Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groundhog Day, or what happened to my post

Options
  • 05-01-2014 9:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Anyone who hasn't been around the board(S) for the last few hours may not be aware, as a result of a database maintenance issue that went wrong, the entire boards system was restored from a backup taken at about 06:30 today, so it's groundhog day, anything done from that time up to about 14:00 or thereabouts has been posted to the bit bucket in the sky, and yes, that includes the early morning forecast posted by MT, and lost of other things that were here, but no longer are.

I'm sure MT will get the message before too long that "his" thread has been pruned, as will any of the other regulars, but there is nothing to be gained from hassling the mods of this forum, they can do nothing to get any of the messages back unless someone has an RSS feed or similar that was downloaded to a local machine, which tends to be rare these days.

Now, back to watching what's actually happening out there in the wesht!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I basically just posted that the forecast was still valid from the day before, it was taking me about one minute to type in one word around 0830 (as bad luck would have it, I posted much later than usual). For a while I thought it was my computer acting up while doing the daily scan, but apparently it was a boards issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Boards has had some issues all right, but I don't think they bit too hard until about 14:00 Local, one of the admins got a command wrong, and instead of merging 2 forums, he ended up putting ALL the forums into one forum, so close on 40 Million (yeah) messages went into one (Airsoft) forum. At some stage, I suspect that the server handling the data base got a severe dose of heartburn, or maybe even a mega shortage of space as it duplicated all of those messages, either way, it got pulled shortly after 14:00 and didn't really come back up clean until 21:30, and that meant a total database restore from the backup at 06:30.

We shall never know how many messages have been consigned to the bit bucket in the sky, but it will have been quite a few, I have to admit to having made a mental note that I must look at the MySQL documentation in some detail to find out why it wasn't possible to use the transaction logs selectively to recover the posts, I'd be kind of concerned that with a basically working system hardware wise, the information to recover all the intervening period should have been there, and it (in theory) should have been possible to exclude the thread that was entered incorrectly so that it didn't apply those updates, but there may have been consequences that made that scenario impossible. Oh the joys of on line real time transaction processing!

I wonder how many of that 40 million are from the weather snow bunny threads, among others.

<snip>
    Main thing now is that it's back in time to be able to record in real time the events of the next 36 hours

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

[PHP] instead of merging 2 forums, he ended up putting ALL the forums into one forum, so close on 40 Million (yeah) messages went into one (Airsoft) forum.[/PHP]
    The perfect storm :)

Sorry couldn't resist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement