Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 beat RTÉ hands down - Weather Coverage

Options
  • 02-03-2018 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

No comparison on coverage of weather on these stations .
    TV3 have a number of individuals on the ground across multiple locations reporting on a constant basis live .
    RTÉ seem to be confined to Donnybrook with a far lower amount of coverage and probably getting paid 5 times what the TV3 staff are getting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

If only they broadcast in HD on saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

wicklowdub wrote: »

That has nothing at all to do with the topic in question. I suggest you stop trolling and have a moan in the correct forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They kinna are sensational whores though in fairness, but good coverage all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mattser

wicklowdub wrote: »

They always come across as very plastic to me, and appear to have a lot more ad breaks. Their weather coverage was the same as their current affairs, all shiny but way off the substance that RTE provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭OldRio

highdef wrote: »
    That has nothing at all to do with the topic in question. I suggest you stop trolling and have a moan in the correct forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Well in fairness their picture 'quality' on Saorview always gives the impression of snow. Therefore how can we judge the weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Not watched TV in ages

Who has the best looking weather girls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

hurler32 wrote: »
    No comparison on coverage of weather on these stations .
    TV3 have a number of individuals on the ground across multiple locations reporting on a constant basis live .
    RTÉ seem to be confined to Donnybrook with a far lower amount of coverage and probably getting paid 5 times what the TV3 staff are getting.

Maybe you have a specific agenda to these comments which is another matter if true but have you not actually watched RTÉ over the last few days at all? I saw people in Waterford, Wicklow, Meath, Kilkenny, Cork and several towns around that county, Athone, Tullamore, Clara, to name just a few that I can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not watched TV in ages

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=443894&d=1519942779

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ORACLE2

Not watched TV in ages

Siobhan Ryan looked great on Primetime Last Night,she was sporting a great set of Pins on her,Well Fit for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Maybe you have a specific agenda to these comments which is another matter if true but have you not actually watched RTÉ over the last few days at all? I saw people in Waterford, Wicklow, Meath, Kilkenny, Cork and several towns around that county, Athone, Tullamore, Clara, to name just a few that I can recall.

Well this morning from 8 to 10.30 AM TV3 have full visual on site coverage from many locations...RTE is confined to coverage of In studio Radio programmes and a Repeat of some programme Wild Cities..RTE seem to have to show repeats half the day most days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

hurler32 wrote: »
    Well this morning from 8 to 10.30 AM TV3 have full visual on site coverage from many locations...RTE is confined to coverage of In studio Radio programmes and a Repeat of some programme Wild Cities..RTE seem to have to show repeats half the day most days...

Yeah, but TV3 have a specific morning TV programme so you are going to have "visual" on site coverage. RTÉ has Morning Ireland on the radio at that time. While obviously a radio programme requires a studio I imagine they spoke to people around the country just as Seán O'Rourke is doing now. Not really sure what you are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

mattser wrote: »
    They always come across as very plastic to me, and appear to have a lot more ad breaks.

Probably because unlike RTE, they are not funded by the licence fee monies.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yeah TV3 beat them hands down with the sheer amount of inaccurate information they presented on their broadcasts.

Some of my favourites include calling streamers from Wednesday and Thursday morning Storm Emma, and a reporter saying live all flights have ceased from Dublin and that the runway is closed (as a steady stream erupt from arrivals before her from the continuous flow of landing aircraft).

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Yeah, but TV3 have a specific morning TV programme so you are going to have "visual" on site coverage. RTÉ has Morning Ireland on the radio at that time. While obviously a radio programme requires a studio I imagine they spoke to people around the country just as Seán O'Rourke is doing now. Not really sure what you are expecting.

TV3 had a live weather special yesterday from 2pm to 6pm. They’re doing the same today. RTE showing broadcasts from their radio studio is embarrassing but to be expected at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Have seen a large numbers of reports from around the country on RTE. The premise in the OP that the coverage has been confined to Donnybrook is very clearly untrue.

zac8 wrote: »
    TV3 had a live weather special yesterday from 2pm to 6pm. They’re doing the same today. RTE showing broadcasts from their radio studio is embarrassing but to be expected at this stage.

Couldn't care less where it's from as long as it's from professional MET people, and not actors.

mattser wrote: »
    Couldn't care less where it's from as long as it's from professional MET people, and not actors.

Not sure which outfits reporters are the most well up meteorological wise but TV3 most definetly have had twice if not more live on site visual coverage ....RTÉ showing their radio programmes or showing repeats of fair city etc the last few days .

There is no doubt corners are been cut in RTÉ in recent times ...I guess when you have the wage bill RTÉ have there isn't much left for doing anything else ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's fecking snowing. What are RTE to do about that today. Show us, more snow? No thanks.

Water John wrote: »
    It's fecking snowing. What are RTE to do about that today. Show us, more snow? No thanks.

Maybe give us updates about what it's like in a few places OUTSIDE of Dublin ..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

But they are doing that. And consistently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

They announced an upgrade from a red alert for wicklow and wexford (whatever that is - burgundy maybe) and then said but thats still to be confirmed.

There can't be an upgrade from a Red Alert!! Maybe they were indicating it may be extended?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057843354&page=51

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Have to disagree. RTE has done a good job with reports from around the country. Some of their reporters need a break or they will get pneumonia. Poor old Pascal Sheehy eventually got a hat. Will Goodbody had some sense with his head gear. Is their some policy about head attire for reporters?

Remember, each has put a package together during the day. Then go on live, as well. Excellent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Until Jean Byrne retires, why even ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Both should be commended, but I think RTE clearly Trump's TV3, especially but not exclusively in layout and in how informed their reporters are. I get a sense of "I've no clue what I'm talking about" from alot of TV3 reporters.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Both should be commended, but I think RTE clearly Trump's TV3, especially but not exclusively in layout and in how informed their reporters are. I get a sense of "I've no clue what I'm talking about" from alot of TV3 reporters.

Relates to most topics actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I always take info from TV3 with a pinch of salt.

Personally, I think that they are tabloid tv.

Between the 4pm curfew, and the foot and half snow, they spouted a lot of moopoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ORACLE2 wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan looked great on Primetime Last Night,she was sporting a great set of Pins on her,Well Fit for sure.

Swoon indeed, I noticed that too. All the advice given, and her beautiful legs astonished me-I mean, I know she's a looker, but she kept those hidden. I missed most of the information given. I was...uh....distracted. ;);):D

As for Tv3 v Rte, the major difference I noticed was Tv3 approached it with more humour than Rte. Aisling ni Choisdealbha getting hit with a snowball, then laughing it off and joking about it later, introducing someone she was interviewing as 'her new bodyguard' wfor one thing.
    And then there was the camera man getting hit by a canoer.
    Rte was more serious, I suppose based on how so many idiots ignored Ophelia.
    (Those happy pear twins, for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

:P S'now joke, presenting live tv :D, but they must like TV3 to go to that attention to do that

https://twitter.com/3NewsIreland/status/969270758756306944

Advertisement