Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to 1440p and 144Hz, getting a lot of stuttering?

Options
  • 26-06-2020 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I haven't upgraded my monitor in about 10 years so I've been stuck on 1080p 60Hz since 2010. Today I received a badly needed new monitor, which goes up to 2K resolution and up to 144Hz (155Hz with G-sync)

I have an issue with some games, though. Most of them are stuttering (not horribly, just enough to make it noticable) and when I switch to 60Hz, it stops.

Sounds like an easy fix but it doesn't sound right to have an issue like this when almost every PC gamer (or at least the serious ones) highly recommend these monitors and refresh rates and mine is just.... not acting the way I think it should.

I hope I made sense, but anyway, does anyone know how to alleviate this, or at least walk me through an ideal setup that works?

This is my first time exploring G-sync, Freesync and all sorts of jargon like it, and this is also the first time I heard of a DC (DisplayCable) DP cable - as I said I've been stuck on 1080p and 60Hz connected via HDMI for the better part of a decade and never felt the need to change until now. Loving the improved visual quality of the monitor itself, as well as the smoothness of the cursor as I'm using it (sounds really trivial and stupid to like something like this, but I am very easily impressed by trivial things)

Sorry for waffling on.

TL-DR: 144Hz stutters during most games when I feel it really shouldn't. Help??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I think you mean a DisplayPort cable.

What's the GPU model and the monitor model? Let's see what connection standards it has to begin with.

You need a DP cable to get 144Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Spear wrote: »
    I think you mean a DisplayPort cable.

What's the GPU model and the monitor model? Let's see what connection standards it has to begin with.

Yes, that's what I meant :p

I have a GTX 1660Ti and the monitor is a Dell S2719GDF

WbwCXrjQz7KtypNbienZjZ-970-80.jpg

Not necessarily. HDMI cables from 1.3 achieve this as well, which is what I was using at first, and I got 144Hz with it, but as I stated in the OP, I am (now) using a DP cable. I am using a DP cable, I forgot to actually state that I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Assuming you have an Nvidia GPU connected to a G-Sync monitor via a DP cable, you should also verify that the settings are correct.
    There are settings you need to check in the Nvidia Control Panel (G-Sync enabled) and in the game you're playing (turn off VSync and any FPS limitations). For more details, see this excellent article.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Assuming you have an Nvidia GPU connected to a G-Sync monitor via a DP cable, you should also verify that the settings are correct.
    There are settings you need to check in the Nvidia Control Panel (G-Sync enabled) and in the game you're playing (turn off VSync and any FPS limitations). For more details, see this excellent article.

Can I just clarify it shouldn't matter that it's an NVidia card anymore, yeah? I read recently that NVidia now allows G-sync on Freesync monitors (which is what I have)?

I was able to OC the monitor to use 155Hz as well so it must've worked. I'll have a look at those settings anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Can I just clarify it shouldn't matter that it's an NVidia card anymore, yeah? I read recently that NVidia now allows G-sync on Freesync monitors (which is what I have)?

In your OP you mentioned G-Sync for the monitor, but not about the GPU. And it does matter a bit: if you were trying an AMD card with a G-Sync only monitor, it wouldn't work. Also, if you try an NVidia GPU with a Freesync monitor, it will work, as long as the monitor is supported (i.e not all Freesync monitors are G-Sync compatible).

I thought you meant you had a Gsync monitor which needs a DP to run 144hz.

JoyPad wrote: »
    In your OP you mentioned G-Sync for the monitor, but not about the GPU. And it does matter a bit: if you were trying an AMD card with a G-Sync only monitor, it wouldn't work. Also, if you try an NVidia GPU with a Freesync monitor, it will work, as long as the monitor is supported (i.e not all Freesync monitors are G-Sync compatible).

Well I was able to get it to work anyway, I think. I dunno: it's hard to even say lol

My monitor is a Freesync monitor, and I have G-Sync enabled and I was able to OC the monitor to allow it to go to 155Hz. Does that mean it's compatible?
    I thought you meant you had a Gsync monitor which needs a DP to run 144hz.

I've a freesync monitor which is G-sync compatible, apparently. I have G-sync enabled so I'm assuming it works...

Yea. It should be working. Turn off Vsync in game and enable it in your monitor settings. I don't know how you do that with a Freesync monitor as i have a Gsync one. It should be there somewhere though.

Seems to be working well now! Haven't seen any noticeable stuttering. I'm not getting much out of the 155hz though as GTA V is only hitting 80fps lol Anything over 60fps is satisfactory in my books but I'm happy to not need to use Vsync again. Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You've tested to make sure 155hz isn't dropping frames?

You've tested to make sure 155hz isn't dropping frames?

Doesn't seem to be, no. I've switched to 144Hz to see if there was any difference and it's the same on both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Try the TestUFO page to see if it looks smooth there;
    https://www.testufo.com/

Also are the games on hard drive or SSD? It's a big, big jump from 1080p/60 to 2K/144 so I'm wondering is it a texture load steaming issue or something.

Lastly, verify you are @144, on the desktop, right click, display settings, advanced display setting and look at refresh rate.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Try the TestUFO page to see if it looks smooth there;
    https://www.testufo.com/

Also are the games on hard drive or SSD? It's a big, big jump from 1080p/60 to 2K/144 so I'm wondering is it a texture load steaming issue or something.

Lastly, verify you are @144, on the desktop, right click, display settings, advanced display setting and look at refresh rate.

Yeah it looks fine using that tool.
    It depends on the game, some are on the HDD, some are on the SSD. I typically use SSD for larger games like GTA V

It says 143Hz on the advanced display settings which is...weird (update: found out it could be a rounding error, which apparently is common)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've a GTX 1080 and I set the refresh to 100hz,I find it a much easier target to hit consistently due to having an older GPU.

I feel you still get most of the benefit without flogging your rig.

60hz to 120hz is the biggest jump imo and 100hz compared to 120hz feels reasonably similar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How are you monitoring your frame rate, Gamer Bhoy?

And officially, your monitor isn't supported by Nvidia (although that doesn't mean it won't work - it may be a case that they simply haven't yet verified it themselves).

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    How are you monitoring your frame rate, Gamer Bhoy?

And officially, your monitor isn't supported by Nvidia (although that doesn't mean it won't work - it may be a case that they simply haven't yet verified it themselves).

If I'm playing a steam game I usually turn the FPS counter on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If I'm playing a steam game I usually turn the FPS counter on

Thanks. I don't know if using something else would make that much of a difference. What kind of frame ranges are you getting, and in what games?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't know if using something else would make that much of a difference. What kind of frame ranges are you getting, and in what games?

Between 70 and 90 on most games. Some games I feel the fps should really be higher, though. Like Starcraft II, for example. My PC is way more than capable of running that game, so much so that Game Debate reckons my setup can bring it past 300fps if it was possible, yet it doesn't hit past 100.

It's really weird.

The stuttering issue is gone, I'm not getting that anymore, but the jump in fps is an odd one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You're playing at a higher resolution, right? I find that lowers fps quite a bit. Also beware that some games have fps caps.

• Advertisement

The stuttering issue is gone, I'm not getting that anymore, but the jump in fps is an odd one for me.

That's good, yeah. Btw, what CPU are you using?

I had a fair few issues with certain games at 2K on my old i5 6600K cpu,
    but a lot of these issues disappeared when I upgraded to a Ryzen R5 3600.

Moon54 wrote: »
    That's good, yeah. Btw, what CPU are you using?

I had a fair few issues with certain games at 2K on my old i5 6600K cpu,
    but a lot of these issues disappeared when I upgraded to a Ryzen R5 3600.

It's a Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.85GHz, I used PC Part Picker to get the setup I wanted and everyone recommended the 1660Ti with the Ryzen 5 2600 - wonderful combination.

It's a Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.85GHz, I used PC Part Picker to get the setup I wanted and everyone recommended the 1660Ti with the Ryzen 5 2600 - wonderful combination.

Your right, yeah that's a perfect modern setup, no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 1660Ti is a decent card, but not really a 1440P 144hz card in new games. Even GTA V is about seven years old now and 1080P ultra at 80fps average would be fairly normal on it with that card.

A lot of new games at 1080p ultra you would just hit around 60fps, let alone 1440p and >60fps! Your stuttering was probably from v-sync being enabled though.

In most cases having a 144hz monitor is more about getting >60 in the bigger games, especially if you don't have a powerful card.

I have a 1080P 240hz monitor, in slightly more demanding games like say Battlefield online, I get about 120-150fps at 1080p ultra, and I have a 2070 Super. Whereas Overwatch and Apex Legends are fairly OK at 220 and about 180fps respectively.

Advertisement