moving monopoly, then it is reasonably to expect that trucks would lower costs instead of raising it. Just look how 3G has caused mobile internet to be cheaper, because they shift more GB now. If you believe in capitalistic rules of price curve, then obviously with much larger bandwidth supply it is only natural for operators to decrease prices so higher demand can be created to utilize new capabilities.

It is a new service using new infrastructure. It is only available to a select number of people; those living in 4g areas and those with a 4g phone. It will start off at a higher price and slowly decrease as more and more people join.

The mobile phone network has become quite competitive in recent years and consumers are starting to get value for money. The inclusion of a new service should bring slightly higher price.

Your analogy makes no sense and is not comparable to this situation. The purchasing of the trucks would have to be taken into account none the less and would be included in the price over the first X amount of years.

I do agree that 3g should be rolled out properly to all parts of the country and think it is unfair that some are still using older systems while a select few get 4g.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Speedtests of newly launched 4G services should be taken with a pinch of salt.

As they are only newly launched, there is hardly anyone on the network. Speeds will be far lower in a years time, when a lot more people have 4G phones and it will probably not be much faster then 3G in 3 years time when everyone has 4G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

bren2001 wrote: »

Your analogy makes no sense and is not comparable to this situation. The purchasing of the trucks would have to be taken into account none the less and would be included in the price over the first X amount of years.

I think you missed the point, of course trucks and 4G would require higher revenue to cover costs and even pay something extra for trouble of making investment - this extra money comes from increased demand, not charging more. Increased productivity is win-win situation, customers get better price and you get more income.

Just think how weird this idea is, operators charge us per every GB of traffic we generate and now they want to charge us for speed of purchasing goods from them. It is like shop saying that if you buy 2kg pack of sugar you should pay more than making four purchases of 0.5 kg sugar... both shop and operators have fixed costs and clearly benefit for consumers using registers (in case of show) or towers (in case of operator) for shorter time.

September1 wrote: »
    I think you missed the point, of course trucks and 4G would require higher revenue to cover costs and even pay something extra for trouble of making investment - this extra money comes from increased demand, not charging more. Increased productivity is win-win situation, customers get better price and you get more income.

Just think how weird this idea is, operators charge us per every GB of traffic we generate and now they want to charge us for speed of purchasing goods from them. It is like shop saying that if you buy 2kg pack of sugar you should pay more than making four purchases of 0.5 kg sugar... both shop and operators have fixed costs and clearly benefit for consumers using registers (in case of show) or towers (in case of operator) for shorter time.

I obviously get your analogy I just dont agree with it.

When broadband came in it was much more expensive than dial up, when fibre optic came in it was more expensive than broadband. Most people have a smart phone nowadays and pay for internet i.e. there is not going to be a huge increase in people coming to 3 for internet. 3 have invested a huge amount in 4g and I think they are entitled to get their money back on that. To do that they have to have a higher price.

I think the 3g speeds at the moment are fine for what most people use their phones for. For that reason, I see 4g as a luxury premium product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Where's the 30euro deal with Three for "unlimited everything" which someone mentioned?

Is this PAYG or Billpay?

Where's the 30euro deal with Three for "unlimited everything" which someone mentioned?

Is this PAYG or Billpay?

Ultimate Flex Max - It says 39.75 on the website but when you click through it is reduced. There is a link to it on the homepage.

It is a 30 day rolling contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

"Offer applies to the first 3 months only."

Doh! After that it goes up to 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

bk wrote: »
    Speedtests of newly launched 4G services should be taken with a pinch of salt.

As they are only newly launched, there is hardly anyone on the network. Speeds will be far lower in a years time, when a lot more people have 4G phones and it will probably not be much faster then 3G in 3 years time when everyone has 4G phones.

and watches 4K HD clips on YT :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

h9ku.pngos6i.png74wz.png

Some results from different sites around Dublin for future reference.

Advertisement