Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything like peleton in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

general rule of thumb - do not invest heavily in a proprietary bit of kit.
    So, I shouldn't invest in a $400 subscription based juicer that doesn't juice either?
    stoneill wrote: »
    Get a bunch of people on the Zoom app using turbo trainers - there ya go, your own pelethon.
    Sounds like a running race organised by a Brazilian footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

So, I shouldn't invest in a $400 subscription based juicer that doesn't juice either?

Sounds like a running race organised by a Brazilian footballer.

You could do that aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that is absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Peleton = ~$2250 for the bike and $40 a month subscription not including a few other bits and bobs.

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    1x BTW at 1000 (which can go on the road too!)
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150
    Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor 30
    Bluetooth dongle (and extender cable as their range is short) 30 (only needed if your phone/laptop doesn’t have bluetooth).
    On Zwift you have to tell it that you are on a “classic” aka dumb, turbo and match the type/model (Air/fluid/magnetic) and it’ll calculate your power output from the speed/cadence.

So you save a grand over the Peleton option and you can take it outside and get a proper ride in too. If you have a bike already your looking at about 200 quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hoggy1983 wrote: »
    It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it.
    worth noting this - the 'try it first' approach, on a proprietary platform where you've to pay someone else first to use it, is not an approach i would put much credit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Hoggy1983

worth noting this - the 'try it first' approach, on a proprietary platform where you've to pay someone else first to use it, is not an approach i would put much credit in.

"For our Members in the U.K., we now offer a 30-Day Risk-Free Trial (Terms & Conditions apply). You will receive a full refund on the Bike, accessories (except apparel items), your £95 delivery fee and all Device subscription payments made since the delivery of your Bike, as long as you contact us to return your bike within 30 days of receiving your delivery."

I've also used the bike in hotels. So not paid a dime.

Any friends who have a bike can also create you a profile.

I've not bought a Peloton so I have no vested interest or need to defend it. But I get the appeal.

saccades wrote: »
    Peleton = ~$2250 for the bike and $40 a month subscription not including a few other bits and bobs.

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150
    Bluetooth dongle (and extender cable as their range is short) 30 (only needed if your phone/laptop doesn’t have bluetooth).
    On Zwift you have to tell it that you are on a “classic” aka dumb, turbo and match the type/model (Air/fluid/magnetic) and it’ll calculate your power output from the speed/cadence.

So you save a grand over the Peleton option and you can take it outside and get a proper ride in too. If you have a bike already your looking at about 200 quid.

Yep, but again you're not getting the Community aspect. The reviews I've seen on Zwift are "ok". We're social creatures and thats what you're paying for. The setup you mentioned definitely still has its appeals if you want to do the DIY and are a cyclist outdoors with a group of friends. (I'd love to but Irish roads are probably the most unsafe in Western Europe)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've also used the bike in hotels. So not paid a dime.
    you had to pay the hotel though. unless there are hotels which allow you to shack up and use their facilities without paying a penny.

you had to pay the hotel though. unless there are hotels which allow you to shack up and use their facilities without paying a penny.

Ha! Ok you win. Ignore the other points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Yep, but again you're not getting the Community aspect. The reviews I've seen on Zwift are "ok". We're social creatures and thats what you're paying for. The setup you mentioned definitely still has its appeals if you want to do the DIY and are a cyclist outdoors with a group of friends. (I'd love to but Irish roads are probably the most unsafe in Western Europe)

That sounds like the goalposts being shuffled...

I am a dyed in the wool spin class spinner, I like the instructor at the front leading, I love the structured nature where every minute has been planned to get the most out of the session, but there not a lot of social interaction as I'm gurning out full power on a 5 minute climb to the sound of a Pearl Jam/EuroPop mashup.

Peleton is a lot of money for what it is, social aspect or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150

What’s a BTW? And what’s the best smart turbo trainer? I would t mind paying a bit more for one that’s more integrated into the APP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ctlsleh wrote: »
    What’s a BTW? And what’s the best smart turbo trainer? I would t mind paying a bit more for one that’s more integrated into the APP

Bike to Work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a special offer...
    RGT Cycling, the new innovative virtual cycling platform, has today announced that it is making all of its Premium features available for free to all indoor cyclists, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

link

That sounds like the goalposts being shuffled...

I am a dyed in the wool spin class spinner, I like the instructor at the front leading, I love the structured nature where every minute has been planned to get the most out of the session, but there not a lot of social interaction as I'm gurning out full power on a 5 minute climb to the sound of a Pearl Jam/EuroPop mashup.

Peleton is a lot of money for what it is, social aspect or not.

How much do you spend on spin classes a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Tacx Neo / Flow or Wahoo Kickr probably the best out there. Availability was an issue the last time I looked.

Wattbike do an excercise bike (Atom) thou early versions were problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

we have one. got it shipped to NI then drove it down to dublin. there was one in our NY apartment building gym for a couple of years so we knew we would use it and not get sick of it quickly. my wife was the main decider so i left her go with it... she loves it. certainly it is expensive.

i like it a lot. if i have a 40 minute break between work calls i can jump on an on-demand ride, or see what is coming up as a live class over next few hours.

social is the obvious main draw. competing against the rest of users who have taken the class is very motivating. i lost this feature for a day or two when the clocks changed, and that showed me just how much i need it. i try to get in about top 10% of people who have taken the class. then like a normal race you will have people around you who you bump up and down on the leaderboard. i follow a bunch of old friends from USA so i can filter on just these if they have also taken the class. i'm into golf so i follow a lot of those guys, i can just about keep up with lee westwood but mcilroy is depressingly fast.
    it does very well at tracking against previous efforts, so you can target a personal best for each of the class times tracked separately, so you have a 20 min personal best and also a 30, 45 min etc. it's measured on output (cadence * resistance) so after 10 minutes my output might be 27, and it tracks that my personal best at this point in the past was, say, 29.

price is obviously a downside, also lack of availability in ireland. i'm concerned as to what might happen if the bike breaks. although dealings with customer care so far have been good. the classes may not be for everyone - particularly some of the girl instructors treat it like a therapy session. it can get a bit much at times. but you find the instructors you click with, just like anything else. it's a premium bit of kit, packaged very nicely at a premium price. not for everyone but there certainly seems to be a market for it.

tropics001 wrote: »
    we have one. got it shipped to NI then drove it down to dublin. there was one in our NY apartment building gym for a couple of years so we knew we would use it and not get sick of it quickly. my wife was the main decider so i left her go with it... she loves it. certainly it is expensive.

i like it a lot. if i have a 40 minute break between work calls i can jump on an on-demand ride, or see what is coming up as a live class over next few hours.

social is the obvious main draw. competing against the rest of users who have taken the class is very motivating. i lost this feature for a day or two when the clocks changed, and that showed me just how much i need it. i try to get in about top 10% of people who have taken the class. then like a normal race you will have people around you who you bump up and down on the leaderboard. i follow a bunch of old friends from USA so i can filter on just these if they have also taken the class. i'm into golf so i follow a lot of those guys, i can just about keep up with lee westwood but mcilroy is depressingly fast.
    it does very well at tracking against previous efforts, so you can target a personal best for each of the class times tracked separately, so you have a 20 min personal best and also a 30, 45 min etc. it's measured on output (cadence * resistance) so after 10 minutes my output might be 27, and it tracks that my personal best at this point in the past was, say, 29.

price is obviously a downside, also lack of availability in ireland. i'm concerned as to what might happen if the bike breaks. although dealings with customer care so far have been good. the classes may not be for everyone - particularly some of the girl instructors treat it like a therapy session. it can get a bit much at times. but you find the instructors you click with, just like anything else. it's a premium bit of kit, packaged very nicely at a premium price. not for everyone but there certainly seems to be a market for it.

I've used it in hotels in the US and love it, hard to justify the price though as its also a lock-in and if PTON dont make it, then youre left with an expensive piece of metal, albeit really well made......i'm defintiely torn though vs a high end turbo trainer.......id love a PTON.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 munkytennis

I'm fascinated about getting a peleton bike using the website all the time but to know the results would be great. A few questions if you have a sec?

Does the app work down south?

did you have to get it shipped to an address in ni and set up by their tech on site or did they just ship it over ?

Thanks

j

I'm fascinated about getting a peleton bike using the website all the time but to know the results would be great. A few questions if you have a sec?

Does the app work down south?

did you have to get it shipped to an address in ni and set up by their tech on site or did they just ship it over ?

Thanks

j

I put my money where my mouth is and bought one.

No regrets at all and I've already used it 20 times in the past month.

The app will work globally although I was warned by the delivery team the peloton can sometimes check this.

I had a friends address lined up to use in Northern Ireland but managed to swing it so it got delivered to my home. Its a bit mad that they don't cover ROI as standard considering the bikes are sent out from Dublin!

You'll need a UK address to get started and pay though.

They will just deliver it 95% built. Word of warning if moving upstairs...weighs a tonne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a smart trainer (Kickr Core) and a TrainerRoad subscription.

It's a brilliant combination. In erg mode the trainer automatically adjusts the resistance so you don't have to think about timing or concentration, as long as you're turning the pedals you're hitting the numbers.

Plus there's various drills suggested like cadence or one legged focus, if you can be bothered.

With the training plans it makes the whole thing almost idiot proof.

Almost. I managed to break myself doing two weeks of daily interval sessions. I am an advanced idiot.

I had a friends address lined up to use in Northern Ireland but managed to swing it so it got delivered to my home. Its a bit mad that they don't cover ROI as standard considering the bikes are sent out from Dublin!

Could you explain further? thanks!

Could you explain further? thanks!

when my bike was being delivered (to friend up in NI) it was an 01 dublin number and irish guy on the phone to confirm delivery. i wondered at the time if i could just ask them to drop it off to me in dublin but i let it slide.
    it was delivered mostly put together apart from handlebars, pedals and screen which were easy to screw together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheadle999

I put my money where my mouth is and bought one.

No regrets at all and I've already used it 20 times in the past month.

The app will work globally although I was warned by the delivery team the peloton can sometimes check this.

You'll need a UK address to get started and pay though.

They will just deliver it 95% built. Word of warning if moving upstairs...weighs a tonne!

Hi hoggy,

ive ordered a bike a few days a go and have it arranged to be delivered up north but woould save a lot of hassle if i could get delivered straight to me in dublin.

how did you go manage to go about this?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

tropics001 wrote: »

I loved the use of the peloton while in the states too. Used it all the time when I couldn't get the a flywheel class. We have considered doing what you have done but are concerned if the bike breaks or something is wrong we wont be able to have it repaired.

Dont think they have any plans for a ROI release.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

cheadle999 wrote: »
    Hi hoggy,

ive ordered a bike a few days a go and have it arranged to be delivered up north but woould save a lot of hassle if i could get delivered straight to me in dublin.

how did you go manage to go about this?

thanks

Hi,

I too have just arrived a peloton via a friend in the north. The order confirm mentions that they will be in touch within 4 days to arrange delivery, but initially it flagged a 7-9 week lead time.

Did you have a long lead time, and did the courier company reach out to the UK phone number provided or did they contact you by email.

I am also hoping to get them to deliver to me in Dublin, rather than have to go up north to collect it, given it is due to ship ex Dublin

Rathminor wrote: »
    Hi,

I too have just arrived a peloton via a friend in the north. The order confirm mentions that they will be in touch within 4 days to arrange delivery, but initially it flagged a 7-9 week lead time.

Did you have a long lead time, and did the courier company reach out to the UK phone number provided or did they contact you by email.

I am also hoping to get them to deliver to me in Dublin, rather than have to go up north to collect it, given it is due to ship ex Dublin

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago expecting that it would be a 7 week leadtime, next thing my friend gets a call to tell them it was being delivered the next day, that was a week later, so I was delighted.
    Unfortunately I wasnt able to change the delivery, they said it was already loaded in the truck.

One thing that people should understand is that it comes with cleat pedals only, so you need to order the shoes which are really good, you can also order cages that clip in, you need to talk to support to do that.

It’s a great product, you won’t be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheadle999

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago expecting that it would be a 7 week leadtime, next thing my friend gets a call to tell them it was being delivered the next day, that was a week later, so I was delighted.
    Unfortunately I wasnt able to change the delivery, they said it was already loaded in the truck.

One thing that people should understand is that it comes with cleat pedals only, so you need to order the shoes which are really good, you can also order cages that clip in, you need to talk to support to do that.

It’s a great product, you won’t be disappointed

Do you know the name of the delivery company by any chance? I might try get in touch with them to see if I can arrange delivering to Dublin. Thanks.

cheadle999 wrote: »
    Do you know the name of the delivery company by any chance? I might try get in touch with them to see if I can arrange delivering to Dublin. Thanks.

Don’t know the name of the company , the number that I received the call from was 01 2551165

• Advertisement

the cleats are "look delta" compatible. you can get those adaptors on amazon and attach them to any cycling shoes. the ones from peloton are pretty crappy quality imo, unless you're getting them free as part of a deal.

Advertisement