Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Apple TV Full HD 2012 £64.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

The new Apple tv 2 year old edition....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

It's the latest one available, the previous model (apple TV 2) was only capable of output at 720P

Currently 109€ in all bricks and mortar stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

isnt that the way apple works :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You know, it is a pity this isn't for the Apple TV 2, as those poppies sell for over €200 on ebay/adverts as they are jailbreakable!

This is actually the new, current model, Apple TV 3, which unfortunately isn't jailbreakable, so while being more powerful and capable then the ATV2, ironically it is in less demand.

The Apple TV 3 however is a very good device and this is a good price for it. However there have been persistent rumours that a new Apple TV is due out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Why would you need to jailbreak it? Just stream your content to your AppleTV3, all you need to change your DNS settings to your streaming PC, the are few techniques how to do it, which can be found on Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Why would you need to jailbreak it? Just stream your content to your AppleTV3, all you need to change your DNS settings to your streaming PC, the are few techniques how to do it, which can be found on Internet.

So I can use it with a NAS. I dont have any apple devices other than the ATV2 & jailbroken with XBMC on it is the way to go.

Doesn't plex now work with the Apple TV with no jailbreak, thus allowing all content to be played on it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Doesn't plex now work with the Apple TV with no jailbreak, thus allowing all content to be played on it?

Yes, though it isn't the full nice Plex Interface that you get on a Jailbroken Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be weary of going head first into this one. It's not as in demand as the APTV2, regardless of fully streaming 1080p.

There is no jailbreaking for ATV3, and XBMC is not available for it. There is a number of teething issues you can hit with streaming content to the device from your local PC< laptop and NAS, and there is a number of issues regarding playback of certain files and media.

Friend got an ATV3 and after a week sold it on, and went back to his ATV2, not sure what's changed, but make sure to do your research. Not as simple as streaming your content, unless the content is in a certain file format. (might have changed, but worth triple checking)

I looked into buying one but the lack of jailbreaking and XBMC, means I loose too much functionality and use that I get from my AT2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Got myself a Netgear push2tv for £35, that was a bargain. Wireless hdmi, so it will mirror the laptop screen like an Appletv. Works with miracast for recent phones too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Where is the Screen on it ?

Underneath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Where is the Screen on it ?

Underneath ?

No screen, that little white light on the front isn't a LED, tis a projector bulb ... just paint a wall white and you'll be away. Best do this before you get it as then you'll be all set when it arrives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

On January 28, 2013, Apple released a third generation "Rev A" which included component changes

the Apple TV can't be considered the premier living room box. That honor goes to the Roku 3, which offers up more content options (including Amazon Instant, Pandora, Spotify, and Rdio), excellent cross-platform search, and a nifty remote with a headphone jack for private listening.

If you're deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem, especially iTunes, the Apple TV is a polished streaming-video box that's well worth its $100 price tag. But most buyers are better off with the plucky Roku 3 -- even if it doesn't stream YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

On January 28, 2013, Apple released a third generation "Rev A" which included component changes

the Apple TV can't be considered the premier living room box. That honor goes to the Roku 3, which offers up more content options (including Amazon Instant, Pandora, Spotify, and Rdio), excellent cross-platform search, and a nifty remote with a headphone jack for private listening.

If you're deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem, especially iTunes, the Apple TV is a polished streaming-video box that's well worth its $100 price tag. But most buyers are better off with the plucky Roku 3 -- even if it doesn't stream YouTube

It does stream youtube since December. Roku 3 is definitely a better option unless it gets jailbroken. Major complaint about roku is no keyboard support for the parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unless airplay is a big attraction, then I wouldn't bother. I had one for 2 days and went back to using my WD TV Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

At this price, this is a good bargain, especially if you or anyone in the family has any idevices.

I've got both ATV2's and ATV3's and both versions get well used.

I've even been tempted to revert the jailbroken ATV2 back to normal as just about everything I need is on the regular ATV3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

£94.99 on that site now, so no bargain any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Oh my god Apple are amazing I mean first the Iphone which is the best phone ever.

Then the realease the Apple Tv that has a Projector Bulb that can project

Omg this is amazing...My mind is already blow away.
    johnwd wrote: »
    No screen, that little white light on the front isn't a LED, tis a projector bulb ... just paint a wall white and you'll be away. Best do this before you get it as then you'll be all set when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This thing is now £94.99??
    See post #18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

For anyone that has ATV2, they may or nay not find this good. Firecore are selling ATV Flash (Black) for ~ €14.60 on stacksocial. Didn't think it was big enough for it's own thread, but may be wrong..

Advertisement