Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres.....

• 23-01-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭

Need 4. Usual crossclimate are gone mental money with little change out of 800 for 4.

Suggestions? Conti premium contact 6? Some reviews complaining of poor wear and poor responsiveness concerned me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Goodyear Efficient Grips.
    Love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Try buying them from oponeo.ie and get a local lad to fit them. I saved 200 euros buying expensive tyres last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

205/50r17 93w

It’s an expensive size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you look into 225/45R17 given that you’re changing all 4? Sidewall height is exact same on that size, tyre is obviously a bit wider. Way cheaper size with more choice.
    What car is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

893bet wrote: »
    205/50r17 93w

It’s an expensive size.

Try looking at 275/30r20 run flats and come back to me on cost :P

djivide_ wrote: »
    Try looking at 275/30r20 run flats and come back to me on cost :P

Can get you Land Slide for €70 a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I bought 4 last week.

Interestingly I got 85k km out of my previous set of Crossclimates :) very pleased with them.

The original tyres on my car were 225 60 R16. Crossclimates cost €200 each in that size.

I changed to 215 65 R16. Crossclimate tyres are €150 each in this size.

That's a saving of €200 for a set of four tyres.

OP see if you can go up/down a size and check prices.

225/45 is the cheapest 17” size and just happens to be the right diameter as the originals too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you look into 225/45R17 given that you’re changing all 4? Sidewall height is exact same on that size, tyre is obviously a bit wider. Way cheaper size with more choice.
    What car is it?

Would they fit my rims?

It’s just a megane.

Do 1k a week so don’t like to skimp on tyres based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tyreleader are showing Nokian weatherproof in 205/60/17 at €119 ea.
    They are a pretty good tyre but lean more to the winter all season than summer all season.
    Bridgestone Weather control A005 are €126
    These are very good tyres IMO, they are more summer biased than the Nokian but a very simiar tread pattern.

I have had Michelin CC before but being honest I think they are over rated in this climate, standing water is common here and they don't deal with it very well, I used to get the VSA light flashing all the time using them in rain.

Would they fit my rims?

It’s just a megane.

Do 1k a week so don’t like to skimp on tyres based on that.

Is this a current model or the older 2009/10 shape? Older model have 7” wide wheels which will take 225 tyres. Should be easy to check online if there is arch clearance.

Skrimping by changing to a more common size isn’t really skrimping,

Is this a current model or the older 2009/10 shape? Older model have 7” wide wheels which will take 225 tyres. Should be easy to check online if there is

It’s 2013 model.

Afraid to change size than what’s on them as it’s likely I will be buying online and getting them fitted so risk of error is on me.

Skrimping by changing to a more common size isn’t really skrimping,

Understood and that wasn’t what I meant. I meant I might just stick with the CC even at 800 for 4.

They have been good value so far as I am stuck to the road in all conditions.

The pair on the front have done 65k km and the ones on the rear 80k km or so. Only 20% of that is motorway. 60% would be back bog roads up the middle of the country from Nenagh to Athlone.

I drive on enough aswell.

What car is it?

Would the difference in width not mean I need different rims?

Would the difference in width not mean I need different rims?

No, the Megane that comes with 205/50R17 tyres is usually a 7 inch wide wheel. These can take tyres from 195 to 225 wide.

There are some Mégane that have a 6.5” wheel, they wouldn’t be suitable for 225 wide tyre. These don’t usually come with your tyre size though. Easily verifiable by a tyre fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be a really useful one for multiple posters!

I'm looking to replace two 195/65/15's for a car I'll be replacing in the next 6-9 months. Therefore I'm hoping to get value for money without getting anything awful...

What’s the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What’s the question?

Apologies, looking for recommendations on tyres to consider and or/definitely avoid.

My last set were Falkens which I got from Eiretyres which I had fitted in a small garage in Walkinstown. Seemed fine but that was over two years ago.

Feedback regarding tyre fitters in the south Dublin area also a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

hardybuck wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be a really useful one for multiple posters!

I'm looking to replace two 195/65/15's for a car I'll be replacing in the next 6-9 months. Therefore I'm hoping to get value for money without getting anything awful...

My father used to get Michelin energy saver tyres in that size for €72 each. Really good tyre that lasted well and wore down evenly

Can't help you with fitters as we do all that ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

OP,

This seemed like a good price(~140 Euro with shipping)

camskill - crossclimates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mike1983

Stay away from conti I dropped my new sportage in for its first service 19k and there is only1.5 on both front wheels , Car is not driven hard as its the family run around, after talking to someone in the ITIA he was saying alot of same problems with people and Continental tyres for the cost compared to the wear he was recomanding Nexon (cheapest ) or hand cook / Bridgestone

I gotta price around now myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can find review fopr each type here
    https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/

Mike1983, were you using the same type OP mentions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mike1983

I have the Conti sport 5, 360 each and only 20k piss poor tyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Need 4. Usual crossclimate are gone mental money with little change out of 800 for 4.

Suggestions? Conti premium contact 6? Some reviews complaining of poor wear and poor responsiveness concerned me.

OP, I'm another that's going to be complaining of poor wear on Continental Premium Contact 6. The rear ones were gone after about 12k km. The front are not far behind and were replaced with Sport Contact 5.

Car is a Leon FR (and ya, how did the back wear out before the front? I don't drive THAT sideways!)

Ended up going with the Cross Climate in the end!

Nenagh quickfit gave me a reasonable deal (700 for the 4). I could have gotten the same in my local give or take but they wanted me to buy the tyres online and then they would fit.

I got 65-80k on the first set of four so will see how they fair this time.

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, I'm another that's going to be complaining of poor wear on Continental Premium Contact 6. The rear ones were gone after about 12k km. The front are not far behind and were replaced with Sport Contact 5.

Car is a Leon FR (and ya, how did the back wear out before the front? I don't drive THAT sideways!)

12k!!!! 3 months driving for me......f#^#}#k that!

Advertisement