Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 21-01-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭

The bike to work is available for me again and I am thinking of replacing my beloved 2015 Cube Peleton SL with a gravel bike. It would be used as my commuter bike (7km each way), a couple of 20km spins a week, as well as heading off paved roads a bit up the mountains when I get a chance. I already have a Dolan DR1 for road fun.

I am tied to brick and mortar shops due to the voucher scheme that work have signed up to.

I think I could get away with spending €1700 max and would want full Shimano 105 minimum.

So far the following have caught my eye:
    Cube Nuroad Race - €1499 - Also comes in a boring black FE version for €1699 with hub dynamos, rack and mudguards.
    Orbea Terra H30-D 19 - €1699

Any opinions on the above or any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Got the Vitus Substance v2 on chain reaction recently and love it. I went for Sram Apex instead of 105 but both were available. I find it a brilliant commuter - big comfy tyres, smooth ride, fast. Very sturdy too with a steel frame. Was on sale about 1250 or so when I got it - I'd say there's a new version coming out shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Got the Vitus Substance v2 on chain reaction recently and love it. I went for Sram Apex instead of 105 but both were available. I find it a brilliant commuter - big comfy tyres, smooth ride, fast. Very sturdy too with a steel frame. Was on sale about 1250 or so when I got it - I'd say there's a new version coming out shortly.

Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately CRC don’t accept the bike scheme vouchers. They’re the onlyvstickists of Vitus and have had some great offers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lovely though they are, neither of those bikes have the new RX rear derailleur from the R8000 group, they're both running R7000.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/239539-shimano-reveals-ultegra-rx-chain-stabilising-rear-derailleur

Does it matter? Is there a bike at that price point with that mech? Can it be upgraded on its own? I have no idea.

Lumen wrote: »
    Is there a bike at that price point with that mech?
    For comparison purposes, the cheapest Canyon with that mech is €2600.

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/grail/grail-cf-sl-8-0.html

Irritatingly you have to buy a CF frame, which seems a bit pointless on a big-tyred gravel bike.

Their AL frames come with 105.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Cannondale Topstone 105 has been flashing it's eyes at me recently. Only the crank not 105, but over your (and mine!) budget at 1800.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Does it matter? Is there a bike at that price point with that mech? Can it be upgraded on its own? I have no idea.
    does it come with a modesty veil to protect my eyes from the sight of it? i have no idea.

does it come with a modesty veil to protect my eyes from the sight of it? i have no idea.

The mech or that Canyon? :D

Lovely though they are, neither of those bikes have the new RX rear derailleur from the R8000 group, they're both running R7000.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/239539-shimano-reveals-ultegra-rx-chain-stabilising-rear-derailleur

Interesting that. However, it does look to be out of my price bracket!

• Advertisement

Why are you tempting me with stuff I can’t get :(

Eh, sorry.

I don't know what's in your scheme. Is Planet X Ireland still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Eh, sorry.

it is, but they don't list this bike on their website...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's also €500 over the stated max budget.

Eh, sorry.

They still have an online presence but they are not listed under the scheme.

https://www.travelhub.ie/shops

Give it a few weeks, you'll get it for a few cans of beans and a plane ticket to Ireland. :D

I’m really liking the look of the Nukeproof Digger Pro 1x11 Sram Rival. I’ve seen it available for €1699 but I’m not sure if it’s in my size. The only thing is that I think it may be overkill in comparison to the type of on and off road I anticipate doing.

http://nukeproof.com/products/digger-pro-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

also in the market for a Gravel bike...i def want a 1x Apex or rival

was looking at the Boardman cxr 8.9 in Hellfords!! 1200e
    doesn't seem available in M, a small might do with a 120mm stem

or the PlanetX full Monty 1100e

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's the (besides marketing...) difference between a cycloross bike and a gravel bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've always liked the look of the Full Monty. The CXR is a cross bike rather than gravel though - so might not have the tyre clearance. ADV is their gravel bike range.

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's the (besides marketing...) difference between a cycloross bike and a gravel bike?

As I understand it...

CX bike = 700c, 35mm tyre clearances, 1x or 2x with small big ring.

Gravel bike = compact road gearing, maybe 650b and massive tyre clearances.

I could be wrong, it's a bit confusing. Why would you need massive tyres on gravel? Isn't that monstercross?

I did build a monstercross bike a few years ago. It was predictably crap.

• Advertisement

also, i think a lot of gravel bikes woudl have a more relaxed geometry than a cross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

I have just pushed the button on an Aluminium version of the Orbea Terra, I wanted the 1 X 11 set up but it was 300 premium on the 105 equipped version. There is a cheaper Tiagra version with Hydro brakes also.

also, i think a lot of gravel bikes woudl have a more relaxed geometry than a cross bike.

It used to be the case that there were several different classes of CX bike, the leisurey ones separate from the racey ones.

Maybe those leisurey ones have been rebranded gravel bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As I understand it...

CX bike = 700c, 35mm tyre clearances, 1x or 2x with small big ring.

Gravel bike = compact road gearing, maybe 650b and massive tyre clearances.

I could be wrong, it's a bit confusing. Why would you need massive tyres on gravel? Isn't that monstercross?

I did build a monstercross bike a few years ago. It was predictably crap.

I think the vast majority of 'gravel bikes' have 700c wheels but bigger clearance for chunkier tyres.

I have a Felt VR30 (VR standing for Variable Road) which is marketed as a gravel/road bike. It came with 28mm Durano RaceGuard tyres and a 46/30 'adventure' chainset and 11/32 cassette (along with hydraulic brakes) I have no intention of taking it off road and so changed the tyres to 25mm. Its an excellent winter bike and the 46/30 chainset make it ideal for climbing as there is literally no hill/mountain in Ireland I couldn't spin up with high 30/32 gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

fat bloke wrote: »

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Only €243 over by my reckoning, max budget is €1700, bike is £1750 = €1993 on XE.COM. And sure aren't we expected to go a bit over budget on this forum? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Planet X Xls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Limited sizes, not bike to work and Sram Apex - but this looks like a great deal. If I had space I'd buy it

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/nukeproof-digger-1-0-gravel-bike-2017/rp-prod146006

Limited sizes, not bike to work and Sram Apex - but this looks like a great deal. If I had space I'd buy it

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/nukeproof-digger-1-0-gravel-bike-2017/rp-prod146006

Yep. CRC are no good to me at the moment. Plus I already have a black/yellow bike :D. The Diggers look serious fun though....not that I'd be able to do anything that Elliott Heap can.

• Advertisement

Somehow deleted this post by accident.

The more I look, the more difficult it is! It’s a pity that bike shops in Ireland are very limited in brand choice. The same brands appear everywhere.

So from calling into a few bike shops I now want Sram Rival 1x11. I think it suits my needs and a little less maintenance.

Unfortunately what became my first choice (and probably way too much bike for me) the Nukeproof Digger Pro is sold out everywhere with no stock coming back in. The lower spec Digger Comp is available and had Sram Apex, but I don' think it would be value for money upgrading it myself to Sram Rival.

So I think I have now narrowed it down to two....yes I increased my budget to €2000 but as I keep getting told by my better half, I use the bike and for the next 5 years €300 is not much:
    Orbea H31 D 19
    Kona Sultra Ltd

While I like the look of the Kona that little bit more, it doesn't appear to have the Rival X-Horizon rear derailleur while the Orbea does. I wouldn’t be worried about the Raceface cranks and groupset on the Kona.

Advertisement