Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hector – Ó Siberia go Saigon

Options
  • 10-11-2018 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching this new travel series. First part was Siberia than Mongolia

Last night he was in China, not the typical major cities. Very well produced and captures interesting aspects of life in these less travelled regions - some loss in translation gold as well

https://twitter.com/hectorirl/status/1060276292740939782?s=17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Saw the first two episodes so far, he really does have the ability to have the bit of craic wherever he goes in the most formal or relaxed cultures around the place. Doesn't be any way patronising or even judgemental - he's got some ability to know his place and be respectful while throwing in the bit of banter too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Hector is a class act, great craic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Amazing how the noodles are made. Looking forward to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Really enjoying this. The St Patricks Day Parade in Nepal was brilliant.

I don't see it advertised for this week. Anyone know when it's on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Really enjoying this. The St Patricks Day Parade in Nepal was brilliant.

I don't see it advertised for this week. Anyone know when it's on again?

Thursday 29th he is in Bangladesh and on Thursday 6th December he lands in Myanmar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Love the programme and can tolerate Hector on it . Except when he stands way to close to people he is interviewing and invades their space its just bugs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 VanGogh18

hector gets on well everywhere he goes
    spot on no bother bosco
    sin é craic lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

sxt wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this new travel series. First part was Siberia than Mongolia

Last night he was in China, not the typical major cities. Very well produced and captures interesting aspects of life in these less travelled regions - some loss in translation gold as well

https://twitter.com/hectorirl/status/1060276292740939782?s=17

I'm looking forward to this myself. Travel documentaries are where Hector excels.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KAMG

Really enjoying this program too. Hector is excellent at these programs. Anyone remember the one he made a good while ago about owning a race horse. That was brilliant too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The food project for the school kids in Nepal was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't seen this programme but am surprised at the positive reviews. Usually if Hector goes to Spain, Japan, Canada or Outer Mongolia it's usually about Hector and nothing else. It's usually a word fest with plenty of pics of , well, Hector himself.
    I will give it a miss however. Just can't stand the bloke.

I've watched the episodes out of sequence. He asks questions about the history and culture, getting to know people, change in cities, etc. The country side is stunning.

But yeah, re his personality, I can see why some people would prefer to eat sandpaper for breakfast rather than watch his shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Usually can't stand the guy...but this series is actually quite good.

Anyhow after Saigon Hector should be sent south to North Sentinel island :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I suppose he will be on the Late Late, D'arcy, that Brendan fellow, newstalk and everywhere else talking and talking about what a great experience he had.

Dhaka is like nothing I've seen. Building and maintaining ships by hand too. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I only saw the episode of this where he was in Nepal but it was great to see him back to what he does/did best in the past, himself and Ross on the road having the craic. It was exactly a show like this on TG4 that got him noticed in the first place, it is very enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

miamee wrote: »
    I only saw the episode of this where he was in Nepal but it was great to see him back to what he does/did best in the past, himself and Ross on the road having the craic. It was exactly a show like this on TG4 that got him noticed in the first place, it is very enjoyable to watch.

Yeah, I love Hector's travel shows.

They're just funny and interesting. Would like to re watch some of the older ones.

Hector Central (as in Central America) has been repeated a few times, well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Can’t stand Hector but I must admit I do like his travel programmers, am loving this one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

In Thailand and Cambodia tonight..very enjoyable.
    I have to agree Hector is very good on his travel shows..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Great show very interesting - his best for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Enjoying this series, I just think hector seems to make everyone relaxed when he speaks to them ...that or they think he is mad as a brush.
    I think Hector personally finds these countries suited to his personality because he seems to be into the whole spiritual side of life, the likes of mediation.

Enjoyed the last one too. The poverty was humbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

He lets himself down with all the blokey 'pints and snooker' banter, he's more intelligent than all that. Fair play to him, he's the only Irish person who's consistently made worthwhile travel docs for about 20 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Just finished catching up on this show. Thoroughly enjoyed it, this type of show really suits Hectors style and personality. He seemed to be really enjoying himself and all the locals seemed to get on with him.

I found the last episode a bit emotional and sad. Meeting the guy who gave up his career to look after and educate the kids in Phnom Penh, they lived in such poverty. I wonder who was the male movie star he was talking about? Meeting the coconut factory workers with the 84 year old working flat out who will probably loose their job to modernisation. The guy who worked as a translator in the war for the US and was then abandoned by them whe they left and how he hated the Yanks since.

I was in Mongolia in the summer and thankfully I got much better weather than Hector. It’s an amazing country, well worth a visit. The Genghis Khan statue is very impressive.

Advertisement