Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrible work stress

• 21-01-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’d like to hear your guys advice.

Last week I started a job as let of my college degree. It is supposed to last until June but it is causing me so much stress.

I’ve never really had issues like this with a job but I feel like there is so much expected of me and there’s so much to learn and my quality of life has dropped massively. I can’t sleep at night because I’m worried about work, I can feel my heart racing all day and even as I type this my hands are sweating.

It’s so embarrassing because there are people my age who have done this job and had no issue and here I am on the verge of tears because I can’t handle it. I hate that I am reacting like this to a job, my father committed suicide when I was small and it makes me feel like maybe I am not so different from him after all as I now fear that I have terrible anxiety or something.

I’ve worked many summer etc jobs etc and never been like this. My employer isn’t even particularly bad, I really think it’s me that’s the problem. Maybe I’m just not suited to this work but there’s no way I can do this for 6 months my mental health will go to hell.

I’m afraid that my college won’t let me leave this job though, even though up until 2 weeks ago I was due to do classes as normal as I hadn’t secured a job. I’d love to be able to go back to that.

I’m sorry if I’m rambling on, there’s probably other things I want to say that I can’t think of but I’ll keep it short.

I don’t even know what I’m posting here for, but anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Hi, given all that's going on at the moment & with lockdown a lot of people are experiencing anxiety. Any new job has added challenges as the moment too, not sure if you are working from home but even if you aren't, you can't be in a situation where someone can sit beside you and show you how things are done so go easy on yourself firstly.

As a new person in a job, most decent managers know that it's more challenging and generally expect it to take longer to learn the ropes. Is the pressure being put on you by someone or by you? Also, stop comparing with others, people often hide the truth so others may have found it challenging & even if they didn't, the current environment is very different that previously so it's not comparable.

Your mental health is the most important thing. Try talking yo your supervisor, ask for addition support or a mentor. Also talk to the college & see what options are. If it's too much & neither of them help, talk to your GP, make get a sick certs etc. but no matter what protect your mental health.

I noticed you mentioned your father's suicide and just in case you are having an suicidal thoughts please speak to some one. Piera house, the Samartians etc but if it is the case, do talk. If not, I apologise but I didn't want to ignore it either.

There is nothing in life that can't be recovered again, courses can be repeated, different routes can be taken etc. but looking after yourself & your mental health is far more important than those things.

Talk to a friend, trusted family member etc. Best of luck, x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Hi OP,

As you have another thread open in Work Problems and that one seems to have the most replies, I'll close this one here.

I just wanted to say before I do, that I'm sorry about your dad. That must have been an awful experience. I think its no harm to reach out to your GP and see about talking to someone about how you're feeling. No job is worth this amount of anxiety.

Best of luck

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement