Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Mac Eoin

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Im looking for any photos, newspaper clippings (scan and post) and the words to any of the ballads about Sean "Tipper" Mac Eoin, the rebel leader.

Before independence he was known as John Joseph Mc Keown.

We have our own stories about him as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

send a request to the longford leader paper. they've loads of photos of him printed over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Check the local library in Longford. There was some noise recently about his family home being sold/knocked down. He was a TD for Longford (Fine Gael) for a considerable period of time, I think he was Minister for Justice. Librarians in Athlone might get you in contact with the archives crowd in Athlone Barracks, were he commanded at the time of the truce (and civil war)

http://www.longfordleader.ie/whats-on-guide/Ballinalee-Ambush-featured-in-new.5955801.jp

http://www.longford.ie/longford_towns.aspx?id=564

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/Objection-to-plans-for-historic.3113073.jp

http://www.generalmichaelcollins.com/Treaty_Documents/The_Treaty_Debate_1921_17.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

He also ran against Dev for President in the 50s, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Denerick wrote: »
    He also ran against Dev for President in the 50s, I think.

1959. And against Sean T in 1948.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Farrell wrote a biography on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 johndervilla

Hi, check out my new web site seanmaceoin.ie. So far it's a collection of images, documents and video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Hi, check out my new web site seanmaceoin.ie. So far it's a collection of images, documents and video.

Good site. The picture of him in London with Dan Breen is on it, although the label is surely wrong (as it is on the original site to which you link): 'Sean McEoin and Dan Breen during the Pact talks 1920' Surely 1921, given the Treaty was on December 6 1921?

Also, did he not always spell his name Seán, rather than Sean? In the documents you link the fada is there, as it is on legislation he signed as Minister for Justice, for example. Similarly, as it's in Irish there should be a space between Mac and Eoin: Seán Mac Eoin, rather than Sean MacEoin. Surprisingly, Wikipedia spells his name properly.

Well done again.

PS: To get the fadaí quickly, press 'alt', 'ctrl' and the vowel at the same time for small vowels: áéíóú. For capitals, press 'alt', 'ctrl', the shift key and the vowel at the same time: ÁÉÍÓÚ.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

Thanks to all for the replies and info. Being from Ballinalee - well being of a family from Ballinalee should I say - myself, Ive always had an avid intrest in him, though personally would not have supported his politics.

We have many family legends of him, and of his father when his father was subject of a boycott in the village. Being a writer Ive written a few poems on the man and stories around him on my Ballinalee poems.

Thank you for the great feedback. That's exactly what I want. You are quite correct on the spelling of Mac Eoin. Certainly Sean did sign it in that way. In fact my grandfather Seamus Mac Eoin (Sean's younger brother), did sign his name that way also. Some family members still use this spelling and others have dropped the space. I guess the web site should have the original spelling. Regarding the fada, I did not know how to do this so thanks for that information too. I will also change the caption on the photo. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Thank you for the great feedback. That's exactly what I want. You are quite correct on the spelling of Mac Eoin. Certainly Sean did sign it in that way. In fact my grandfather Seamus Mac Eoin (Sean's younger brother), did sign his name that way also. Some family members still use this spelling and others have dropped the space. I guess the web site should have the original spelling. Regarding the fada, I did not know how to do this so thanks for that information too. I will also change the caption on the photo. Thanks again!

Just a hint to make the changes quickly hold the 'ctrl' button and the letter 'f' and you should be able to either 'Find and Replace' them all or 'Find' them at once on each page and save yourself time. (although be careful with the 'Replace all' function that you haven't changed some other unconnected word, e.g. seanathair to seánathair to take an obscure example in this context). But you probably knew all that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

As a young Military Police Corporal stationed in Mullingar I was a Pallbearer at Gen. Mac Eoin's funeral in Ballinalee in '73, (as I was for Develera, I think it was the following year?)

Hi, there are photos from Sean's funeral on my site www.seanmaceoin.ie. Are you in any of the photos? I was also there aged 5.

Can't see myself but then we carried the coffin in relays. I'm not in the pic unless I'm on the hidden side of the coffin.
    I was 23 yrs old at the time... God, where does time go?
    We (six of us) were invited to the post funeral function but our (very strict) Sgt i/c wouldn't let us have a drink!
    Six pints and a tray of sandwiches were placed in front of us by Pat Quinn, of supermarket fame. He sat and chatted with us for the time we were allowed remain there & nobody else spoke to us. (Was he related to the family?)
    The sandwiches were soon eaten, but we had to leave the pints behind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 cruderbeef

Can't see myself but then we carried the coffin in relays. I'm not in the pic unless I'm on the hidden side of the coffin.
    I was 23 yrs old at the time... God, where does time go?
    We (six of us) were invited to the post funeral function but our (very strict) Sgt i/c wouldn't let us have a drink!
    Six pints and a tray of sandwiches were placed in front of us by Pat Quinn, of supermarket fame. He sat and chatted with us for the time we were allowed remain there & nobody else spoke to us. (Was he related to the family?)
    The sandwiches were soon eaten, but we had to leave the pints behind!
    Was that the 4th Garrison MPC, Western Command?

cruderbeef wrote: »
    Was that the 4th Garrison MPC, Western Command?
    Yes, it was/

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy your pints. I wonder if Seán Mac Eoin would have let you drink them! I'm not sure if there is any link with Pat Quinn. I'll have to ask around about that and get back to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 cruderbeef

Yes, it was/
    My uncle was in that unit.

cruderbeef wrote: »
    My uncle was in that unit.

Maybe I knew him. Send me a pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tynanap

Im looking for any photos, newspaper clippings (scan and post) and the words to any of the ballads about Sean "Tipper" Mac Eoin, the rebel leader.

Before independence he was known as John Joseph Mc Keown.

We have our own stories about him as well.
    have ballads if you want them about the blacksmith Andy Tynan

Advertisement