Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Bow?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct term, but I saw a fantastic moon bow coming to work this morning.
    coming up the N81 it was raining, but a really bright moon shining. I saw what at first I thought was the beam of headlights shining into the sky, I then noticed that it actually continued up and formed a perfect arch across the sky.
    unfortunately the camera on the phone was not able to capture it.
    Is this a rain bow at night, a moon bow or some other fancy name.

Wonderful sight.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I can't post links from my phone but what you seen was a moon halo, google it. Amazing sight :).

It was very slightly hazy last Saturday night and I was on a hill overlooking a town and the moon's halo was so big that it was impossible to see all of it at once. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I was outside at ~3am Monday morning, to see a really strong 22 degree halo around the moon - strong enough to see tinges of colour on the inner and outer edges. There were also fairly strong hints of the 46 degree halo as well. No moondogs, and no other halo effects seen.

What was really surprising to me was the speed of the high altitude winds at that time, as I watched a plane pass nearby and the contrail moved from the Moon to the halo within 2 minutes (10 degrees/min)

Advertisement