Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Boards.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Thank from me too,added to the excitement for me!
    Back to normality monday

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

Many thanks to all, had a bereavement in the extended family last weekend but because of all your knowledge I was able to have all the necessities stocked up here but could make arrangements for my inlaws who were busy with funeral arrangements. Also, like many others who have posted before me all around consider me a weather oracle. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Saganist wrote: »
    If I missed anyone I apologies.. But I personally would like to thank the below contributors for their expertise over the last week or so...

MT. Cranium
    Kermit.De.Frog
    Weathercheck
    pistolpetes11
    Meteorite58
    DOCARCH
    gabeeg
    sdanseo
    Gonzo
    sryanbruen
    Rougies
    BLIZZARD7
    JCX BXC
    nacho libre
    Gaoth Laidir
    Rebelbrowser
    patneve2
    Lumi

Thanks for what turned out to be a memorable bit of weather watching.

I second this. Thank you all for your valuable time and knowledge guys. As usual, my first port of call in any weather event and I really enjoyed boards banter. Was great to see some old names I hadn’t really seen for a few years. Now I have a little request .. can you show yourself M.T. Lol. After all these years I don’t even know what you look like ðŸ˜:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just picture a cranky old dude with a beard. Details don't matter much at that stage. Sort of like the streamers, look better from a distance than up real close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes a massive thanks from myself. Prepared well in advance. Also had family and friends prepared to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thanks to all here with the accuracy of the forecasting.
    I had a family funeral last week and while speaking to a lot of members of the farming community at it,I was able to forewarn them of the impending snow and tell them to get prepared.
    As an aside I can now say "I told you so" to a lot of doubters.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Just picture a cranky old dude with a beard. Details don't matter much at that stage. Sort of like the streamers, look better from a distance than up real close.

Haha ok well I’m going to picture a jolly old dude with a beard and we’ll leave it at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm more of a lurker on boards these days but I've always made a point to check the weather forums whenever I'm actually here. Thanks to invaluable knowledge posted here, I knew that this was coming way before it did and enjoyed reading about the ensuring events ( even if one such event last night sort of spoiled the mood for people. )

The past few days have been an experience I'll never forget, I was like a giddy child at one point with how much snow we got. Hopefully now, we can return to some form of normality soon. :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Saganist wrote: »
    If I missed anyone I apologies.. But I personally would like to thank the below contributors for their expertise over the last week or so...

MT. Cranium
    Kermit.De.Frog
    Weathercheck
    pistolpetes11
    Meteorite58
    DOCARCH
    gabeeg
    sdanseo
    Gonzo
    sryanbruen
    Rougies
    BLIZZARD7
    JCX BXC
    nacho libre
    Gaoth Laidir
    Rebelbrowser
    patneve2
    Lumi

Thanks for what turned out to be a memorable bit of weather watching.

This ^^^^^

Some invaluable knowledge passed on, thanks a mill lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Haha ok well I’m going to picture a jolly old dude with a beard and we’ll leave it at that :D
    :pac:

000b8bb4-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Massive thank you to the mods and the users who all posted weather tips, road conditions and advice in general.

And thanks to everyone for the great entertainment on thread as well. Reading these threads along with lamppost watching almost go hand in hand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Well done Boards.ie techies......several times it nearly crashed with the amount of hits/refreshes during this marathon episode but ye kept it juiced up and going.
    Naturally, A big shout out to the mods & model gurus, can I now get my normal hobbies back?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Great posting by all , thanks for all charts and explanations and forecasts. Well done all and not forgetting the mods for all their hard work dealing with some rubbish posts. You were great in 2010 and just as good again that this house had bread in, and a sledge and wellie boots. Next time need to to invest in waterproof trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

Cheers all, till the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

Just to add my thanks too - I was well prepared thanks to the knowledgeable posters here. If it hadn’t been for them I would have had a much harder time with a 4 year old, a newborn and an elderly parent with dementia. We got well stocked up and didn’t need anything till at least Tuesday! Also got sled for the older kid which was well used, and she’s a new interest in weather now after listening to me! Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Yes, thanks very much to the knowledgeable contributors here.

It truly was an event that won't be forgotten for a long time. Had most supplies in before the panic set in. I think the f5 button on everyone's keyboard deserves a rest now too ;)

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Great work. I told my extended family on feb 22 to stock up for the incoming storms and am now a hero.

And well done the mods dealing with this kinda nonsense.
    McCrack wrote: »
    A mountain out of a molehill tbh

Nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Boards.ie and the weather forum is a great place to go to if there is a storm or a bad weather event taking place. I joined boards.ie for the weather forum where I do contribute but not as dedicated to such names of M.T. Cranium, Lumi, Dochard and that young fella Sryanbrian who come up with interesting stats on past weather. Anything from a pin to an anchor is discussed on this site who apperntly celebrating its 20th birthday. I find that I post in broadband and technology forums regularly and ocasionally follow tv programmes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Can only echo all of the previous posts. Been on boards since forever and it always is one of my goto places for all sort of things.
    Thanks to all the weather gurus in here keeping us informed and entertained, boards techies to keep everything oiled up and running and all the boardsies for sharing stories and pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just chiming in with everyone else, very grateful to the hard work of all the experts in here, all invaluable information and expertise.

I said to my husband on Sunday "MT Cranium on boards is predicting bad snow..." and on Tuesday/early Wednesday, he thought MTC hadn't a clue but from Wednesday afternoon/evening onwards, he said to me "your man knows his stuff!" and yesterday he said to me "does your man on boards think the snow is done now?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I just want to reiterate the thanks and praise for all the knowledgeable and insightful contributions by all our resident weather gurus.
    Most of them whom I assume to be amateurs, all of them giving over a huge amount of their time to educate and alert the rest of us to the unfolding weather that we witnessed in the last seven days. Also to the mods who tirelessly tried to keep all the threads as relevant as possible and largely maintained the peace throughout
    As a regular and persistent lurker of the weather forum and an uneducated and largely ignorant weather nerd, I am almost happy that the event is over, as it can now return to it's normal and comfortable self rather than being a temporary off shoot of After Hours.:)
    I don't know if it would be appropriate but I wonder if it would be possible that during the next major weather event that the technical thread have restricted posting access so that only the posters with actual knowledge of the weather charts etc could contribute. It would save the mods a huge amount of effort having to delete off topic posts and restrict the trolls and in my back yarders to the general threads.
    Just a though.
    I will go back to lurking now.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Emailed my mates and told family 12 days ago warning about this. Mates laughed me off til close to Met jumping on board. Family listened.

We all got prepped!

Pretty much always get my weather from here. Met comes a distant second.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Sorry for the late thanks , I’ve been busy! But what a roller coaster it has been , ups and downs throughout the model watching which gave you goosebumps and butterflies! Without the two main men Mt and Kermit where would we be an all of the rest. A special mention to my pal sryanbruen. What a clever man, so young with bags of potential . Thanks again , Until the next time !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just want to add my Thanks here.
    I did a large shop last Monday - Supermarket, Butchers, Fish Shop and Fuel. Picked up the Kids from School Tuesday afternoon, told my Husband that he should bring home his Laptop from work Tues evening and we didn't leave the house/garden again until this morning.
    Husband worked from the Dining Room table Wed-Fri.
    Thanks to all here we were very well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Also just want to add my thanks here. I've been an avid follower of this forum since 2010 when someone eagerly told me how much more useful posters here are for forecasts than the usual media and they were dead right for what happened then and ever since. I'm a regular reader, rare poster, but folk here have helped me out on a few occasions when on ferries or planes during dodgy weather as well as being prepared for the wider severe weather. Huge thanks for all the effort that goes in by the regular knowledgeable posters and the mods for doing a fantastic and very difficult job during the busy times.

Having vowed never to go on a ferry again last time I did in a storm, I'm forced to at the weekend taking a team of kids over to a prem league game... I'll be watching that low carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks everyone on here. I got all the supplies in early on the Saturday before the snow because of advice on here. I was laughed at by my husband and kids but they were glad of it once the snow hit the fan 😂 it was great being glued to the weather forum for 5 days and reading the great advice and forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EAD

I'm a geography teacher who knows enough to know that I know very little but my students now think I'm a crystal ball carrying, weather predicting God.
    Many thanks to all the resident gurus.

Advertisement