Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free 4G service for Three Customers for 6 months

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised people expected this to be a no cost/free service. Any premium service comes at a cost - it's a capitalist world after all. Phone networks in particular have always been awful for charging users wherever possible. Why some had assumptions that a 4G rollout would initially come at no cost, I've no idea. I'm sure down the line, however, we'll see competitive plans come out and 4G eventually being established as the norm and additional charges will be scrapped.

That is not premium service, imagine we pay them for moving our potatoes per every kg moved. Until now they have been using vans, but slowly they are switching to trucks. Trucks are way more expensive than vans, but can carry much more potatoes at much lower cost per kg. If they have not potato moving monopoly, then it is reasonably to expect that trucks would lower costs instead of raising it. Just look how 3G has caused mobile internet to be cheaper, because they shift more GB now. If you believe in capitalistic rules of price curve, then obviously with much larger bandwidth supply it is only natural for operators to decrease prices so higher demand can be created to utilize new capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

September1 wrote: »
    That is not premium service, imagine we pay them for moving our potatoes per every kg moved. Until now they have been using vans, but slowly they are switching to trucks. Trucks are way more expensive than vans, but can carry much more potatoes at much lower cost per kg. If they have not potato moving monopoly, then it is reasonably to expect that trucks would lower costs instead of raising it. Just look how 3G has caused mobile internet to be cheaper, because they shift more GB now. If you believe in capitalistic rules of price curve, then obviously with much larger bandwidth supply it is only natural for operators to decrease prices so higher demand can be created to utilize new capabilities.

It is a new service using new infrastructure. It is only available to a select number of people; those living in 4g areas and those with a 4g phone. It will start off at a higher price and slowly decrease as more and more people join.

The mobile phone network has become quite competitive in recent years and consumers are starting to get value for money. The inclusion of a new service should bring slightly higher price.

Your analogy makes no sense and is not comparable to this situation. The purchasing of the trucks would have to be taken into account none the less and would be included in the price over the first X amount of years.

I do agree that 3g should be rolled out properly to all parts of the country and think it is unfair that some are still using older systems while a select few get 4g.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Speedtests of newly launched 4G services should be taken with a pinch of salt.

As they are only newly launched, there is hardly anyone on the network. Speeds will be far lower in a years time, when a lot more people have 4G phones and it will probably not be much faster then 3G in 3 years time when everyone has 4G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

bren2001 wrote: »

Your analogy makes no sense and is not comparable to this situation. The purchasing of the trucks would have to be taken into account none the less and would be included in the price over the first X amount of years.

I think you missed the point, of course trucks and 4G would require higher revenue to cover costs and even pay something extra for trouble of making investment - this extra money comes from increased demand, not charging more. Increased productivity is win-win situation, customers get better price and you get more income.

Just think how weird this idea is, operators charge us per every GB of traffic we generate and now they want to charge us for speed of purchasing goods from them. It is like shop saying that if you buy 2kg pack of sugar you should pay more than making four purchases of 0.5 kg sugar... both shop and operators have fixed costs and clearly benefit for consumers using registers (in case of show) or towers (in case of operator) for shorter time.

September1 wrote: »
    I think you missed the point, of course trucks and 4G would require higher revenue to cover costs and even pay something extra for trouble of making investment - this extra money comes from increased demand, not charging more. Increased productivity is win-win situation, customers get better price and you get more income.

Just think how weird this idea is, operators charge us per every GB of traffic we generate and now they want to charge us for speed of purchasing goods from them. It is like shop saying that if you buy 2kg pack of sugar you should pay more than making four purchases of 0.5 kg sugar... both shop and operators have fixed costs and clearly benefit for consumers using registers (in case of show) or towers (in case of operator) for shorter time.

I obviously get your analogy I just dont agree with it.

When broadband came in it was much more expensive than dial up, when fibre optic came in it was more expensive than broadband. Most people have a smart phone nowadays and pay for internet i.e. there is not going to be a huge increase in people coming to 3 for internet. 3 have invested a huge amount in 4g and I think they are entitled to get their money back on that. To do that they have to have a higher price.

I think the 3g speeds at the moment are fine for what most people use their phones for. For that reason, I see 4g as a luxury premium product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Where's the 30euro deal with Three for "unlimited everything" which someone mentioned?

Is this PAYG or Billpay?

Where's the 30euro deal with Three for "unlimited everything" which someone mentioned?

Is this PAYG or Billpay?

Ultimate Flex Max - It says 39.75 on the website but when you click through it is reduced. There is a link to it on the homepage.

It is a 30 day rolling contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

"Offer applies to the first 3 months only."

Doh! After that it goes up to 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

bk wrote: »
    Speedtests of newly launched 4G services should be taken with a pinch of salt.

As they are only newly launched, there is hardly anyone on the network. Speeds will be far lower in a years time, when a lot more people have 4G phones and it will probably not be much faster then 3G in 3 years time when everyone has 4G phones.

and watches 4K HD clips on YT :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

h9ku.pngos6i.png74wz.png

Some results from different sites around Dublin for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Do three allow teathering? I don't fancy forking out £100 for a new 4g router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

househero wrote: »

They do on my package I have great 3G access from home it's normally between 6 and ten meg download.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/713591015.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

househero wrote: »

They dont only it on most plans but it is possible. I got 24mb yesterday tethering on 4G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

tethering from my htc one with 3g now at home i get 5.5mbps download and 1.50 mbps upload, switch to my eircom broadband and its 1.69 down and 0.20 up. absolute joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

tethering from my htc one with 3g now at home i get 5.5mbps download and 1.50 mbps upload, switch to my eircom broadband and its 1.69 down and 0.20 up. absolute joke!

Where is that? Might be worth sticking a mifi in a tupperware container on a pole at that rate or a 3g stick and an old mmds dish and and getting rid of the landline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Labelled

This seems like a good excuse to get rid of my Huawei G300.

Any recommendations going for cheap 4g phones?

Ideally one with a strong modding community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

moodrater wrote: »
    Where is that? Might be worth sticking a mifi in a tupperware container on a pole at that rate or a 3g stick and an old mmds dish and and getting rid of the landline.

Pretty much right next to Cork airport. I think were changing our ISP next month anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Pretty much right next to Cork airport. I think were changing our ISP next month anyway :)

My buddy is a programmer with IBM just inside the gate there, there was about 30 of them sharing a 4Mb connection for years, in a so called technology park what a joke. You should be able to get nova there ditch the landline if you want to keep the number its only €2.50 a month with goldfish.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Does it show up as a seperate network when searching for networks, or should it connect automatically when I'm in a 4g area?

Advertisement