Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is printing your own insurance disc a new thing?

Options
  • 18-06-2020 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Got insured with Liberty and now request you to print your own insurance disk and cut it out with a scissors. It looks like I did it myself in Microsoft Word

Is this a new thing. Just don't want any hassle from cops if I'm stopped.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

AXA have been doing it for years. Doesn't mean you're not going to get an hassle though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yeah, I've seen a few times recently although I've always had mine posted out as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I carry a photocopy of the full cert in the glove compartment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

123.ie have been doing it for years as well.

Make sure it's a colour printer. The left band has to be green according to legislation. Apart from that, there's not much legislation defining the standards for insurance discs, hence getting away with the Microsoft Word looking jobbies.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print
    4. (1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

(2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side.

(3) Every insurance disc shall be in the form in the Schedule hereto and shall state the particulars of insurance which are required in the said form to be specified together with the month and year of expiry expressed numerically.

This is pushing it though

fake-insurance-.jpg

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

The thing about the green band is pain because in most disc holders, they don't fit without folding over the green band completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Stark wrote: »
    123.ie have been doing it for years as well.

Make sure it's a colour printer. The left band has to be green according to legislation. Apart from that, there's not much legislation defining the standards for insurance discs, hence getting away with the Microsoft Word looking jobbies.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print

This is pushing it though

fake-insurance-.jpg

Hillarious, saw that on garda traffic twitter feed. A I've also noticed a number of seizure of vehicles for out of date NCT, one yesterday barely a month out, I thought certs expiry dates were extended as most NCT centres closed

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I carry a photocopy of the full cert in the glove compartment as well.

This...

No idea why you would get hassle for printing out your own insurance disk TBH but you can keep the insurance cert in your glovebox fairly handy anyway.
    I have been doing it for at least 5 years so it is definitely not a new thing. It is not like the insurance companies put a hologram on their disks for combating counterfeiting before so printing your own (or having it printed for you by a friend/relative/neighbour/lover/partner) is no big deal.
    I do think you should get a couple of Euro off your premium for it though, you're doing them a favour and saving them on P&P after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The thing about the green band is pain because in most disc holders, they don't fit without folding over the green band completely.

'most disc holders' :confused: I've never had a problem with the paperwork in my disc holders. All of which were the originals as fitted by the main dealer who sold the car new.

coylemj wrote: »
    'most disc holders' :confused: I've never had a problem with the paperwork in my disc holders. All of which were the originals as fitted by the main dealer who sold the car new.

Every single time in the last c. 10 years I've had any disc holder the insurance disc needs to be folded.

Advertisement