Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critical Mass Bike Protest!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Seriously though, you still must spend more than €70 a year on your bike...
    I can't see how you're spending €80 per month on your bike. I've cycle commuted for years and I rarely have to spend anything. A splash of oil every now and then, a new chain every 2000-3000km, I've puncture-resistant tyres..... nothing like €960/year.
    Granted, the bike cost quite a bit originally, and I do all my own maintenance, but it is by far the fastest/cheapest/healthiest way to get to work. A lot of people spend silly sums on gym memberships, which I don't have to do.

I average about 25kph on a 13km commute, a lot faster than a standard 5kph walking speed. I recommend cycling to everyone I meet, just ignore the suicidal cycle-lanes.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I don't spend €80 a month on my bike. I spend €80 a month on my bus tickets, my bike and related accessories.

Example - this week I fell off. Bent back wheel cost €50 to replace. New helmet cost €40. Doctors fees were €65 and counting. And bus tickets are €16 and counting. If I had taken the bus, I'd have spent €65 on bus tickets this month. A substantial saving by any stretch.

I'll keep cycling - but its certainly unlikely to be a whole lot cheaper than public transport, which is my point, and it would never suit the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

stick with the public transport mate if it uneconomical for you. Maybe look to getting a fixed gear/wheel bike, almost no maintainence. Cyclogical sell Fuji fixies for about €550 all in.
    oh well I 'm off to the shops on my bike(not my car)
    enjoy your travels folks.
    one track mind.

Advertisement