Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric car charging point

Options
  • 16-03-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all just wondering what size cable should be installed for car charging point I am wiring a domestic premises at the moment and I want to get cable in while we have the chance I will not be installing charging point at this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How long is the run?

6sq would be ok for 16/32a charger, but for future proofing 10sq would probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

How long is the run?

6sq would be ok for 16/32a charger, but for future proofing 10sq would probably be better.

10sq!! How much juice do these cars take?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Phil.x wrote: »

A 10 mm sq. sounds about right to me. I believe some EV outlets are around 32A (I have never installed one so I am open to correction).

Remember cable size is not just a function of the load, the length of cable run can impact this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Well, ya asked for a recommendation, without knowing your specifics its better to oversize.

My own charge point is running of a 6sq cable and is perfectly fine, 2.5sq would of even done 16A no problem over a short run (3m).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Well, ya asked for a recommendation, without knowing your specifics its better to oversize.

My own charge point is running of a 6sq cable and is perfectly fine, 2.5sq would of even done 16A no problem over a short run (3m).

Checked a 3 series BMW in work today, its stating 2.4kw on the charger, so about 10amps. Not too cheap to run I'd say, unless you do what this guys doing and using a carparks general use 13amp socket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Checked a 3 series BMW in work today, its stating 2.4kw on the charger, so about 10amps.

Personally I would like to allow for at least a 32A charger.

I think that as battery technology improvers and becomes mainstream high current fast chargers will be the norm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Personally I would like to allow for at least a

I agree. Many chargers are single phase 32 amps supplies. However some recommend a 40 amp mcb, they've a 40 Amp RCBO on the units themselves, so with them running for 2-4 hours I think 10.sq.mm is correct.

Advertisement