Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Front sus: lockout

Options
  • 26-04-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

I do a bit of road cycling on my mbk (hardtail), so my suspension isn't really needed. I was considering getting something to lockout the suspension. Has anybody ever tried this before? Is it handy enough to get the lockout working? I'll have a search on the web anyway, but if anyone here has tried it, I'd be interested to hear how it went

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4862

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

isn't that just a replacement lever for a shock already with lockout?

I have eta on an 04 MX Comp and it's not complete lockout, it locks probably half the travel and then leaves you with perhaps 30mm of stiff travel (will still bob if you get off the saddle). Nice for going up the hills, just make sure you switch it off before you start going down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

rob1891 wrote:
    isn't that just a replacement level for a shock already with lockout?

you might be right. My forks are Marzocchi DJ2 Bombers. Bike is from 2002 and afaik don't have lockout. There are adjustments for the dampening alright. I'll dig up the manual and take a closer look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

AFAIK you can't retrofit lockout without changing the fork's internals, if its possible for your fork at all. But I doubt DJ2s will have it. Marz forks usually lock the rebound , rather than the compression, so that the fork height is reduced too, which is excellent for roads/climbing.

Lockout does make a difference for road cycling. I have remote lockout on my forks, and a lockout lever on my rear shcok. It makes a huge difference to efficiency when both are locked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

Just get a set of rigid forks, I suggest projectII from kona.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/project-forks_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

you'll get for a much as you'll pay for a lock out and they will be much lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I guess rigid forks are an option, but I was hoping for something easier to install. I use the bike off-road so I want to keep the suspension forks on the bike. I suppose I could always buy a road bike, but then again, I don't really want another bike. Ah, I'll just live with it the way it is ;)

KR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can't put lockout on forks that don't originally have it. Look on CRC for a new set of forks with lockout and put 'em on. Then you can sell your old ones on mtbireland.com or braydownhill.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

why not pump up the forks so there is no give in the front? 4/5 bar? depending on your fork. Then let out some air for off-roading(what me and the mates did for getting to the hills.
    kona P2s will cost€120 btw in Ireland. Only available in Cyclogical on Bach walk D1.
    I will have a set of red GT forks going spare(putting bombers on) if you want a cheap decent rigid fork.
    good luck.

Advertisement