Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking outside

Options
  • 17-01-2021 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My housemate smokes outside the back of the house. I also live in a terraced house. My neighbor also smokes outside the back of the house. My bedroom is at the back of the house and I like having the window open in my room, I need fresh air.

My issue is I can smell the cigarette smoke and it's horrible. Not to mention, can covid travel in cigarette smoke?

Can I ask people to smoke elsewhere like at the back of the garden away from the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

If where they are smoking is the only place where there is outside shelter, then u can't really say anything. Maybe notice what time they usually go for one, and keep it window closed for that time.

If there is other sheltered areas, I would approach by simpliy saying hey I find the smoke drifts into my room when my window is open, would u mind moving a little more to the left/right (wherever) it makes me a little nauseous and can bring on headache.

Hopefully they'll understand and move without any drama. However if they continue to do it, then their just a dick and I wouldn't say anymore about it. Might get a bit of enjoyment from pissing u off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I smoke, and I go outside to smoke - but I wouldn't stand under someone's window and puff away, that's just pig ignorant. I walk down to the back of the garden or into the shed if it's raining.

I would say exactly what lilacnails has said above but ask them to move down to the back of the garden if they don't mind, if they're not an arseh*le they won't mind. The neighbour might be less amenable to this as they don't live with you but I would defo say it to the housemate.

I have to ask, is it a single storey house or something?

You can ask, but they can say no or tell you to close your window while they're outside. Especially the neighbour.

(For the record, I'm not a smoker).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Notasmoker wrote: »
    My issue is I can smell the cigarette smoke and it's horrible. Not to mention, can covid travel in cigarette smoke?

No more so than any enthused exhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Smokers often underestimate how far the odour of their cigarette can travel. I've been at amateur sporting events at the opposite side of an outdoor pitch and can smell cigarette smoke.

It depends on wind direction etc... but the first time it happened I thought I had super powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Intuitive

That's a nuisance for you. All up can do is ask politely and hope for the best. I would say you get headache etc because they won't believe you and might feel like your judging them for smoking at all. and nobody likes thinking feel they're better than them. could you swap rooms at all?
    I find it hard to believe covid could go up on the smoke considering it's in a vapor which surly goes down instead of up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Put a fan in front of the window and leave it on. If that doesn't help you'll just have to either close your window or ask them to smoke elsewhere.

Advertisement