Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting new saddle - carbon rails

Options
  • 01-02-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm fitting a new saddle to my bike. The new saddle has carbon rails, so I'm wondering do I need carbon paste in the clamp around the rails

Or do I just fit the way the last one was fitted....steel/metal rails

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I can't see the need for the paste myself but if you have it there it'll do no harm putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

ok cool.

The paste won't make the clamping action more likely to fail, will it? As in, the rails being more likely to slide through the clamp, assuming it's tightened well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Carbon paste will ensure they don’t slip. I use carbon paste on all parts that interface with other parts (carbon or alloy)

good stuff....thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

AlanD wrote: »
    ok cool.

The paste won't make the clamping action more likely to fail, will it? As in, the rails being more likely to slide through the clamp, assuming it's tightened well enough

Unlikely for a saddle to slide on the rails, if it were a seat post fair enough. As I say though if you have it there no harm putting a bit on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Are the carbon rails the same shape as the previous metal ones? - if not, you may need to change the seat post rail clamps - some manufacturers have two versions of clamps, depending on what saddle is to be used.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Are the carbon rails the same shape as the previous metal ones? - if not, you may need to change the seat post rail clamps - some manufacturers have two versions of clamps, depending on what saddle is to be used.

They fit alright. Have it installed. Seems to be stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Grand - so long as the rails are a round section of the same diameter, but some are larger and/or oval.

Advertisement