Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming a refund

Options
  • 29-05-2020 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm not a gamer so go easy on me.
    I bought my son a Nintendo Switch for his birthday. Today he somehow managed to transfer €130 from my PayPal to the Nintendo game account, and also purchase some Pokemon game worth €58.
    Is there any hope of me reclaiming this money?
    I've emailed Nintendo but as its Friday evening I'm not expecting any response until next week.
    Just wondering what are the chances of getting a refund on the €130 and the Pokemon game.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Casey78 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I'm not a gamer so go easy on me.
    I bought my son a Nintendo Switch for his birthday. Today he somehow managed to transfer €130 from my PayPal to the Nintendo game account, and also purchase some Pokemon game worth €58.
    Is there any hope of me reclaiming this money?
    I've emailed Nintendo but as its Friday evening I'm not expecting any response until next week.
    Just wondering what are the chances of getting a refund on the €130 and the Pokemon game.
    Thanks.

I don't understand the "I'm not a gamer so go easy on me". Gamer or not noone is going to think badly of you.

I gather the game purchase was a digital download? This is the UK site but it says no refund which makes sense for a digital download. A physical copy (still in it's shrink wrap would probably be able to be returned to the store).

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Refund-Request-for-Downloaded-Game-or-DLC-Wrong-Game-Didn-t-Like-Game-Accidental-Purchase--1379023.html

As for the €130 refund ... hmm I'd say unlikely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd say slim to none, Nintendo don't do refunds. People have literally had to take Nintendo to court just to get an eShop pre-order cancelled and refunded. You can try explaining it, but I doubt it'll help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

kingtut wrote: »
    I don't understand the "I'm not a gamer so go easy on me". Gamer or not noone is going to think badly of you.

I gather the game purchase was a digital download? This is the UK site but it says no refund which makes sense for a digital download. A physical copy (still in it's shrink wrap would probably be able to be returned to the store).

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Refund-Request-for-Downloaded-Game-or-DLC-Wrong-Game-Didn-t-Like-Game-Accidental-Purchase--1379023.html

As for the €130 refund ... hmm I'd say unlikely :(
    Ah I only meant I hadn't a clue how these nintendo e shops work so incase I was asking a question with a pretty obvious answer ,I was just apologising beforehand!

So not a hope of getting anything back? Feck.
    €130 is a lot of money. It's my own fault I know for not having a password setup.

You'd have more success appealing to PayPal than Nintendo. Still a very longshot though. Did your kid play the game? If they did, then you can probably forget that bit of a refund already.

sligeach wrote: »
    You'd have more success appealing to PayPal than Nintendo. Still a very longshot though. Did your kid play the game? If they did, then you can probably forget that bit of a refund already.

No he hasnt played it yet. I dunno if it's even suitable for for him. He is 8, the game is Pokemon Shield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Change your PayPal details password specifically don't give your kids access to it again doubtful you'll get a refund but yes the game would be suitable for your childs age group.

If your PayPal account wasn't synched to the switch console as a payment option and the kid used it without permission you can appeal to PayPal for a partial refund on the remaining credit amount if the PayPal was set up as a payment option you don't have a leg to stand on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

How was the PayPal account linked to the Nintendo account? I set this up last week, it was very straight forward and even had parental locks. Did you give him all your passwords?

Thanks for all your help everyone, I guess I'll just have to take it on the chin.
    Have set a password now anyways.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

A refund may not be possible. Perhaps you could try asking for a credit for the €72 against a future purchase in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You should download the Nintendo Switch Parental Control App. That will allow you restrict access to the console by setting time limits and what they can do with online services.

I'd be wary of doing a charge back on PayPal as that can end up getting your account blocked on Xbox and PS4 so I'd imagine it's similar on Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Maybe this is answered already but how did the money go from PayPal to Nintendo, was it a hacker or your child?

If it was a hacker then you should be fine

If it was your child, no chance, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I don't know how you claim it, but under EU law
    If you bought a product or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and without a justification.

Just to update this. I actually managed to get a refund of the full amount. So happy days.

Just to update this. I actually managed to get a refund of the full amount. So happy days.

From PayPal I'm going to guess?

sligeach wrote: »
    From PayPal I'm going to guess?

No, from Nintendo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ah that's great, glad to hear it :)

What way did you request it, in case anyone finds this thread in future?

Fysh wrote: »
    Ah that's great, glad to hear it :)

What way did you request it, in case anyone finds this thread in future?

I emailed their customer support in the UK and explained my case. There was a few emails back and forth with me having to provide a few details and then got an email to say no bother basically that I would be refunded.
    The game he downloaded was cancelled and the money was put back into my account the next day.

No, from Nintendo.

I'm shocked. But good on them.

Advertisement